Nice, round potatoes are generally poisonous. My post from two years ago on How to Grow Yams has continued to raise questions. If they can be divided I can get a much better return on the investment and have many more yams growing in the same amount of time. @2017 - PenciDesign. This is where Latin names … Air Potatoes which are likely to be poisonous: There are other images on the UF Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants page. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign. Although air potato is a member of the yam family, uncultivated species—such as those found in Florida— are generally bitter and may even be poisonous. There are preliminary studies on the use of the plant tuber for cancer treatment, anti-oxidation properties, and tumor inhibition. The edible air potato, or “winged yam,” does grow wild here and there in patches across Florida. Air potato does produce a species of yam, but is recommended to never eat as it can be toxic to humans. Plant a few strange new crops every year and you’ll be well on your way to having an invisible garden in plain sight. There’s a different look to the leaves, but the dead giveaway is the bulbils that form in late summer and fall. Plants on this list may not be introduced, possessed, moved, or released without a permit. Are the bulbils or root purple when you cut into them? The tubers can be used by boiling in the water like any other yams used. The oriental market is not carrying these right now. These are the incredibly rare edible air potatoes. The poisonous form is a global weed and makes quite a nuisance of itself. When potatoes are exposed to light, they begin to produce chlorophyll, the green pigment that gives … Thanks and looking forward to your permaculture insight. When I google Dioscorea alata I keep pulling up a purple yam. Would like to hear your 2 cents on this. That edible species, Dioscorea alata, should not be confused with the inedible species of air potato vine that grows wild across Louisiana’s native bottomland hardwoods and wetlands and is easily identifiable by the big, heart-shaped leaves that sit opposite one another along the vine. The bizarre thing about these plants is that each … Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.”, “Sounds like the cold got to it. Air potatoes, botanically classified at Dioscorea bulbifera, are not a potato, despite the name, and are members of the Dioscoreaceae, or yam family. Maybe they'll change their minds when food prices are so high, people will need the "invasive" foods that grow wild : ) Enjoy yours! Anyway, I have been excited about seeing my vines come back up but as of yet I have not seen any live action. They r growing totally wild out here in Reddick. It is a member of the yam family but is not edible … While looking at Ebay for Dioscorea Alata I ran across Dioscorea Trifida, the cush-cush yam. Five plants that look like Marijuana: a helpful... How To Identify an Edible Bolete Mushroom. So basically, if your bulbils are nice-looking, they’re probably the inedible type. Good question. Air potato can grow extremely quickly, roughly 8 inches per day, and eventually reach over 60 feet long. Go figure. It typically climbs to the tops of trees and has a tendency to take over native plants . They grow really fast. Yes, that’s right. What say you my fearless gardening Guru? You can also subscribe without commenting. Spread via birds and other animals may occur, but this has not been confirmed. Air Potato (Dioscorea bulbifera) is a perennial vine native to Africa and the Asian continent that is now found in 13 Louisiana parishes. Do you happen to recognize this yam and can you tell me if it will grow and survive in USDA zone 8b? This is one of the true yams that are tropical in origin. Growth rates of 8 inches per day with the vine reaching 65 feet or more in In a… "Land of the free"? Air potato has an insignificant in-ground tuber but the aerial tubers are edible and weight up to a pound. They are different from the wild forms growing around Florida. 8b is pretty cold, but it may overwinter with heavy mulch.”, “Hi David, I live in zone 4b of the US and was wondering if it would be possible to grow Chinese yam. The only drawback is that these yams are really big. I have grown multiple different types. I am david@floridafoodforests.com, Also I cut into one and they r yellowish orangish and kinda slimy inside like a yam or yucca. Both the hanging “air potatoes” and the roots beneath the ground are edible. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign, Q & A on Growing True Yams and Edible Air Potatoes, The Great South Florida Food Forest Project. All Right Reserved. Note: Chinese Yam is BY FAR the most cold-hardy of all yam species. How can I help? Weird crinkly edges, faceting, etc., are common to edible types. @2017 - PenciDesign. How these bulbils are spread throwing of the bulbils during the mowing operation. Five plants that look like Marijuana: a helpful... How To Identify an Edible Bolete Mushroom. These are edible varieties: Weird crinkly edges, faceting, etc., are common to edible types. The edible type is called Dioscorea alata. Some varieties, yes. But, you can't sell D. alata because it's an invasive food. I figured it would be about time for the vines to appear since the Eddoes are sprouting up all along the fence lines where I also planted the “purple yam”. What is your take on this? The information contained in this post is entirely about the edible cultivated varieties of Dioscorea bulbifera. If I am not mistaken your friend, Grower Jim, sells a Bulbifera variety that looks like a space rock that is supposedly edible. How To Grow Tobacco and Why You Should... Five Easy To ID Florida Edible Wild Mushrooms. Also, if it’s really wet, the roots will rot even in the tropics. Not that you should sit and watch the vines grow, but they can grow as much … I yam, and you can too. David I recently ran across a good deal on real “purple yams” at an Asian food market here in Mobile. They aren’t very pretty either! Air potato is a perennial, inedible yam; while it will die back during the winter months, it will readily grow back each spring from its underground tuber. Share this post! They are easy to grow & can be harvested ight off the vine. wat about those with thorns inside? Air potato is the enemy. The confusion over which ones are edible and which ones aren’t results from the fact that we have two main “air potatoes” growing wind in the state of Florida: one potential toxic and one that’s safe. Those are bitter and poisonous.”. The edible air potato is propagated via cuttings and via planting the hanging bulbils in the fall. Eaten raw or even cooked, the tubers could be poisonous.