Redo Stairs Basement Stairs Basement Ideas Stair Redo Garage Stairs … My only suggestion would be to spend the extra $20 on an electric stapler or borrow one from someone. Once the carpet was gone, there were a bazillion staples and a tack strip on each stair tread. I was, This year has made me realize just how fast time g, Happy Fall! To create this article, 15 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. I can’t link to those, but I did find this one. Check out this tutorial on how to replace your outdated carpet with an inexpensive stair runner. I have been wanting to install a fresh carpet runner on my stairs, but pricing rugs at upwards of $200! Beautiful! Such good prices and good quality for the price for household items. References. I think they’re so beautiful and fill the house with style! If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. 00. After you staple, it will be next to impossible to correct any mistakes. I have large cracks like the one you’ve shown where the sides of my stairs meet the wall. Last Updated: February 10, 2020 My halls are decked! There are two methods of installing carpet on the stair: waterfall or French cap. If you decide to restore the wood, remove the tack strips with a … % of people told us that this article helped them. Free carpet samples, home consultations, expert advice and finance options available. Should I paint the stairs before installing new carpet on them? Nice! You could even use masonite. This looks incredible and your step by step guide makes it alot less intimidating to try. Of course, it handles floors (long carpet, fine carpet, and hardwood) with ease, but the way Hoover has designed this allows you to recline it to the point that it is nearly flat. I used a manual one and it was so much more work. Install one for now, closer to the rise; that way, you'll have an easier time gauging the center for the horizontal strips. Could the nails pass through the cables? Folding and holding strips of sandpaper while spinning the spindle made it really fast to do the curved surfaces. Is it OK to hammer the tack nails down if they're sticking up through the rug? Your email address will not be published. I used the carpet tool, you see in the photo above, to hold the rug in place while I stapled. ", "Learning what the strips were called so I could find a remedy helped.". Beautiful! I worried it’d be too much to caulk and that I’d have to replace treads and risers. I started at the top of the stairs since that is where your eye tends to look first. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. These stairs have needed a makeover for a while! How to Renovate Carpeted Stairs to Hardwood, a budget stair remodel. Paint the stair posts: Paint is by far one of the cheaper tools a DIY-er can use when in the midst of a home makeover project. If your stairs follow the standard dimensions, it will be much easier to measure and lay your carpet, as carpet runners designed for the standard dimensions will be easy to find. Next, you'll need to nail down tackless strips onto each step, which is how you'll keep the carpet in place after it's installed. Carpet tackless strips are almost always strips of Douglas fir wood, usually 4 feet long by 1 inch wide, with very sharp nails protruding through them at 60 degree angles and tacks or brads partially sunk in the strip. Amid the current public health and economic crises, when the world is shifting dramatically and we are all learning and adapting to changes in daily life, people need wikiHow more than ever. The most important step is to keep the carpet pad. Much like your most dependable doormat, treads are made from strong, durable materials designed to withstand daily foot traffic. Wooden Treads 95. is creative inspiration for us. You can find cheap carpet cleaner at Tesco for less than £30. And, you’ll be happy to know that regular carpet runners save your risers as well (the part your feed kick so that you don’t have to … wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. Make sure each step is as good as it can get before you move down to the next-- any mistake will cause a load of undue strain later on once the project is supposedly complete. Thanks for this wonderful post. Should I do the trim around the stairs and wall before having carpet installed? Keep moving the screwdriver until the tack strip comes up. Nonetheless, it is long enough to be used on typical stairs. You can mark your outline in blue masking tape for nice lines, then simply peel it off when you are finished. Then, use a staple gun to attach carpet pad to the treads. West Derby Carpets eXtreme® Jubilee Stair Rods ~ Antique - Easy Rods to fit Hollow Stair Carpet Runner Bars Affordable Cheap and New. It took me several hours to get all the staples, but you want to make sure there are NONE left. I’d love to try this, but I’m not sure i could get teh carpet tight enough! Our non-skid step covers provide extra grip for ascending and descending the stairs. $37- Paint (I bought a gallon, but only used about a quart). What is the best way to attach the runner to the floor on the landing? Thank you! Your steps/runner looks amazing. Use a pair of needle nose pliers or a small flat head screwdriver to get at difficult staples. Step 5: Freshening the stairs carpet … Here’s where a little bit of math comes into play. 5.0 out of 5 stars 8. If this is the case, you'll want to respect the properties of the design pattern while placing the carpet. The easiest way to accomplish this was with a circular saw. I', "Help me jump to compassion, not judgement." Also, it is a very compact and lightweight cleaner, and … How would I calculate the cost to carpet my stairs? FREE Shipping by Amazon. How to Carpet Stairs (with Pictures) - wikiHow. This is a serious tripping hazard, as there is likely nothing there to hold the second layer down and out of the way. Some carpet designs come with a design woven into it. 25' Stair Runner Rugs - Luxury Bergama Collection Stair Carpet Runner Nearly 1 Million Points Per Sq.Meter (Blue) 4.9 out of 5 stars 251. If you need to cover all your risers I would suggest using a thinner wood and cutting them to size to save money! « Client Project: Dining Room Transformation. You did such a fantastic job!!!! Two strips of padding for each step -- one of the step itself, and one for the rise. The nose is the part of the step that extends slightly past the drop, or height. Every day