1 doctor answer. Noisy breathing (stridor), a high-pitched squeaking noise you hear when your baby breathes in. This leads to coughing, labored breathing (especially when lying down), blue (cyanotic) discoloration to the gums and can kill them. Most of the time this can be corrected by squirting a small amount of saline, which can be purchased at the pharmacy, into the baby’s nose and gently using a suction bulb syringe. This is often just due to a bit of nasal congestion which is completely harmless. Your baby’s snot can turn green as a cold progresses, just like it can turn yellow. Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s talk about all those odd sounds your little one produces. If your baby is dehydrated, feeling weak, coughing up blood or has trouble breathing, then it is also a sign that his cough is becoming serious and he must receive medical attention as soon as possible. She doesn’t show any sings of pain or trouble breathing but I can hear it, ... We rescued a baby kitten from the side of the road at about 5 weeks old. my 7 month old baby sounds like she has a lot of phlegm sounds like it's hard to swallow and shes coughing could i have gotten her sick since im sick? Causes. Yesterday nite, she seem to have problem going to sleep the sound like phlegm is very serious just like adult have a block nose. Excess baby phlegm in throat may cause breathing difficulty and interrupt baby's sleep, which could be dangerous! The classic symptom of croup is a harsh, brassy cough that sounds like a seal's bark. I remember waking up 2-3 times a night just to make sure he was still breathing. - BabyCenter Australia It's a good idea to check in with your pediatrician just to get a confirmed diagnosis, though. What sounds are normal and what sounds … Is there a way I can help her release her mucus ? Similar to how an adult may get winded after taking the stairs when they usually take the elevator. However, the symptoms qualify in so many circumstances to all more serious issues- that it is of key importance that you understand both, each- the good and the bad that can be associated with crackling sounds while breathing. ... My 2 months old baby has a cough (sounds dry), but he chokes on phlegm when coughing, and then has difficulty breathing. It tends to flare up at night, and a baby’s symptoms often include labored or noisy breathing (you may hear a high-pitched breathing sound when your child inhales), fever, stuffy nose, difficulty swallowing, irritability and a hoarse voice. Any remedy on how to cure? Barky Cough is when your baby has usually Croup, making it hard for them to breathe. Signs of Breathing Problems. Other people may only occasionally cough up small amounts of phlegm, or none at all. His breathing is quite noisy - sounds like he has phlegm in his throat when he doesn’t and he has ‘trachea tug’ where his throat draws inward when breathing in. To new parents, the term 'sleeping like a baby' can take on a completely new meaning. Pauses in breathing while sleeping. I've been told that newborns are still learning to breath and that's why it sounds like they have phlegm in their throats, but I'd never heard another newborn breath like this. Rapid breathing in an infant can present itself very differently in each baby. Baby sounds phlegmy and like he cant breathe : Since this morning (18 hours ago) bub has sounded ph lent and has started not being able to breathe properly when drinking from the bottle. He has also been waking more often and wriggles and makes phlegmy noises all night. Coughing with constant phlegm is typically caused by an infection present somewhere in the respiratory tract. The increased mucus in the respiratory system can make breathing more difficult, causing wheezing sounds in your baby and inducing coughing. Find out more about croup. Any whooping or musical sound produced while breathing by your baby is also a clear sign that he must be taken to a doctor immediately. Anyone have any experience with this?My 6 week old is being referred to a Pediatrics ENT for suspected laryngomalacia. It doesn't stop us mums from worrying though does it. It only lasts a few minutes after feeding and then goes away and he sounds normal. 4. Her cough is mainly cheery and croaky, and if she hasn't coughed in a while her breathing is quite croaky too (kind of sounds like a cat purring). I asked the pediatrician about it and she said it's normal - but it doesn't sound normal to me. Crackling Sound While Breathing: The Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments Any conditions, chronic or temporary can cause a rattle or crackling sound while breathing.