All of the mushrooms that produce a black liquid as they mature are referred to as inky caps. Coprine may also affect the body if ingested shortly before alcohol consumption. I love to find and photograph wild mushrooms. Great information as always. The mushroom has a good reason for this “self destruction”. Mystery solved!! Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on June 09, 2014: Thank you very much for the kind comment, Bill! Hi, seanorjohn. group shown here. diameter, the white caps of the Shaggy Inkcap darken and deliquesce from the lower edge, I appreciate your visit! Fungi are, in fact, their own kingdom. The mushrooms are at different stages of autodigestion. Coprine stops acetaldehyde breakdown, thereby intensifying and prolonging the effects of alcohol ingestion. In normal alcohol metabolism, the body converts the alcohol to acetaldehyde. April to November in Britain and Ireland, but most plentiful in As a safety precaution, only consume small quantities when trying a mushroom for the first time, and always cook mushrooms thoroughly. These inky caps often do occur in forested areas at the base of dead trees and stumps. What is this mushroom / wavy cap look alike. The mycelium produces aerial mushrooms to distribute the reproductive spores of the fungus. In the early stages of fruitbody development, Coprinopsis picacea looks very similar to Coprinus comatus, but it is covered She loves to study nature and write about living things. CMHypno from Other Side of the Sun on June 06, 2014: The breadth of your knowledge never fails to amaze me Alicia. Another educational and interesting hub, great job. The Shaggy Inkcap is a good 'second division' edible species although lacking somewhat in flavour compared with Ceps, Morels or Chanterelles. You can almost picture a drunk mushroom picker learning his lesson for the first time, then trying it again, and again before figuring out he's on to something. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on April 30, 2020: They sound very tasty! Antabuse is an interesting substance. am areful to only pick the type I know are fine. Saprobic; on grass verges and lawns, at the edges of footpaths, Shiitake mushrooms are tasty, healthy, and widely available in grocery stores where I live. Some fungi produce gelatinous hyphae, but I don't know if these can produce a texture like marshmallow. My local stores sell quite a wide variety of mushroom species, which satisfies my desire for different tastes. Or a child or pet. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on September 07, 2019: The cap of the mushroom contains the spores. Rebecca Mealey from Northeastern Georgia, USA on June 06, 2014: Very interesting, Alicia. Coprinus atramentarius, Inky cap (edible with caution, avoid alcohol) Coprinus comatus, Lawyer's wig (edible when young) Crepidotus mollis, Jelly crep (not edible) Fomes fomentarius, Horse's hoof, Amadou (not edible, good tinder) Ganoderma apllanatum, Artist's conk (not edible) Geastrum fimbriatum, Fringed earthstar, sessile earthstar (not edible) Auden saw as the fairy tale's power to produce "symbolic projections of our own psyche. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on June 11, 2014: Hi, ignugent17. Linda Crampton is a writer and teacher with an honors degree in biology. As in all fungi that produce mushrooms, the body of the shaggy mane fungus consists of thread-like structures called hyphae. Like the shaggy mane, the common inky cap has been known to push through asphalt as it grows. It has a different chemical structure from coprine, but like coprine it prevents acetaldehyde breakdown in the liver by inhibiting the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme. Thank you very much for the lovely comment and for making the effort to visit my hub, Faith! One of my university professors told my class about a fungus expert who died after eating mushrooms that he had misidentified. The surface is covered by listening granules that are soon lost. I've never thought of that before, but you're right - "inky cap" does sound like something from Monty Python! Thanks for the comment, the vote and the tweet, Peggy! But I use them in few recipes occasionally since my husband likes it. FlourishAnyway from USA on June 03, 2014: This is so interesting -- the uses and their odd characteristics. The production of an inky liquid is not the shaggy mane's only claim to fame. the cap breaks into pale flaking scales that stand out from the cap THANK YOU FOR THIS ARTICLE!!! I don't see mushroom pickers near my home, but I do see some very interesting varieties of cultivated mushrooms at local farmers markets. Thank you very much for the comment, the vote and the share, Carolyn! My father used to take us mushrooming when we were young. Field Mycology Volume 2(1), January 2001 28 A B C Fig. He was both a writer and an illustrator. 