Let it cool on a cooling rack for at least 3 hours before serving. Add apple slices to a large bowl. Sprinkle flour on top. This Dutch Apple Pie is made with a store-bought pie crust (shh, don’t tell! Dutch Apple Pie Bread: This bread is so simple to make and had a great apple pie flavor. It’s been years since I acknowledged its presence. Feel free to make this pie with a store-bought crust instead of homemade. They are so easy to make and the perfect fall cookie recipe. Add the butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles yellow cornmeal mixed with pea-sized bits of butter. #applepie #dutchapple #pie #dessert #thanksgiving. In a large mixing bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon juice and raisins. For the dough: Pulse the flour, granulated sugar and salt in a food processor until combined. Add the sugared apples, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until apples are done. If you made it the night before, nuke it for ten to fifteen seconds or so. Where you make apple pie with a double crust, crust on the top and bottom, you only need the bottom crust for a Dutch apple pie. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. I don’t want to just kill this stuff and process it to death; the quality of the crust would be affected. I’d better make friends with my Stairmaster, and fast. Roll a couple of times. Shake the colander to extract as much liquid as possible. Set aside. Add the apples and granulated sugar to the bowl with the lemon juice, and toss. Some call for making a deep-dish pie with a lattice top, and others top it with streusel. Yield: 2 (9-inch) pie crusts. Remove the pie … Every item on this page was chosen by The Pioneer Woman team. Dutch apple pie has an amazing crumble topping made up of butter, flour and brown sugar that gives it a sweet and crunchy topping. (I did this with this pie at about 30 minutes) Pie … Slice the apples into about 16 slices per apple (a few more if you like the apples nice and thin, which I do) and throw them into a bowl. Place 1/2 cup butter into a heavy cast iron skillet, and melt butter in the oven. Keep flouring and rolling until it’s one big circle. Are you impressed at my meticulous and perfectionist pie edge? Pioneeer Woman's Caramel Apple Pie This caramel apple pie features an ultra flaky pie crust, a sweet-tart apple filling, a chewy crumble topping, and it's finished with a drizzle of caramel sauce. Bake: Bake for 40-45 minutes, checking the pie at 20 minutes to make sure the crust isn't browning too quickly.If it is, use a pie shield or a place a piece of foil over the top of the pie and continue baking. When you’re ready to make one of the best apple pies in the world, peel three good-sized Granny Smith apples. Sprinkle lemon juice on top. Line a 9-inch pie pan with half of dough. Apple crumb pie is one dessert I make every year about this time, and I love to enjoy it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or cinnamon ice cream). {Jump to Recipe} A craving for this impressive, deep-dish apple pie has been returning to me every fall ever since I first visited Amsterdam back in 2010. Cut 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup butter or margarine together, and top pie with the … Some recipes add cream to the filling. So I just placed a flat piece of foil over the top for the rest of the baking time. All rights reserved. Press the mixture into clumps and sprinkle over the pie. Step 5 Bake the pie in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the crust is golden. Remember that there is no neighborhood bakery. Salt: Add this to build some flavor in the crust and a hint in the topping. Squeeze handfuls of the streusel topping, and drop clumps of it on top of the filling to completely cover it. This Dutch Apple Pie recipe is the perfect way to enjoy fall flavors and fresh-picked Granny Smith apples this season! To make the crumble topping, combine the brown sugar, 1 cup flour, the chilled butter pieces and … How to make Dutch apple pie (The secret! For the printable recipe for the pie crust, click here: I’ve gotten a little lazy through the years, especially when I have a bunch of other cooking going on, and often whip up the pie crust in the food processor. Ease the dough round into a 9-inch pie pan. ), and topped with a rich, buttery crumble that’s totally irresistible. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon. Recipe Notes. Ree Drummond shares her favorite apple pie recipe—a delicious caramel apple pie ideal for holiday celebrations. I do about thirty very quick pulses. Flour the surface and the rolling pin. Bake: Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet, bake until apples … Look, I have other nice qualities. Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy. Where you make apple pie with a double crust, crust on the top and bottom, you only need the bottom crust for a Dutch apple pie. