So, does my essay lack relevant ideas if I am not wrong? hi Pauline The truth is that there is no one fixed way to write an essay. “Governments should spend money on railways rather than roads. Do the overall advantages of using the Internet to promote human rights outweigh the disadvantages? Can I say that in the IELTS writing? I have read it, but I would appreciate if you could give me a short (and direct) answer :). How does this affect you or others when you travel? What makes vinyl wrapping stand out from body painting and other customization options is the fact that it is relatively cheaper. Band 8 Essay Sample. Secondly,if we see the disadvantages more than the advantages can we take the opposite stand. I believe that)? Thanks. Write at least 250 words. Cambridge 10 WT2 on Page 129: As a result, their argument is not logical and so their position and their conclusions are not clear. Hi Pauline, do you agree or disagree ? In this section you will learn about the structure of a “Do the advantages outweigh … The advantages are also greater when your employees don't interact with customers directly, such as if they work in a call center. I definitely will. Considering the various developments in the recent world, it is evident that globalization offers more advantages than disadvantages economically or otherwise. Hi again Pauline, 【首段范例】 The multicultural groups have become much more common than before due to the increased communications among various ethical groups. Infact, if something got damaged in their house, they really do not need to pay any external authorities that will charge them in terms of depreciation. to what extent do you agree or disagree ? Gattaca, a film, takes place in the near future, in a time when genetic engineering technology is used is used to create a perfect society. People now have the freedom to work and live anywhere in the world due to the development of communication technology and transportation. Why not send me an answer to this question that follows the plan you are suggesting here, and then I can answer more easily. People may not see how convenient car wrapping is but aside from this advantage, there are a lot more to which a motorist can enjoy. There is no single way, the answers are written simply to show the question can be answered and there is not always a commentary to help. IELTS WRITING TASK 2 | DO THE ADVANTAGES OUTWEIGH THE DISADVANTAGES | ESSAY | How to write the BODY AND CONCLUSION ? When describing a characters confusion, highlighting the deliberately confused sequence of events concerning the misuses of the I felt. 2. Read my free book to learn more about how to think, plan, and logically organise your ideas in writing task 2. The main advantage he identified was that having access to information meant he could advise younger members of his family and help them to make career choices. For instance, about ten years ago, we hardly saw kiwi fruit which is from New Zealand, but now it has a place on almost every fruit stand. People may not see how convenient car wrapping is but aside from this advantage, there are a lot more to which a motorist can enjoy. There are a number of reasons why living in a house is always a good decision. put your answer to the question in the thesis statement in your introduction, you can use the word “outweigh” in your introduction if you want, or you can simply explain if there are more advantages or disadvantages in your opinion, avoid formulaic statements for your thesis statement – this means don’t use a memorised phrase, have one body paragraph which gives details about the opposite side to your opinion, have either one or two body paragraphs which give details of the side you chose to support, re-state your opinion in the conclusion using different language. Included in an information pack is a document that analyses the main advantages and disadvantages of the most widely used refrigerants in cold stores and food processing, namely R404A and R717 (NH3, ammonia), when employed in mechanical … In analyzing some of the advantages and disadvantages of a partnership, you may conclude that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. This problem is then compounded when people put their own limits on what or how you ‘must’ write (especially the incorrect advice that you ‘must only write about the opinion you agree with’. Body paragraph 1: On the one hand, some people think that this responsibility lies with the government. However, others may disagree. The disadvantages of proactive policing do not outweigh the advantages in any way. For instance, in this question from Cambridge books: “Many people think that every individual is responsible for their own healthy lifestyle. Hello Pauline I will definitely send an answer based on the plan I told you. Submitted by javaduddupudi on Wed, 11/07/2018 - 07:06. I explain this point in greater detail in my free book: The Key to IELTS Success. Anyone can claim to be an examiner, in fact, examiners are not allowed to say that they are examiners on public forums such as a website. Thank you so much for your help. Going through your blog was really enlightening I have a question. When the question asks us “to what extent we agree or disagree with something”, and I completely agree with it, can I simply present my reasons for agreement, or do I also HAVE TO present the reasons why some other people might disagree and refute their arguments? However, education is often argued to be a more effective way. Do you agree that the advantages cars bring outweigh the disadvantages? We know this because the Task response criteria for bands 7 to 9 tell us this. (I hope you don’t see it as me insisting on my point). Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages? For example, a fixed parking space is allocated to each tenant in parking lots and they need to park their vehicles there, but house owners can park their cars in garages. Read about it all below. Advantages of Vinyl Wrapping . Which one? With your conclusion, the convention that I teach is that you should sum up your main argument (which is your overall main idea) and make your conclusion clear. I read this on a website that claimed to have been written by an examiner that when asked to discuss the advantages/disadvantages or causes/solutions, and we only discuss only one advantage/disadvantage or only cause/solution, this reduces the task response to a 5 since this is addressing the question only partially. In this modern era, several internet websites and social networking apps such as Facebook, Google, Flipkart, and Instagram are securing the confidential data of users during their sign up process. In other words, to decide whether you are prepared to accept the disadvantages because the advantages are so great. You’ll also find information about how the language you use helps to convey your position (read chapters 3 and 4 for this). the […] Infact, they park their cars right in front of their house and no one would ask them about it. My advice for these questions is to write a paragraph about each side, and make it clear in the introduction and conclusion which side outweighs the other (i.e. Afterwards, I follow this up with a conclusion where I state my opinion clearly. Visit this page to learn see what ou need to do to answer this type of question and see a sample answer. This post will answer that:https://ieltsweekly.com/do-the-advantages-outweigh-the-disadvantages/. For example I have seen the following shared as ‘a recent actual question’ with the date and city also given: ‘In many countries, prison is considered the best way to decrease crime. You’ll find it in chapter 7. My imagination is that if I agree that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, I kind of dedicate a paragraph for the advantages and how I agree with them and a paragraph explaining the disadvantages and how I believe they are less important in the same paragraph. In fact, you can own or rent a house or a flat. Advantages and disadvantages Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for you? Globalization has led to the development of a global market whose foundation is the … b. In this case, the disadvantages may outweigh the advantages. What other individual factors could contribute to the balance? 