24 Fire Dragon 60 Colourful painted wood and smoke 45 Colourful tiger 63 Painting by Janiaczyk 35 Fantasy art - beautiful girl 42 Bottle cap art 63 French landscape painting J.M. Voted up, interesting and informative. The mushrooms should be collected from an unpolluted area while they are still in excellent condition. Fungi are fascinating. Acetaldehyde is responsible for most of the symptoms of a hangover. This and other members of the genus Marasmius are sometimes referred to as 'resurrection mushrooms' - they can dry out completely in hot sunny weather and yet, when eventually rain soaks them, they reflate and regain their characteristic shape and colour. Unlike plants, fungi don't contain chlorophyll and can't produce their food by photosynthesis. Now recognised as belonging to the family Agaricaceae, because it was the type species of the Coprinus genus it has taken that generic name with it. The stem ring becomes stained with black spores; it soon becomes Digestion of the cap enables the fungus to distribute the spores and reproduce. This is a subject I've wanted to learn more about. I wouldn't want to experiment with it! Caps are reddish-brown to tawny to ochre-brown, becoming grayish particularly near the margin. The Shaggy Inkcap is a much more common find than the so-called Common Inkcap, Coprinopsis atramentaria - demonstrating just how confusing common English names can be, even though the intention behind their very reason for existence is to make mushrooms a little less mysterious... what chance? Recovery is apparently complete, although it's possible that secondary effects could be serious. When the wearer matches the wig cap they cover their natural hair with, or if the wearer has lost their hair due to illness and attaches the wig to their bald head, the crown area will expose what looks to be their scalp thanks to the undetectable hand tied blending into their skin tone. What a good job, and so informative! The alternate names of tippler's bane and alcohol inky are certainly appropriate for this fungus. These common inky cap mushrooms are undergoing autodigestion. Additionally, pick mushrooms with white, tan, or brown caps and stems, but avoid red mushrooms, which are typically dangerous to eat. The dye can be used to color wool, fabric, and paper. In the United States, the Liberty Cap mushroom is the most prevalent, growing along the coast of western states, specifically in Oregon and Washington. They can be very useful organisms! Very helpful tips for avoiding the poisonous shooms too! Not only do the reconstituted mushroo… Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on June 03, 2014: I don't trust the thought of foraging for mushrooms in the wild to scared of picking the wrong ones. on top. Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna welcomed their daughter, Dream, in November 2016 via C-section and have been posting sweet pictures of the little one ever since. If symptoms are severe or last for a long time, medical aid should be sought. Voted up and shared. John Hansen from Queensland Australia on June 03, 2014: Very interesting hub Alicia. Christiaan Hendrik Persoon transferred the Shaggy Inkcap, as Coprinus comatus, to its present genus in 1797. Although these mushrooms are more commonly seen in grassland and other open habitats, this line of Shaggy Inkcaps, part of a huge but incomplete fairy ring, appeared in a conifer plantation in Wiltshire, southern England. ... •Alcohol inky + booze •Iodine-scented Agaricus species, Poison Pie •Poison Pie, Deadly ... Cap pitted. At one time it was thought that coprine might be a good substitute for disulfiram in treating alcoholism. It isn't actually made from mushrooms, but it has similar effects to the alcohol inky. The lines appear just after a stanza about other fungi and are commonly believed to be a description of a shaggy mane mushroom undergoing autodigestion. Hi, Bill. They either have no poisonous look-alikes or can be differentated from look-alikes by verifying all the key characteristics and comparing the mushroom against the listed look-alikes. initially white. Ellipsoidal, smooth, 9-13 x 7-9.5µm; with a germ pore positioned centrally or slightly eccentrically. Does it leave behind anything in the soil or on grass? Some fungi are more active than others in their effort to get food. The mushroom appears in the fall and grows in soil and grassy areas, in areas where wood is decaying, and on disturbed land. Like the shaggy mane, it's an edible mushroom. Thank you for such a glimpse into varieties of mushrooms that don't exist in my corner of the world! Could it be from that process? The adnexed to free gills of Coprinus comatus are crowded and In some inky cap mushrooms deliquescence or liquefaction of the cap is complete, while in others it's only partial. Maybe it's the weather or lack of moisture. Phylum: Basidiomycota - Class: Agaricomycetes - Order: Agaricales - Family: Agaricaceae, Distribution - Taxonomic History - Etymology - Identification - Culinary Notes - Reference Sources. In "Little Red-Cap" (the Grimms' title