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a bread pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Bake: Bake for 40-45 minutes, checking the pie at 20 minutes to make sure the crust isn't browning too quickly.If it is, use a pie shield or a place a piece of foil over the top of the pie and continue baking. Peel and core the apples; cut each in half, and cut each half into 4 wedges. Slightly flatten each ball, seal the bags, then place ’em into the freezer until you need them. Try to keep the peel in one long spiral. Learn how to cook great Pioneer woman apple crumble . A rich, decadent apple pie with a crumbly crunchy filling. To assemble and bake the pie: Position a rack in the lower third of the oven, place a baking sheet on it and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough disk into a 12-inch circle. Stir the apples and set ’em aside. For crumb topping, cut the butter... Add apples to prepared pie shell and top with crumb topping. And by more, I mean a thick layer of buttery crumb topping. This will keep the edge from getting too brown too fast; we want the pie to bake long enough for the apples (and the sauce) to do its thing. Step 5 Bake the pie in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the crust is golden. Dutch Apple Pie - this is my all-time favorite apple pie! Top with crumble. Remove from oven and allow to … In large saucepan, boil raisins and water until liquid is almost absorbed, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool on the counter. Set aside to cool completely. Then, what I like to do is make a little foil rim and fasten it around the edge of the pie crust (I do two halves and hook ’em together.) Put it on the floured surface. The pie filling is cooked to perfection on the stovetop, placed in a pre-baked pie crust then topped with a crunchy streusel topping and quickly browned in the oven. Dutch Apple Pie Bars: These bars are perfect for serving at a party or holiday get together. And flour, to give it all a little cohesion. (The cooled filling can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 6 months.). Trim off the excess around the edges, leaving enough dough for you to do something with the edge. Dutch apple pie with oatmeal streusel topping and a luscious creamy apple filling. A little dough will stick to the pin. Preferably used unbleached over bleached for best flavor. The unique crumb topping of butter, sugar, and flour is what sets this dessert apart. For the streusel topping: Whisk the flour, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl. Decorate the edges as desired. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/dutch-oven-apple-cobbler Try to Have Just One Slice of Caramel Apple Pie, How to Choose the Best Apples for Apple Pie, Spiced Apple Pie Has an Unexpected Ingredient, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie, and Chevrolet, Apple-Pear Lattice Pie Is the Perfect Fall Dessert. Ideally, you’d do this with a pastry blender to avoid overdoing it. The difference between Apple Pie and Dutch Apple Pie is the streusel topping. IS IT BECAUSE I WASN’T TAN LIKE YOU? https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/10033-pennsylvania-dutch-apple-pie This easy Dutch Apple Pie recipe has everything I love in an apple pie AND MORE! The bakes bread will just be taller.) Roll out pie dough and place it in a pie pan. Instead of crust on top, the topping on Dutch apple pie … Recipes for Dutch apple pie can be found all the way back to 1514, listed in the cookbook, "A Notable Little Cookery Book.” It was a simple and straightforward way to make something that has so many variations today. All rights reserved. Toss the apples with the thickened juice, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Break topping (it will harden in refrigerator) into pea-size crumbs and distribute evenly over apple mixture. Flour again. Learn how to make a deep-dish Dutch apple pie, which is a spectacular dessert with a crunchy crust, tons of apples, and a generous sprinkle of spices. Pioneer woman apple crumble recipe. Flour again. Well done.” For Sylvia’s pie crust recipe has made its mark on many a family’s Thanksgiving table. https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/dutch-apple-pie-2 You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, You Can Never Put Too Much Icing on Cinnamon Rolls, You've Got to Make Ree's Luscious Chocolate Pie, You've Got to Try Ree's Favorite Christmas Cookies, Ree's Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe Is So Delicious, How to Make Royal Icing Without Meringue Powder, Try Ree's Mother-in-Law's Christmas Rum Cake, Shortening Substitutes You Likely Already Have, Molasses Swaps to Use for Your Holiday Baking, whole Large (4 Or 5 Small) Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, Cored, And Sliced Thin. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/caramel-apple-pie-2651… And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. Try it for Thanksgiving this year, and be sure to serve it with a big dollop of hard sauce, which we made here yesterday. It's starts with a flaky homemade pie crust, then a deliciously flavorful apple pie filling and it's finished with an sweet and buttery streusel crumb topping.