So, Nicoya is another blue zone in the world alongside Okinawa (Japan), Cerdeña (Italia), Icaria (Greece) and Loma Linda (California). These geographical clusters have been defined as ‘Blue Zones’. Find out … Costa Rica’s Nicoya Peninsula is known as one of five Blue Zones across the globe, areas designated by a group of researchers as those with the highest per capita number of centenarians. Nicoya is located far off in Northeastern Costa Rica. But that is just it! The Nicoya Peninsula has five cantons where middle-age morality is lowest and centenarians are the most abundant. It might be, if one learns the lessons for living longer from the people in this area who have lived the longest. These areas where people live the longest and healthiest are known as Blue Zones: Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya, Costa Rica; Ikaria, … Dan Buettner, Blue Zones founder, is a National Geographic Fellow and multiple New York Times bestselling author. There are 42 centennial people in the Costa Rican peninsula, Nicoya. Hacienda del Sol is located 14 Km up the coast from Nosara, on the Guanacaste Peninsula of Costa Rica. Blue Zones are regions of the world where, ... they drew concentric blue circles on the map and began referring to the area inside the circle as the "Blue Zone". National Geographic fellow Dan Buettner identifies five ‘Blue Zones’ in Okinawa (Japan), Sardinia (Italy), Nicoya (Costa Rica), Ikaria (Greece), and Loma Linda (California). A daily routine of regular exercise is another theme that is common across all blue zones. In “Blue Zone Nicoya Peninsula”, residents live even longer than those in other areas of Costa Rica. Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica One of the 5 Blue Zones. Ticos, as Costa Ricans are commonly known, are proud of their country’s 100 year plus heritage of democratic government and social equality. Research shows that 30% of longevity comes from genes, and the remaining 70% from lifestyle. This area of Costa Rica is one of the last remaining areas that is only accessible via dirt roads which is one of the many things that makes it so charming. The five blue zones are: Loma Linda, California; Sardinia, Italy; Okinawa, Japan; Ikaria, Greece; and the Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica. The Nicoyan region of Costa Rica, located in the northeast of the Republic and bordering the Pacific Ocean, is considered another zone of […] Wait a minute you say—I don’t see treadmills and fitness centers in the remote Nicoya peninsula of Costa Rica. These cantons are: Carillo, Hojancha, Nicoya, Santa Cruz, and Nandoyure. He has discovered five places in the world ­– dubbed blue zones – where people live the longest, and are healthiest: Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya, Costa Rica; Ikaria, Greece, and Loma Linda, California. Blue Zone Photos: Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica How does an isolated community on Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast experience extraordinary longevity? Is it possible to live longer by just moving to Costa Rica’s Nicoya Peninsula?One of only five BLUE ZONE on the planet. The people in blue zones don’t need to artificially incorporate exercise into their lives with machines.