for "Little Red Riding Hood") the wolf, a Hannibal Lecter look-alike, engulfs the hero- ine and her grandmother in yards of black fur. Thanks so much for the comment and vote. The caps are opening up as digestion proceeds from the edge of the cap. That sounds like a great activity! (liquefying) from the outside edge. Hi, Jodah. diameter and up to 30cm tall; white, quite brittle, and hollow. Elizabeth Parker from Las Vegas, NV on June 02, 2014: Very educational hub! I will be too scared to harvest them in Nature, unless I am 100 percent sure. Some mushrooms should be left unpicked so that they can release their spores into the environment and reproduce. How nice that the shaggy mane is edible and easy to identify. and I didn't realise that the chemicals could keep alcohol affects going, makes sense why people take it with alcohol now, not that they should take them at all without proper guidance, and using them for dye too, fascinating! The cap is radially lined almost to the centre. Maybe I'll study this hub and then give it a go ;-). Mushrooms are a lovely part of nature. Instantly recognisable with its bright red cap and white spots you would have to be an idiot to eat one of these! In general, though, the caps are off-white and can have tints of olive green, pale green, or yellow. Identifying magic mushrooms is a skill. Many fungi have white hyphae that continue to grow in the soil once mushrooms have been picked. Regardless, I'm fascinated!! Janes Lindsey at Ecology of Commanster, via Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 2.5 License. Then I realized that there was this white marshmallow like substance that they left behind. Vol 2. Close. The mushroom doesn't open to form the typical umbrella shape of grocery store mushrooms until it begins autodigestion, turning black as it does so. Also as in the shaggy mane, the cap doesn't open up into an umbrella shape until autodigestion begins. A while back a family picked mushrooms after a recent rain and cooked these mushrooms sadly the family died from poisoned mushrooms. Surface smooth, chesnut brown to brown or olive brown and slightly viscid when moist. I would love to forage, but I'm so ignorant on this! Voted up, useful and interesting! Researchers have discovered that Coprinus comatus is nematophagous. My parents used to collect and eat wile Morel mushrooms, but the fear of being poisoned keeps me from following in their footsteps. Shaggy manes are a lot safer. Typically 5 to 10cm but occasionally 15cm tall and up to 6cm in Their mass rotted off them flake by flake. Unfortunately fly agaric is even more poisonous to these animals and invariably lethal.The main toxic agents in A… Some wild mushrooms do sound tasty, though! Hans, via pixabay.com, public domain CC0 license. A few species contain a chemical called coprine, which greatly increases the unpleasant effects of alcohol ingestion. I love mushrooms too. Coprine is considered to be a mycotoxin—a toxin that comes from a fungus. The mushrooms grow larger than many inky caps, cap size reaches sizes of 2 to 6cm wide. In addition, you should read more than one mushroom identification book and look at lots of photos and videos in order to pick up further identification clues. - hence its common name Magpie Inkcap. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on June 20, 2014: Hi, VioletteRose. Future issues of Field Mycology will include a key to the basic Sections and Subsections of Coprinus in Britain. The reason I ask is two years ago I was plagued by some strange mushrooms. Upvoted and shared! Mother Nature does not skimp on types, colors, sizes, and shapes of mushrooms! It's white or cream in colour but generally has a brown tip. The branching hyphae form a mass known as a mycelium that is usually hidden in the substrate of the mushroom. Unlike shaggy manes that, may under rare circumstances if at all give someone a reaction when consumed with alcohol, Coprinopsis atramentaria definitely will. Bill De Giulio from Massachusetts on June 09, 2014: Hi Linda. The link to the publication is given in the "References" section below. ... Found my first fairy ring! The cap is light grey or buff in color and has a ragged or pleated edge. Thanks, Liz. This is also known as deliquesning. There are nearly 200 types of psilocybin or magic mushrooms that grow in grasses and moist meadows. Thanks for sharing valuable information about the shaggy manes and inky caps, it is really important to be careful if you are looking for edible mushrooms in the wild. I wouldn't feel confident in always distinguishing safe from poisonous mushrooms either, except in some cases. I appreciate your visit and comment. Great advice to buy wild mushrooms from a store. The colour is more brownish in the centre of the cap, which later flattens before melting. The most important thing is to make absolutely sure that the fruitbodies you use are young and fresh, because as they age these fungi deliquesce and become an inedible