2) there is no special way to answer any question ‘type’ – all of the IELTS writing task 2 questions are marked according to the same criteria. The question is asking about which it is better to live in. in the conclusion only? Discuss both views and give your own opinion.” If I simply write an essay such as: Introduction: ……………. The term globalization has become recently popular in the modern world describing a wide range of economic, social and political trends. Always ask yourself whether the possible advantages of an intervention outweigh the disadvantages. If you feel that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, write two paragraphs for advantages and one paragraph for disadvantages. This site uses cookies. The strongest argument which can be made is that globalization has led to the advancement of technologies. some people say that students shouldn’t write anything new in the conclusion like any suggestion, is it true? I am often asked ‘How should I answer questions about problems and solutions, or questions where we need to say whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?”  The questions I’m asked often focus on numbers: ”How many paragraphs should write? Get help on 【 Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of genetic engineering? Always ask yourself whether the possible advantages of a treatment outweigh the disadvantages of the treatment.. or in both the introduction and conclusion? This seems band 7 to me. I really appreciate it that you take the time to reply. Hi Thomas, you need to answer the question – it doesn’t matter what your response is, only that you answer it. It is also common for synonyms of ‘advantages’ and ‘disadvantages’ to be used, such as ‘benefits’ and ‘drawbacks’, as can be seen in this sample question. In my opinion, the benefits of this exercise outweigh its drawbacks. The question asks if the advantages are stronger than the disadvantages so you need to give your opinion here. I really appreciate your efforts to clear each and ever doubt students have in their minds. The main advantage he identified was that having access to information meant he could advise younger members of his family and help them to make career choices. Some students just write about the advantages only but this is a wrong approach and you could lose marks. However, the exact age at … Advantages are more than disadvantages. This kind of question asks about the advantages and disadvantages and an important word here is “outweigh“. Do the advantages outweigh disadvantages?? Don’t assume that an examiner wrote an answer unless you are told that. Discuss. in the second paragraph I can write about one disadvantage and then present a counter argument. The “outweigh” essay question is not exactly the same as the Advantages and Disadvantages essay question. Hi Mam, Can I write about just one advantage and one disadvantage?”. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? I would really recommend you re-read the chapter. Yes, I have seen essay that only talk about or discuss railways in their answer and do not mention roads. Read chapter 7 of The key to IELTS Success – I discuss this in detail there. What happens if it was very expensive with no public funding? Disadvantages are more than advantages. Hi Paulin, Essay title: The Advantages Technology Has Given Us Outweigh the Disadvantages Many argue that as we venture further into the frontier of technology we proceed with a slow death of society, by losing culture and ultimately a sense of self. For example, for a patient suffering from severe and disabling insomnia, the potential benefits of longer and better sleep outweigh the risks. Also, you are not bound to obey any rules and regulations like people living in apartments have to face routinely. IELTS WRITING TASK 2 | DO THE ADVANTAGES OUTWEIGH THE DISADVANTAGES | ESSAY | How to write the BODY AND CONCLUSION ? Now we can taste fruits and vegetables from all parts of the world. how does that sound? Thanks. For such an essay, what could be more suitable and relevant ideas? (I’m sorry for a long question and many thanks for your help), No problem at all Lianna. I read this on a website that claimed to have been written by an examiner that when asked to discuss the advantages/disadvantages or causes/solutions, and we only discuss one advantage/disadvantage or cause/solution, this reduces the task response to a 5 since this is addressing the question only partially. Or should I explain the advantages and disadvantages with a neutral stance before stating my opinion? Problems can occur when people do not stop to think about their position and write simply to complete the task and focus only on ‘how many ideas/paragraphs’ they are writing. Always answer the very specific question you are given and spend time thinking before you begin writing. It may be quite aggressive but it is of important significance. It reduces the crime rate a great deal and improves the relationship between the police and the community and it sends a message that crime will not be tolerated at all. The advantages of a dress-down day are usually greater if the employees enjoy dressing casually and your clients don't mind. I understand that, but the book says this sample is written by an examiner as an example of a very good answer. He then explained the main disadvantage: that a nuclear disaster had almost occurred near his home because of information being shared carelessly. Some authorities think that it is more favorable for pupils to begin studying languages at primary school instead of secondary school. I do not believe that the supposed "advantages" of globalization outweigh the disadvantages. As a result, their, For example, one essay sent to me by a follower of my page concluded that the advantages of sharing scientific. Furthermore, people feel more comfort and peace in their life when they live in their own house. Thanks, Hi Karam, a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that you will always find examples that are different to the ‘rules’ you are given. Also, be careful not to change the meaning of the question – the first sentence of your introduction is different to what the question states (few = not many, which is not the same as ‘some’). I would only listen to a senior examiner when it comes to making pronouncements like that. Decisions about whether or not to use an intervention should be informed by the balance between the potential benefits and the potential harms, costs and other advantages and disadvantages of the intervention.