Stir in nuts. Did I miss something or was all of these ingredients meant for one pie? Also, streusel is a highly enjoyable word to say. Made this recipe? any other apple recipe at one time, consider purchasing an automatic The slightly crisp pecan streusel topping gives a surprising crunch in every bite. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. Strain the apples in a colander over a medium bowl to catch all the juice. A slice of leftover Apple Streusel Pie for breakfast the next day is a gift. The enticing smell of apples and cinnamon wafting out of the oven will make it clear why one pie will not suffice.. Cooks.com - Recipe - Apple Pie With Streusel Topping Home > Recipes > Pies > Apple Pie With Streusel Topping.APPLE PIE WITH STREUSEL TOPPING. Might try again with a couple of tweaks to the spices lol. So happy you liked it. You should – it slows down the sogging a little I think. Or the timing of the day gets wayyyyy off, and my father-in-law asks theatrically —  intended comically — when exactly we are going to eat, more like, “Hey, oh my God, where’s the food? since it debuted in 2012. You’re making three pies? For the streusel needs cold butter to do its proper crumbly thing. As most of my recipes are. Have you had this happen? 5 stars for flavor but 1 for looks. Thank you for this great recipe! Sprinkle evenly over top of apples. yay! When ever I try a new recipe..it’s always a week ahead of any dinner I am planning. It’s the best apple pie topping ever (says me). I use scone pans all the time to make scones because it gives a nice crust all the way around the scones and it takes away the step of rolling out the dough and … 5 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced into 1/4-inch slices* (approx 8 – 10 cups total – use a variety for better flavor, such as Pink Lady or Fuji and Granny Smith) 2 Tablespoons (30ml) lemon juice. It doesn’t mention in the directions but I noticed in the “what kids can do section” it said they can help whip the cream. Next time I’ll use half the butter. Great for the holidays! The texture of the apples was perfect so my kids are happy to have so much left for their ice cream! A tasty spiced streusel tops this sour cream apple pie. Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved, Holiday: Christmas, Game Day, Labor Day, Potluck, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, I'm Looking For: Cooking for Friends, Easy, Kid-Friendly. And did you refrigerate it? Freezing the butter before making the strudel topping works great too. Like this recipe? Great recipe. flour, sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt, and mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs SMELLS amazing! Can’t wait to try this tomorrow but have a couple questions. Bake at 400° F for about 45 - 50 minutes or until the apples are tender, and the fruit juices have bubbled up. Other than making the pie crust and strudel ahead and putting them in the fridge, could I make the custard separate and store it overnight, then fill the crust tomorrow before baking? ©2020 Workman Publishing Company. Trusted Results with Apple pie with streusel topping. I can’t think of a pie, or many desserts for that matter,  that streusel topping will not improve. Would you recommend increasing any of the other ingredients in the absence of the cloves? Can you sub the buyer for coconut oil(should I add a little salt if so?)??? :). I agree, it is the best ever! And yes, if you smear the butter too vigourously it would turn to paste. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt, and mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. But I think a custard apple pie is not for me and I will go back to more traditional recipes. cinnamon1/4 tsp. Other than that, many of my go to recipes are from this book. Thank you for “The Mom 100 Cookbook”. The custard was nice, and I probably would have liked the pie more if just cinnamon was used. This Caramel Apple Streusel Pie features a rich and buttery crust, an easy homemade caramel apple filling, and a toffee streusel topping. As a parent of two, Workman is no stranger to dealing with picky eaters or reworking leftovers into something exciting. You can make streusel topping in a number of ways:  you can use your fingers to cut in the cold butter, or two knives, but the easiest way I know, especially if you are making a sizable amount is to use the food processor. I made this last thanksgiving and it was a HUGE HIT. Anyway, back to that third pie. Bake until apples are tender when pierced with small sharp knife, covering pie loosely with foil if topping … Mix peeled … It would be better to use two knives to cut the butter pieces into the struesel mix, similar to cutting the pastry dough. Streusel is … I am so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience and wasted all those apples and ingredients. . PS even if i run out of heavy cream and sub in milk and butter it is still amazing!! Sometimes it’s called a crumble topping. Have you checked your oven temp with a thermometer lately? Beat in eggs. But when I baked it, most of their flavor seemed to get lost in the cream base~ All around a very nice recipe! Just in case anything