sticky mess. Shaggy Inkcaps are an ideal 'breakfast mushroom', gathered when young and fresh and then cooked and eaten right away. Royal Botanic Garden: Edinburgh. I've never seen them in a grocery store. I love mushrooms, but can honestly say I knew nothing about them, other than which ones to buy at the grocery store. The name "inky cap" sounds like a tag line from a Monty Python sketch. The combination of common inky caps and alcohol produces unpleasant symptoms but doesn't seem to be dangerous. Answer: I doubt it very much. lol! Orton, P.D. I really like mushrooms and prefer to buy. Disulfiram is a chemical given to alcoholics to deliberately increase the unpleasant symptoms of alcohol consumption. It’s often known as the common inky cap, but sometimes the word “common” is dropped and the mushroom is referred to as just an inky cap. They will start turning into ink just a few hours after being picked. stand out in distinct patches against a dark brown background to give it a 'magpie-like' appearance Look-alikes: The black spores and the tendency to dissolve into ink are distinctive. Capital Ink | Fall 2016 HRSA Releases New FQHC Look-Alike Designation Application Instructions On September 13, 2016, the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) released new instructions for applying for a Health Center Program Look-Alike initial designation. Thanks for the comment. I appreciate your visit and comment. Thank you very much for the visit and the comment. It also occurs in North America. Instead, they secrete digestive enzymes into their food source and then absorb the products of the digestion. I appreciate your visit. Thank you very much for the kind comment, Cynthia. This is a very poisonous mushroom that is … It is vast, yet identification must be done before any consumption. It makes me wonder how somehow came up with Antabuse connection. They turn to ink very soon after being picked, even when refrigerated, so they wouldn't last long in a store. Inky cap - Coprinus atramentarius . Sep 1, 2020 - Explore Ace5 studios's board "mushroom", followed by 3947 people on Pinterest. In addition to being eaten, shaggy manes are used to make a dye. save. The common inky cap contains coprine, however. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on September 03, 2014: It sounds like you have a lovely memory from your childhood, precy anza. I had never heard of shaggy manes, but I think ink caps are present where I live, I didn't know their name either. C. atramentarius is the classical inky cap, and was used historically as an actual source of ink! Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on June 01, 2014: Hi, MJ. Hi, Flourish. You really gave us a through overview of some of the mushroon varieities. The Shaggy Inkcaps seen above show clearly the various stages of development and decay of the fruitbodies. Posted by 19 days ago. I have been eating them for years - gently pan fried in butter with a squeeze of lemon or lime, served on toast - and have had them for lunch about eight times in the last fortnight. Observing and photographing them is an enjoyable part of my autumn walks. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on October 29, 2014: Hi, MelRootsNWrites. As it ages, the mushroom takes on a much different appearance. surface. Voted up. The 33-year-old bride walked down the aisle in a custom Giles Deacon design that proves less is more with a fairy-tale silhouette, cap sleeves, and a high neckline. Every day for 3 months I pulled them out of the back lawn. Thanks for the visit and the comment. Enzymes called chitinases break down the chitin providing strength to the cell walls in the gills and cap, which destroys the cells in these areas. The gills are located on the undersurface of the cap and bear the reproductive spores. 6. At full maturity, the cap is more or less flat, with a chocolate-brown umbo in the centre that is leathery to touch. I think that photographing mushrooms is enjoyable, too. Inky caps are a fascinating part of nature. I eat quite a lot of mushrooms and enjoy them, but they are all cultivated kinds. The full text of the poem appears in an 1899 publication shown on the Internet Archive website. I learned something new, so that's great! Thanks for sharing the story. Commonly referred to as either the Shaggy Inkcap or the 10 comments. These partially opened shaggy mane mushrooms have an interesting surface texture. It's also important to note that the symptoms listed above can have other causes besides mushroom poisoning. precy anza from USA on September 03, 2014: Learned something new with this, didn't know they are made into dyes. Chlorophyllum molybdites - Also known as the green-spored parasol. A mistake in identification can be deadly. In Britain and Ireland the Fairy Ring Champignon is widespread and common, as it is throughout mainland Europe and most of North America. Consuming alcohol before or after eating common inky caps produces very unpleasant