in Electrical Engineering and landed a great first job which paid well with my own office. Best reply yet. I never jump fully into something without evaluating all of the other options. I'd far rather die young doing something I like than living to an old age of boredom and monotony. Hello Reddit! Life at Reddit Staff • April 30, 2019 July 28, 2020 Reddit NYC is Growing, Join Us! We are one week away from our annual Extra Life Charity Event. What type of lifestyle does starting (Mechanical) Engineering salary let you live? Went to places I never thought I'd go and will likely never see again. Industrial engineering is the practice of designing and optimizing facilities, equipment, systems and processes for manufacturing, material processing, and any number of … Reddit users slam vegetarian who demanded organic, local produce at Thanksgiving dinner to cater to her 'dietary restrictions' Digital Staff . Simply providing most useful information search by the mechanical engineering students like Mechanical eBooks, PPT, Mechanical Aptitude Questions, etc. Having children/starting a family. Take on challenges. The thought of going on say a wildlife expedition or some other kind of expedition is very appealing but I would have no idea how to start that. I'm coming into my Junior year at University and it is occurring to me that adult-life expenses cost money, but with a full salary I'll be able to afford them unlike now in college. Engineering is the application of science and math to solve problems. Mechanical engineering day in the life This is a day in the life of a mechanical engineering student at ETH Zurich. In addition, being a tour guide, rafting guide, surf instructor, etc sounds appeals but again I have no idea how to start in it. Engineers conduct research and tests, such as determining how well a new type of concrete can withstand earthquakes. Engineers apply the knowledge of math & science to design and manufacture maintainable systems used to solve specific problems. I live in the Midwest and mech engineers at my company start around $60K. Employer-paid health benefits. The TikTok personality says there is “no way on earth” she would give her organs to a meat eater. I can second all of this. I've calculated a budget before it was just a lot less money. the ocean counts as wilderness whereas a construction site does not). Cookies help us deliver our Services. Henry Lin Senior Engineering Manager. But I stuck through it to get to what I know is an excellent mod in it's base form: Immersive Engineering. Everyone want to own nice things, but those nice things end up owning you. Dont buy a new car. All the internal hardware pairs up with a 15.6-inch Full HD multitouch display. In this section, we will discuss the perspective of these two careers so that you can get a glimpse of what to expect from each of them.Ask any businessman, who they depend upon most? Some were the great destinations everyone talks about, but some were just regular old cities, but it was great to experience all of it while getting paid. Read the sidebar BEFORE posting. not a lumber jack). Work with other people, perhaps in a team and at least have people to keep me company. Again, I know it feels like I'm asking for the impossible so anything that comes close to matching all of my "likes" would be great. I don't plan on having children (for a number of reasons which I wont list) so I don't need the stability or salary that an engineering job would bring. r/engineering is **NOT** for students to ask for guidance on selecting their major, or for homework / project help. It is my belief that in order to be as happy as you can be in your engineering career and life, you must be yourself all day, every day. Some/most civilized comforts. Getting a significant other, who eventually will move in with you will help reduce rent and other bills. All I need is somewhere to sleep, food, and other essentials. How one does this varies. However, increasing your 401K savings rate by 3% really starts to add up over years and it helps avoid lifestyle creep. Wild scenes as Melbourne Kmart store opens after lockdown . It's not that I dislike electrical engineering (I graduated with a high GPA having conducted research in the area) but I feel like I'm missing a sense of adventure and activity in my life. With more than 330M monthly unique visitors and 18+ billion views per month, Reddit … Reddit Grows its NYC Business with Executive Hires and New Openings Across Brand Partnerships and Ads Engineering Systems Engineering Life Cycle for an SoS [1] (Click image to enlarge) It is not uncommon to consider SoS development as a one-time activity and to focus only on a single wave of development, expecting that integration across a set of systems can be done in a single development and fielding, as we often do with systems. I'm looking for advice on what kinds of jobs are available that would meet most of, if not all of, my interests. I'd love to do an internship in some area and find what I like, but again I don't know where to look or what to look for. Unlimited vacation days. Having a job that allows me to be physically active and stay in shape (but not in a monotonous and repetitive way e.g. I don't have the need to buy luxurious things. Group Projects. I like working together with other people to accomplish something. That means it’s time to come together and help raise money