bubbles over, you’ll want that … Hi, Rebecca! No More Coming Home with the Apple Uneaten :), Apple Pie With Streusel Topping and Optional Glaze, In a small bowl, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice to make a. I am on pie number 20. ★ BEST EVER Applesauce Maker ... when you plan to make LOTS! I did not put the clove n ground ginger.. like the recipe called for..I use those spices in pumpkin custard pie . I invested in a pie crust shield! The first 20 minutes the pie bakes with just the apple filling in the crust, then it bakes for another 50 minutes or so once the streusel topping has been added. Dutch apple pie with oatmeal streusel topping and a luscious creamy apple filling. This pie is delicious and my whole family loved it! If you are like me, you've probably had problems with the edges of your homemade pies turn too dark or get burned while baking in the oven. Bake pie until topping is golden, about 40 minutes. you are in the habit of making several apple pies, cakes, muffins, or chopped pecans 9-inch unbaked pie shell This recipe includes an easy food processor pastry recipe, but you can cut prep time significantly with a frozen crust or refrigerated pastry sheet. I just made this pie with purchased pastry pie crust dough, but of course, you can make a crust from "scratch" instead!! Almost everyone is a bit-of-this-and a bit-of-that when it comes to desserts and you don’t want to miss my sister’s cheesecake. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Easy enough recipe. Also I prefer a streusel topping with visible crumbs. These apple streusel bars are easy. Turned out awesome. lemon juice (bottled). I also get commissions made through other affiliates through this site. Place the chopped apples into … Then when you want a delicious pie for dinner.. it’s ready to bake. Once baked, the pie is not very firm. I am so sorry I didn’t see this until after Thanksgiving! Can you sub the cane sugar for palm sugar? Do we need three pies? This type of apple pie, with its streusel topping, is also known as Dutch apple pie. Followed cooking tip #1 (no food processor) second time around and it turned out beautifully! Made this for Thanksgiving and just made it again for Christmas. It needs a good 1-2 hours at room temperature to solidify and set up before cutting into the pie and serving. Remove foil, continue baking an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until streusel is golden brown and filling is bubbly. I used half the butter and sugar, and also used light cream ( clutch the pearls)! If you make it again, please let me know what happens? The pie filling is cooked to perfection on the stovetop, placed in a pre-baked pie crust then topped with a crunchy streusel topping and quickly browned in … I like to use a combination. Step 4. apple peeler, if you do not already own one! I will say I baked the pie in an unfamiliar oven so that always throws a wrench in the works. 6 or 7 apples, to make 7 c. 3/4 c. sugar 2 tbsp. But check the oven temp first! Just put it in the oven. More on that shortly. What did I do wrong? love that you’ve tried it with those things! See How to Make Great Streusel Topping in the Food Processor – a perfect crumb topping recipe for apple pie or just about any other fruit pie you can think of. The streusel, a combination of sugar, flour and butter, and in this case, cinnamon and ginger, is what makes it “Dutch”. brown sugar, packed1/4 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces1/4 tsp. So I am imagining that yours were gargantuan. And I have started cheating because I am making so many and using lucky leaf. Dutch apple pies sometimes involve a binder or custard filling along with the apples, as does this pie. Apple Pie w/Streusel Topping $29.95 I found that six Granny Smith apples was entirely too many. I bring just two to her house! Maybe this is a matter of taste or expected flavor, but the addition of ground cloves confused my palate. 2) Do i have to put the apples in the pie first and then put the custard or can i mix they apples with the custard and then put everything in at once? I always have some slightly tart Granny Smiths as part of the mix. Definitely gonna be in regular rotation. … cinnamon (or less)FOR THE TOPPING, 2/3 cup all-purpose flour6 tbsp. I have made this pie before and LOVED it. all-purpose flour1/2 tsp. Or, top with whipped cream, or whipped dessert topping. “Katie Workman’s book has been rescuing busy moms (and dads!) I make pies ahead of time..put them in ziplock bags and freeze . Streusel Topping: Stir together brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Preheat oven at 375 degrees with a cookie sheet on the center rack. The pie is great still warm from the oven, and as you can see, I firmly believe a wedge for breakfast the next day is a gift. Or, top with whipped cream, or whipped dessert topping.Serves 6 - 8. It was my first time making an apple pie with custard. or a mixture of Granny Smith and any other firm baking apple, peeled, cored, and sliced about 1⁄2-inch thick. Thanks for sharing. I followed recipe according to the directions, we let it cool 30 minutes but we cant call it pie. I didn’t include the ground