effects. Yes, it is interesting to think about how the connection between the mushroom and alcohol consumption was first discovered! Rain flattens the scales, as has happened in the case of the I love mushrooms but I would never dare to eat wild ones for I am clueless as to which ones are safe. Coprinopsis atramentaria doesn’t develop ruffles, but it does turn into ink. I'm reluctant to collect and eat them, though, like you. Very old mushroom caps can become almost brown. In America the terms Inky Cap or Inky-cap are most commonly used, while in many older field guides published in Britain you are likely to see Ink Cap or Ink-cap rather than Inkcap. Common names change with time and location. It is also a common occurrence to see trouping groups or long lines of these distinctive and stately mushrooms growing in woodland glades. Collecting wild mushrooms to eat can be dangerous, since many are poisonous. Coprinus comatus is known as the shaggy mane because its cap develops a ruffled appearance and as the inky cap because it dissolves into black goo as it ages. • True Form Plastic Flex-Wall Landscape Edging End Cap, Greystone Posted by Jeremy Hawks on May 30th 2020 I had recently purchased the regular 4 foot sections of the True Form Plastic Flex-Wall and was going to have to cut off the notch from the final piece as my border was not going to join back against itself, but end at an existing wall. Yes, many mushrooms do look beautiful and unique! The unexpected result was Shaggy Inkcaps in their hundreds. If you are interested in these inkcaps from a culinary point of view, then it would have been much better if you had found them a day or two earlier. There has been at least one report of an esophageal rupture due to excessive vomiting after consuming common inky caps and alcohol. The mushroom is versatile and appears in bare soil, grass, areas with gravel, and disturbed areas beside roads. Autodigestion begins at the edge of the cap and proceeds inwards. The coprine needed to be ingested in large amounts to cause these effects, however. Thanks for the comment. Coprine produces similar effects to disulfiram (trade name Antabuse), a medication given to alcoholics to increase their sensitivity to alcohol and encourage abstinence. 232. Thanks for the comment! May 2, 2020 - Explore Lee Hansen's board "fairy garden ideas" on Pinterest. The symptoms can be frightening but will subside without further consumption of alcohol. The field had been previously used as a piggery before being treated with locally sourced compost, probably made mainly from horse manure; the land was then levelled, seeded with grass in spring 2012 and mowed regularly through the summer of 2013 until the autumn rains came. Inky caps are a group of mushrooms that have an unusual method of distributing their spores. When there is enough moisture in the environment, a new mushroom may grow with such force that it can break through old asphalt and concrete. A dream come true! If the mushrooms are heated in water in an iron pot, an olive green dye is produced. Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on June 03, 2014: I don't know about in your area, but here we have a great many people who pick mushrooms, for personal use and sale. The picture on the left was contributed by Chris Monks. Very interesting! Mushrooms grow wild after prolonged rain on our property. Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on June 03, 2014: This hub is very interesting and useful. The cap is light grey or buff in color and has a ragged or pleated edge. Shaggy mane mushrooms before they have begun autodigestion. The immature cap is compact and egg-shaped, with the cap margin around the stipe, sealing a chamber inside the cap. I love mushrooms, too, but I only eat cultivated ones. Aha, that's got round it! Where rags of loose flesh yet tremble on high. Bigredwine1, via Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 4.0 License. As autodigestion takes place, the cap and gills change into a black, gooey liquid. Coprinus commatus, the shaggy mane, is a popular edible species, but it possesses a white, cylindrical, scaly cap and is not likely to be mistaken for C. atramentarius. Look for a green or yellow tint to the mushroom’s white cap. Shaggy manes generally produce ink as they deteriorate, so it will be interesting to see what happens to the mushrooms outside your apartment. The strategy is designed to encourage the reluctance to drink alcohol. Mushroom experts say that the shaggy mane has a distinctive appearance and is easily identified, however. Despite its strange behaviour, the shaggy mane is edible and is said to be pleasantly flavoured. (Vast numbers of gilled fungi were dumped into the Agaricus genus in the early days of fungal taxonomy; most have since been moved to other genera leaving in the present-day Agaricus genus a much smaller number of gilled mushrooms that are sometimes referred to as the 'true mushrooms'.) Collectors need to be