to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.. Join us — and dozens of communities — on Saturday, November 7th as we break out our controllers, dust off our keyboards, position ourselves accordingly, and play games for a great cause! Yes, you are right – … I realize that not everything will be an adventure. How is the electrical engineering lifestyle? Free meals. For an engineering project, the typical life cycle looks something like this: Conceptualization. India About Blog This blog is for mechanical Engineering students by a student, Himesh Darji. For me this is such a major decision that ANY help would be appreciated. In addition to helping you properly compare offers, it will also help you understand what your budget needs to be for each location. Engineering is all about laziness in the name of a better life. If you’re going to be an engineering student, which likely leads you to being an engineer for the next 30+ years of your life, you had best learn to cook. If you want expensive sports cars or a luxurious home, you will need to find a spouse with a similarly good salary. I hope this question doesn't come off shallow. Hello, redditors! Reddit users slam new mum for naming her baby after Pikachu from 'Pokemon' Digital Staff . Engineering Mentorship. I work within the scientific community and due to its international collaborative nature I get to travel all over the world for free. r/engineering is **NOT** for students to ask for guidance on selecting their major, or for homework / project help. Being an engineer in the Philippines isn’t as easy as many think it is. 4 months parental leave, plus up to 4 months disability leave for delivering mothers. If you are passionate about human health and have an aptitude for math, a career in biomedical engineering may be the right choice. For instance traveling a lot isn't conductive to having children. Read the sidebar BEFORE posting. r/engineering is a forum for engineering professionals to share information, knowledge, experience related to the principles & practices of the numerous engineering disciplines. If you need to contact a branch of the government of the City of Virginia Beach, please locate the department or departmental division listed below. Published: Saturday, 31 October 2020 8:18 AM. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Childcare support, and much more. 7Lifestyle. Get a spreadsheet together and put together all of your current expenses based off what you're spending monthly. I have a family now and still do a little traveling, but it's not exciting anymore. My advice is to put it into a Roth IRA (limited to $5500/yr) and in an index matching fund within the Roth. Save up 4 months of salary into an emergency fund. Unless you have kids. And there is depression. I'd rather go home at the end of the day. Would have saved me about 5k a year. The Magical Elevator. Wild scenes as Melbourne Kmart store opens after lockdown. Education and pet care stipends. Join our discord channel to chat and report bugs!. Life at Reddit; Community; Product & Design; Lifestyle; Technology; Partnerships; Podcasts; Videos; Facebook; Twitter; Instagram; Search. Look around and you’ll only see industrial engineers - your cup, your laptop, your scarf: everything needs someone to plan their life cycle. Bonus advice (it took me a while to figure this out so I'll save you the trouble)...Don't get comfortable in your job if you want to see significant increases in your salary. I tend to treat raises as opportunities to increase my 401K savings rate. Architects vs. A lot of this is location dependant. Setting Big Picture Engineering Career Goals is the Most Important Thing You Can Do in Your Career and Life February 20, 2013 By EMI Engineers like data because it … AND Engineers from Government engineering colleges have a completely different SWAG. Life at Reddit Staff • April 30, 2019 July 28, 2020 Reddit NYC is Growing, Join Us! I'm 22 year old and recently graduated with a B.S. Frequency 2 posts / quarter Blog … Engineering concerning lifestyle and unhealthy habits. Thanks though I'll take all of this into consideration. It got me rent and bills, a note on a used car, eating out 2-3 times a week and a night at a cheap bar. Engineers evaluate problems, processes or products to determine logical solutions. Play Video . As an engineering student, you will most likely be using up most of your time studying and trying to pass your subjects. Keeping in touch with the public is a top priority of the City of Virginia Beach. Thanks! Here are … You start in the stone age, gathering flint and grass to make your first equipment. TLDR; live within your means and anything can be comfortable. Life News -Engineers are being drawn to more lucrative industries such as banking, a move with serious repercussions that are already being felt, veteran engineers say.. Read more at … I've had a lot of interesting responses from friends and family when discussing the change, running the full gamut from incredulity to encouragement to contempt. On the other hand, most students don't really know why they want to be an engineer, let alone what type of engineer. Engineering students are almost always expected to be on top, but this is challenging to do when they have problems to juggle not only in academics but also in personal life. The good life mention includes the ability to say "f*** you" to