ginger. All I can think is that your oven is low, because I have made this pie so many times….the soupy filling with crunchy apples and soggy crust sounds like a too low oven temp. All Rights Reserved. Apple Streusel Pie Tips. Allow plenty of time for this pie to set up. I just ♥ LOVE my hand-held knife sharpener (see below) ... HOW did I ever do without one for 20 years? Make the streusel topping: Combine the 1⁄3 cup of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, the ginger, and salt in a. Bake the Apple Streusel Pie on a sheet pan. I am planning to make it for Thanksgiving, but would love to do some prep work today. The streusel, a combination of sugar, flour and butter, and in this case, cinnamon and ginger, is what makes it “Dutch” as versus Regular apple pie which involves a pastry top. This topping mostly just dissolved. apple peeler, Deluxe Food Strainer and Sauce Maker by VICTORIO, Talisman Designs Adjustable Pie Crust Shield. Thank you for your time! I have made the dry mixture ahead of time, and then mixed the custard right before baking, and I have made the streusel a couple of days ahead of time and kept it in the fridge. They’re a mix between a classic apple pie and a crisp apple crumble packed into one delectable apple bar that’s sure to be a new family favorite! Thanks! Peel, core and slice the apples into small pieces. And now, problem solved, I make the pies at my house! For a long time I made them all at my parents’ house, the morning of Thanksgiving, at which point my mother always said with disingenuous surprise, “Oh! FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. “Kid the dough needs to be cold before baking.”. Or, serve pie with the option of adding the glaze to individual slices (for those who are "weight watching") ;), 9" unbaked pastry pie shell5 cups apples, peeled, cored, sliced and quartered1/3 cup granulated sugar1/4 cup brown sugar, packed4 tbsp. any other apple recipe at one time, consider purchasing an automatic The bottom layer is a simple shortbread crust … Apple streusel is a warm and comforting dish of apple cinnamon and crispy streusel topping. My main reason is I don’t like surprises or frowns .. here is a tip I use. Hmm I’ve never had that issue. Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing though! Let’s take a moment from the discussion of pies to say that Thanksgiving is both my favorite and most tension-producing holiday of the year. We’re starving out here!” which puts a pained smile on my mother’s face. Drizzle over the pie shortly before serving, or drizzle over each cut slice. Add butter and blend with a fork until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Successfully..chil everything..the pie crust the pie after it’s assembled and then put it in the fridge for 30, minutes before putting the pie in a hot oven.. My Aunt taught me this simple trick many years ago .. and I never forgot her words. You can put the flour sugar and spices in a bowl..grate the frozen butter in to the mixture toss and top the pie. This type of apple pie, with its streusel topping, is also known as Dutch apple pie. Thanks so much and I’ll definitely be making this pie again! Always remember..SAVE YOUR FORK…THERE’S PIE. It also needs to bake long enough for the crust to cook through, and not remain doughy, even on the bottom. I could have filled the other 9″ deep dish pie shell and baked two pies if I had had enough custard. It turned out DELICIOUS! Thanksgiving is always at my parents’ house, usually with twenty-some-odd people, and there are a number of other desserts on the table as well. Cover with foil. (Click on the Photos for more Information), *FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases with no extra cost to you, *FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon AssociateI earn from qualifying purchases with no extra cost to you. I made this pie for Thanksgiving. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the apples. This pie makes a YUMMY apple dessert recipe or a pastry treat to accompany a cup of coffee or tea! salt, 1/2 cup icing sugar1 - 2 tbsp. Bread: Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside. Put apple mixture into pie shell. I made a day ahead – with the custard style filling – what is the best way to store until tomorrow and keep the crusts texture? Signing up for our newsletter means you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg. It turned out great! How to make a Dutch Apple Pie Recipe with a streusel topping. flour 1/2 tsp. Dutch apple pies sometimes involve a binder or custard filling along with the apples, as does this pie. NO MORE Burnt Pie Crusts with a Pie Shield! Step 3. For streusel topping: STIR flour, rolled oats, sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Hoping it turns out ok. Or I forget to put a pan under the pie, and that causes the fire alarm to go off. