“Fashion is in their blood, and I’ve always been surrounded by that influence.”. Maybe she’s right — either way, the 2020 Olympics will be thrilling to watch. Ashima Shiraishi est une grimpeuse américano-japonaise1 née à New York2 le 3 avril 2001. When they lived in a Manhattan loft on West 26th Street, Hisatoshi browsed for patterned cloth in shops; these days, he scours Etsy and online fabric stores for the Pikachu, anime and lucky cat-printed pieces that Shiraishi will eventually wear. “I’d watch the athletes every four years and think, ‘I want to be like one of them.'”. Please fill out this field with valid email address. your own Pins on Pinterest .. Terms of Use. 304.9k Followers, 387 Following, 640 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Ashima Shiraishi (@ashimashiraishi) And now, Shiraishi is preparing for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, setting her sights higher than ever before. What is the IFSC? Ashima Shiraishi, the 15-year-old American sport-climbing phenom, on the Olympic ruling and what it means for the sport. That’s changed me and made a huge part of who I am.”, Gil Duldulao Tells Stories Through Janet Jackson’s ‘State of the World’ Tour Performances, Crystal Moselle, in With the ‘Skate Kitchen’ Crew, The Lake Show: Oscar de la Renta Show Raises Funds to Keep Lake Tahoe Blue. Through all these big life changes, Shiraishi says, one thing remains status quo: her mother and father’s support. Lately, she’s been rocking head-to-toe thrifted looks. It was her first time going through a circuit of competitions and climbing with athletes from all over the world, but she rolled with it, and her cool, humble head led her to fourth place in two of the finals. Shiraishi will be competing on Team USA in the 2020 Olympics. Thank you.❣️ happy with my climbing in finals and made it to 4th place . Her relocation prompted some to question whether she might switch teams and try to compete for Japan in 2020. It’s happening in 2020 at Tokyo, and we’re rooting for Ashima for Gold. Despite having moved over 6,000 miles to pursue her sport, she’s remarkably calm — and grateful for everything that’s coming her way. One Olympic hopeful we've got our eyes on is 18-year-old climber Ashima Shiraishi. Climbing in the Olympics. Instead, she goes hard for a whole day and pumps out a pair an hour. 23h “You can have competitions globally. Hei, which, technically speaking, is among the most difficult climbs in the world. An App Could Help, The Best Face Masks for Winter Adventures, Aprés Deals Give You a Second Shot at Savings, The Best New Knives and EDC of December 2020. In spring 2018, Ashima moved to Japan with her parents. In just a few years, she became one of the most talked-about names in rock climbing—and, at 14, the first female and youngest climber in history to ever complete a V15 grade climb (the scale of difficulty goes from V0 to V17). Continue reading “Ashima Shiraishi is More Than Just a Rock Climber” → My first time in Chamonix and so many life changing experiences thanks for the photo @gajdaphotography, A post shared by Ashima Shiraishi (@ashimashiraishi) on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:34am PDT, “My dad and my mom met at a fashion university in Tokyo where they both went for school,” Shiraishi says. While the 2020 Olympic rock climbing hopeful has risen to prominence in the sport, Shiraishi doesn’t want to be defined solely by her ability to seamlessly maneuver up and down rocks and walls. • Natalie Theodosi and Tianwei Zhang. You find these little details and they help you excel and get closer to the goal. ,” when she wants to emphasize how she’s feeling. Once Hisatoshi has chosen the fabric, Tsuya gets to work on the sewing machine. “Climbing is something that I’ve been really passionate about since I was six years old, and even before that, my dream was to eventually compete in the Olympics,” Shiraishi said. Ashima Shiraishi competes during the semifinals of the Women Lead competition at the 2018 IFSC Climbing World Championships. When she was a kid — all right, a younger kid; she’s currently 17 — Shiraishi would climb Rat Rock in Central Park or go to Brooklyn Boulders in Gowanus for some indoor climbing. “Climbing itself, a lot of it is about solving the