any work related bullshit (and you have no idea how valuable that is). Although it's actually a pain in the ass now I have kids. In addition, the machine delivers up to nine hours of battery life. Some of them you'll have room for $150 a month in fun money, others you'll be lucky to get $50 every other month but if the job is something you like or the area is, go for it. This member of the Montgomery County School Board (Va) decided that wearing a see-thru lace mask at a public meeting of the school board was a responsible way to proceed right now, during the worst surge of covid cases in Virginia. Studying Industrial Engineering is flexible - you can pursue a more technical or a more management-oriented path, customising your approach to Industrial Engineering. Compare cost of living and adjust your current expenditures based off that. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the AskEngineers community. Ill-Advised A fire engineer, who could not speak Arabic, was finding it difficult to market his … Thus, I've made the decision to quit my job and pursue something that interests me but I don't know what I should do so I'm looking for advice perhaps from more experienced people. It's certainly enough to live a nice, middle-class lifestyle, but nobody's living a life of luxury on an engineer's salary. It was fun but I wish I saved some of that money. If it were a matter of finding a different job, I wouldn't have a problem doing so, however, I begin to realize that sitting in an office (or cubicle) working mostly by myself all day (or most of the day) was boring, tedious, and left me mentally (and thus physically) drained. There are different areas of software engineering and it serves many functions throughout the application lifecycle. I love that you can indulge your interests in weird cat memes as equally as your political, news-minded or sci-fi curiosities. Engineers figure out how things work and find practical uses for scientific discoveries. If you like experiences like traveling, the best deal is to get a job that'll send you places on the company dollar-- a traveling gig like a field or sales engineer. Engineering Management Program Overview. Engineers apply the knowledge of math & science to design and manufacture maintainable systems used to solve specific problems. Thanks! New Recipes Unlike crafted gear from other professions, Engineering goggles do not have a socket when crafted. Don't fall for life style creep, pay off any debts and you'll live the good life. Some of your options include engineering work in the mechanical, software, biomedical, chemical, environmental and electrical fields.With so many choices, it’s almost certain that you’ll find a sector that’s just right for you. It’s the accountable community of life hackers who will help you grow and achieve your dreams. It was easy living money for sure...not high rolling...but easy living. Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. Engineering Podcasts – Designed for Life-'Designed for life' aims to entertain, inform and inspire, bringing the worlds of business and industry together. > Day in life > A Day In The Life of Aerospace Engineers. There are tons of different sectors in the engineering industry, which gives students a lot of options when choosing a career path. A 12 year old boy and his … The Truth About Textbooks. Childhood nostalgia can be a powerful thing. Lifestyle Engineering is the mindset and methodology of intentional living to achieve happiness and success. Beyond engineering, I have adhered to this advice in my coaching and speaking career, as well as in life in general. Engineering Struggles Just when you thought graduating and passing the licensure exam in the Philippines is the end of all your engineering challenges, wait ‘till you get into the world of employment! I started in vriginia at 60k 9 years ago. If you become CA, your work pressure will increase, but still, you will not have 16 hours a day every day. Time to start budgeting like an adult. Then the penalty is waived. Regarding budgeting, when I look back to my early 20s I sort of regret all the money blown on going out all the time. ... About Blog Learn about Machines, and daily life science. Working Life of an Engineer. If you’re going to be an engineering student, which likely leads you to being an engineer for the next 30+ years of your life, you had best learn to cook. If you reach the point where you need to compare offers in different locations, I strongly recommend creating an Excel spreadsheet that will help you calculate federal and state taxes, take into account rent and other expenses, and show you what you will actually have left over every week/month. Introducing modpack, based around progression-through-ages system, but without strict restriction, only with changed recipes. AskEngineers is a forum for questions about the technologies, standards, and processes used to design & build these systems, as well as for questions about the engineering profession and its many disciplines. I have a high tolerance for being alone (ironically) but it doesn't make me happy. At the point which a need or opportunity is identified, an agency begins to develop a conceptual plan for a new product or service. Also look at apartments where you're considering jobs, look at the typical monthley cost there. Published: Wednesday, 28 October 2020 12:53 PM.