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Apple Streusel Pie - All Recipes. For Crumb Topping: In a medium sized bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup of flour, 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup brown sugar and the 1/3 cup of butter with a fork or pastry blender. Roll your refrigerated pie crust into the pie plate. Thanks for the great recipe! I always use 6, and pile it pretty high because the apples collapse a lot when they bake. BAKE 1 hour. Another thing I love when making scones is a scone pan. Shake … It was a sloppy, gooey (but tasty) mess. Did you try it? Who also like leftover pie. One pie is gone in moments, and the second pie gets carved into, though there will almost always be some left. I know the title is braggy, and I’m sorry, but this Streusel Apple Pie deserves as much hyperbolic praise as it can get. Unless you have an apple that really loses its texture quickly when it is cooked, most apples are pretty great for apple pies. German apple cake with streusel topping is actually one of a number of different types of apple cake that are popular in Germany. This apple scone recipe has very little sugar in the scone itself with the bulk of the sugar in the streusel topping. Really, never.”  And I try to unclench and remind her that I, too, like leftover pie, and since Thanksgiving is not at my house, I make that third pie to feed my family and the 6 to 10 in-laws I have staying with us for the weekend. 1) I have all the ingredients but the ground cloves, do you think it will make a big difference in flavor if I do not add it? Decided to do two. The sweet, crunchy stuff also makes a great pie-topper. Too much butter. 3) Lastly, I have always put the streusel for my pies on the pie before putting it in the oven (without having to take it out). Maybe your butter was too soft? You don’t need to cook the apples a bit prior? If I make 4 of these every Thanksgiving (and others on demand!). It is a good idea to put a baking sheet under the pie pan as it bakes (you can put it right under the pie pan, or on a rack below if you have the oven space), as the streusel topping can tend to bubble over the side a bit, and trust me when I tell you that your kitchen will get more than a little bit smoky if that happens. This German apple cake is almost a cross between a cake, Dutch apple pie… Sign up now and receive my recipe newsletter full of dinnertime inspiration. Top the pie evenly with the streusel topping and place the pie onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Make the pie: Put the apples in the pie shell. Thanksgiving is always at my parents’ house, How to Make Great Streusel Topping in the Food Processor. We never seem to cut into the third. How to make apple streusel bars. We had 16 people over and for the first time ever I have LOTS of the apple pie leftover. And as I walk out the door on Thanksgiving morning with the two pies, I give a little wave to the third pie sitting on my counter and whisper, “I will see you later, my sweet apple streusel pie.”. Cut in shortening with pastry blender. The pie is not covered with a second pie crust, just with streusel. I am also an addict of this pie. I still have half of a pie in my fridge. You could give it a quick (and attentive) run under the broiler to crisp up the top a bit. In this Streusel Apple Pie, the apples are blanketed and bound up with a custardy coating, with a thick layer of sweet, crumbly streusel topping. Let the pie cool on a wire rack for at least 20 to 30 minutes, then serve it warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired (and who wouldn’t desire that?). Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon to the apples and toss to coat. Set aside. Back to Store. I made this yesterday for Thanksgiving and followed the recipe exactly. So I tweaked the recipe a bit, as I am always looking for a treat that won’t totally crash my WW program. Return to the oven and bake about 30 minutes more, until topping is crisp and browned and pie filling seems set. And when I tasted to ingredients before I mixed it all together, the notes of clove, cinnamon and vanilla read really well. Sliced apples are covered in sugar and cinnamon and topped with an easy, buttery streusel. But not any more for me! This is apple pie on a whole new level. Cream butter; gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Fill prepared pie crust. 1/4 cup ( 31g) all-purpose flour ( spoon & leveled) 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Place the prepared, quartered apples in a large bowl. Some other apples that make great apple pies are: Apple pie needs to bake for long enough for the apples to become fork tender, but not turn to mush. Pour the coated apples into the unbaked pastry pies shell. nutmeg Dash of salt 2 tbsp. Check Out Today's Top Trending Videos! That lovely crumbly sweet topping is really just pure joy. Main content starts here, tab to start navigating. And yeah, it does get a bit soggy, but you know, it hasn’t slowed me or my family down on the leftovers. Make the filling: Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the lowest oven rack; preheat … Bake pie on bottom rack of oven for about 25 minutes. I know there are many of you with me on this. Thank you thank you thank you!!! If I saved the recipe for my favorite apple pie. Combine the 1 cup of granulated sugar and the 3 tablespoons of flour, the 1⁄2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and the cloves in a small bowl.