at wikiHow, we work hard to give you access to instructions and information that will help you live a better life, whether it's keeping you safer, healthier, or improving your well-being. The tool created a tight and crisp seam. 25 DIY Ways To Update Your Stairs. Ok, maybe not quite that many….but it sure felt like it! The stair … Thanks. Then it acted like a vise to hold the spindle while I sanded the flat sides with the palm sander then … Checkout Cookie Consent: This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience in our … Alternatively, you can use carpet glue instead of staples. Honestly, a longer rug will be much easier to use because you’ll have to hide fewer seams. Obviously the project was just a little more than finishing a beautifully built stair… After padding each tread, lay the carpet between your pencil marks and press it into the steps with a carpet kicker. So I peeled a corner of one of the steps away to see what was there… and tucked it back in before he got home. Again remember the best choice is the portable one. Then of course I told him about it, and showed him what I did… I’m not that sneaky! How are these holding up? It is an easy and fast way to install the carpet, and for this reason, many new home builders use this method. I’ve been anxious to share this inexpensive stair runner project I just completed last week. To create this article, 15 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. Then the tedious task of attaching all the small rugs started. Assuming you have standard-sized stairs, and allowing for 3 inches on either side to display the wood, you need 24 inches for each stair … Finally, trim any excess carpet from the bottom of the steps using a carpet knife. Thanks for the instructions. I’d been waiting for him to go out of town, so I could start this! Amy M says. A few questions: Why only the one riser? The stair carpet was crappy to say the least, and I really wanted my staircase to be amazing. Staple on the underside of the step noses, and nearest the angle between the tread and height. To hide the staples as much as possible, I attached the rug underneath the nose of each step and at the base of the riser. Plus, if you are installing the tiles on the treads as well, and not just on the risers, we suggest you choose textured tiles or anti-slip tape. I love the look of it! Excellent tutorial and I absolutely love your new stairs! Beautiful. How do I install a carpet runner on concrete steps? What adhesives should I use? Stairs just like any other parts of the room that needs to be decorated and maintain regularly. How to redo stairs on a student budget. We removed the carpet that was here when we moved in because we thought it dangerous. Great tutorial too. To attach the rug I stapled the underside first, then folded it over to hide the staples and edge of the rug. Before getting started, be sure to learn the terms for the different pa… A carpet knee-kicker, to help stretch and fasten carpets. If I have forgotten anything or you have questions, please feel free to ask in the comments below and I will do my best to answer quickly! We measured and drew a line to make sure we were only … What's more, a nicely decorated staircase can be the beautiful centrepiece of a home if it's presented in the right way. £12.95 £ 12. However, it's important to weigh up your options before proceeding to do it yourself, since paying a professional to install your carpet will result in a quality finish with less hassle than a DIY method. Find a good place to start removing carpet from stairs. I thought I just needed a little bit of space, but in reality, I needed about 3-4 feet around the sides of the stairs, too. You either need to map out where they are and nail elsewhere, or use short enough nails/staples so there is no chance of hitting the wires. I gave him a heads up, but he told me I needed to finish it before he got home from his business trip. As you go, hammer down all the staples on each step so they are flat. After you have the tackless strips installed, take care to be safe around them. An industrial stapler and staples, for securing the carpet. However, you can start from the bottom if you wish. Sharon, I’m so sorry I missed your comment! I've read the tackless strip instructions twice and still do not understand how to install them. (You want the sides of the rug to hang over the pad about an inch and a half on both sides.). Savvy homeowner dyes her dated brown stair carpet a chic shade of grey using bargain £5 Wilko product. I don't know what the subfloor … Try again or please call 0330 333 3444 for assistance. FREE Shipping by Amazon. To only spend $55 On the carpet would be amazing. thank you. One or two strips per step is enough, so long as you leave a strip for the height of each step to install horizontally. Can I install a temporary carpet over an existing carpet on stairs? Try to create a straight line with the staples when you are transitioning to a new rug. I measured the width of the rug, then subtracted 3 inches. I mean, some of the homeowners leave their stairs just the way it is without any decorations or accessories that would add the aesthetic of the houses. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. Once you know how to install carpet on stairs, it's a great way to save money. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Did mention he was only gone for a little less than 2 days?!? Unlock this expert answer by supporting wikiHow. Change your carpeted stairs to wood DIY! I’ve been anxious to share this inexpensive stair runner project I just completed last week. When did you paint the stairs? Can your share where you purchased the runner? Did you know you can read expert answers for this article? I don’t think so. I absolutely love the look and low maintenance of hardwood flooring, so I got this “great” idea (insert image of Lucy and Ethel in candy factory here) to have the stairway completely re-done, ditching the carpet … The standard stair is 30 inches wide. Great! Is there a reason why you used the stitched sides instead of the solid coloured sides as the edges? I have a landing in between two staircases that I would like to continue the stair runner on. In advance!! Where did you purchase the rugs from for the runner? Hello, I am preparing to do this on my stairs. Get it Thursday, Dec 3. I LOVE this paint because it goes on smooth and only requires touch ups-not a second coat!