climb,” she says. Archives; Photos. Ashima Shiraishi competing at the 2019 Sport & Speed Open National Championships finals on March 9, 2019 in Alexandria, Virginia. Since she was a child, … The first time rock climbing takes the Olympic stage, 40 climbers (20 men and 20 women) will compete in three different climbing disciplines: lead, speed and bouldering. By Michael Finn. People are seeing it on TV. Those living downstairs complain that they hear and feel the intense vibration coming from the motor through the thin floors of their building. Ashima Shiraishi was six when her father first took her to Rat Rock, a climbing wall in New York City’s Central Park. Rock climber Ashima Shiraishi — who, at 15 years old was the first woman to ever ascend the second-highest grade of difficulty in the sport — is going through changes. Yet when I mentioned this to her and expressed my faith that she’ll win gold, she remained characteristically humble, referring to all the other “young crushers” out there that have just as good a chance as she does. The third in the extraordinary triad, Ashima Shiraishi, is riding the wave of a solid 2019 World Cup season (having earned fifth place at a lead World Cup event in Briançon, France, and ninth place at a bouldering World Cup event in Chongqing, China, in particular). © Copyright 2020  -  Penske Media Corporation, clock “I know I can get better, though,” she says during a phone call from her home in Tokyo. Ricky Phan/Courtesy Photo. Today, she is the International Federation of Sport Climbing’s three-time defending World Youth Champion. Her father is present for all her practice sessions, and is somewhat of a mentor. Keeping Her Eye On Acing The 2020 Olympics, 17 Y.O Ashima Shiraishi Is A True Symbol Of Inspiration. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, The Best Accessories to Have On Hand This Winter, These Goggles Are the Kit Upgrade You’re Missing, What Two Creatives Think of HOKA's New Hiking Boot, The 13 Best Neck Gaiters to Buy for Cold Weather, This Heated Vest Could Be Your New Secret Weapon, Want to Be a Better Skier? Since its formative years in the ’60s and ’70s, climbing has remained something of a fringe activity, occupying the outer edge of mainstream sports — but that’s starting to change. September 2020. IWB Post; April 22, 2018; While many of you would be busy finishing your high school, 17-year-old Ashima Shiraishi, an American rock climber is doing both – completing her studies and wowing the world, simultaneously. By the time 2020 rolls around, she’ll be a wiser, more experienced 19-year-old woman, continuing to push the boundaries of the sport. Congrats @jessy_pilz for your well deserved and emotional win and to @janja_garnbret and @allezjain for finishing the podium. Rock Climbing. But the more you try, the more you learn about it. Nothing is quite the same as this the climbs, the town, the mountains and the crowd all took my breath away. At the Denver International Airport Monday night, Colorado’s climbing community gathered to welcome home one amazing teen. The proposal also included karate, surfing, skateboarding, and baseball and softball (under a combined bid). Meet Ashima Shiraishi: Badass 18-Year-Old Rock Climber and 2020 Olympic Hopeful Despite having moved over 6,000 miles to pursue her sport, she’s remarkably calm — and grateful for everything that’s coming her way. IFSC Videos; Olympic Channel; Contact; COVID-19; About. Sep 12, 2018 - Explore Jessica Cairns's board "Ashima Shiraishi" on Pinterest. I think that after this announcement, more gyms will pop up and a lot of people will try it out, and they’ll fall in love with it.”. While pop music and climbing may not seem to have much in common, the athlete and singer do share a … Luckily, Shiraishi has four years to train. As a result of her accomplishments, Ashima has been followed by sports press for her entire childhood, and now, as … But in the now indefinitely postponed Tokyo Olympics, several sports are still scheduled to debut, including surfing, skateboarding, karate, and climbing. Other days, I’m just in Supreme. The more information you get from trying and falling, the more you can improve on what you’re doing. Bustle recently had the opportunity to sit down with six impressive athletes —