cautious when gathering any type of fungus, especially when they don't have access to the specialized equipment and techniques used by scientists for identification. Question: Can I buy shaggy mane and inky cap mushrooms at a grocery store? The book contains an introduction and illustrations created by Laurence Housman (1865–1959). In a solution containing ammonia, a grey green dye is produced. Since common names are so variable it’s best to refer to a mushroom by its scientific name in order to avoid confusion, though. Thank you! I eat mushrooms but not really a fan of it. The young shaggy mane mushroom is elongated and roughly cylindrical in shape. Some species are collected for food, although people are careful to eat the mushrooms before they turn to goo. Nikolic Predrag from Serbia, Belgrade on June 03, 2014: Very interesting and useful hub! The generic name Coprinus means 'living on dung' - that's true of many of the inkcaps but not particularly apt for this species. And there's a lot to it. Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on June 03, 2014: My mother picked morels when I was young and just before moving to Texas we found out that the puffballs that were plentiful in a nearby woods were edible. Thank you very much for the information that you shared about these mushrooms. Like you, I do photograph them however. A. Stalpers; CABI, 2008. Sure wished I paid attention to what he was doing. I would want to be 100% sure before I collected any wild mushroom for food, too! There may always be some risk in collecting wild mushrooms to eat. I have always been reluctant to collect wild mushroons, but I sure buy them from the store. For this reason most other inkcaps now belong to the genera Coprinopsis, Coprinellus and Parasola, and they are all members of the family Psathyrellaceae. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on June 03, 2014: Hi, ologsinquito. Thanks for the vote. Great article. But now I would try the shaggy mane if the opportunity presented itself. The gills are tightly packed, so their digestion helps to free the spores. It also occurs in North America. In this picture the gills have begun to deliquesce from the rim inwards, and in a few hours the mushroom will have been reduced to Another wonderful hub and thanks for the great information on mushrooms. Very interesting. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on March 08, 2020: Thanks for the mushroom info. I appreciate the share, too, especially since it was so difficult! Coprine produces its effects on alcohol metabolism if the alcohol is consumed after common inky caps are eaten. It would be a good idea to check with an experienced mushroom forager before picking and eating shaggy manes for the first time, though. It's not as distinctive or as easily identified as the shaggy mane, until it turns to ink. I have searched and they look the same. It commonly appears in the fall. a tingling sensation in the arms and legs. Very interesting hub! I don't think I've encountered this type of mushroom before. Hi, Nell! The common inky cap mushroom is bell shaped and has a striated surface on its cap. Cap: .5-2.5 cm broad and high, narrowly conical to bell shaped with a pointed umbo. You made a lot of interesting points there that I was unaware of. A ring of tissue called an annulus surrounds the stem of the mushroom. The fly agaric is the iconic toadstool of children’s fairy tales. I would not be confident to identify the edible from the poisonous. Alcohol should be avoided when eating this species. Another way to tell a poisonous mushroom from a safe one is to look under the cap. It occurs in meadows, woods and roadside verges. Also reminds me a lot of childhood as I trailed behind my parents, as they pick mushrooms, straw mushrooms in the morning. bell, the shaggy caps of Coprinus comatus are at first pure white with a pale brown area at the top It's fun to write about nature and biology! Initially egg-shaped and opening into a long These are also shaggy manes, despite the fact that they look so different from the mushroom when it first emerges from the ground. distinctive. Some are hard to identify and are easily confused with poisonous mushrooms. The specific epithet comatus means hairy - a reference to the shaggy scales that stand out from the cap surface in all but the wettest of weather. little more than a stem with a small inky disc perched on the top. At certain times of the year, the woods are filled with pickers. VioletteRose from Atlanta on June 20, 2014: I am not a big fan of mushrooms. It can be used to make soups or sauces to be served with meat dishes, or simply cut into strips and fried. eventually leaving just the stipe with a very small black disc perched Coprinaceae: Coprinus. Thank you!! If I had time, I'd like to participate in a course run by a mushroom identification expert, too! I would love to be able to recognize and pick wild mushrooms. I love to see them, even though I don't collect them.