I thought I’d try it in the panna cotta I was making... All I can say is 'wow'! If you prefer, substitute the Gorgonzola with any hard blue cheese of your choice. From Trieste to Puglia you’ll find the so-called brodetti (broths), although they vary from region to region. She always says that it reminds her of my late father – apparently this was the dish they both ordered on their first date. You can find fregola of differing sizes in Italian delicatessens and online – it is perfect with fish or shellfish. You can search by category, type of dish, main ingredient and by the name of the recipe; your choices include antipasti, starters, soups, mains, sides and desserts – and whatever you choose to make, you’ll find the recipe will be easy to follow and will guarantee you success on a plate. If making this for children, just leave out the booze and cook the cherries... Like most great concoctions, this dessert was created by chance when my wife bought a bottle of Baileys liqueur for one of our dinner guests. These guys start work so early that they can often be seen enjoying their lunch with a glass of prosecco by 9am! If you cannot find fresh truffles you can always use truffles preserved in jars or even truffle-flavoured olive oil. Use sirloin steak if you prefer and if you don’t like mushrooms substitute it with shallot onions. In this recipe I’ve used bucatini pasta, which is basically a thicker version of spaghetti with a hole all the way through, but of course pasta of any shape will be fine. This zingy first-course salad takes only minutes to prepare yet is full of flavour and goodness. Many people steer clear of aubergine and yet it really is an easy vegetable to prepare. This has to be the ultimate vegetarian pasta recipe. Gino D'Acampo 800 Watt Food Processor makes it easy for you to clean it up. They make a great side dish or snack, but if you include cheese, as I have done here, they make a more substantial first course. When buying gnocchi, look for a good-quality brand that contains at least 70 per cent potato. It’s so easy and yet you really feel that you have been spoiled when someone makes it for you. If using small, young courgettes you can use the whole vegetable, but for larger courgettes I suggest you use the flesh only, as the seeds can be spongy when eaten raw. I absolutely love squid and to me there is no better way to cook it than with a nice spicy chorizo sausage. You can substitute the prawns for scallops. ), you’ll find everything you need right here. If you want to make it ahead, prepare up to the end of step 4 then reheat the dish in a preheated oven (200°C/gas mark 6) for 20–25 minutes.... Carbonara is the Italian word for 'charcoal burner', so some people believe this dish was first made for charcoal workers in the Apennine mountains. This has to be one of my favourite recipes ever, especially with this shape of pasta. I created this in order to still have a substantial side dish, but with more exciting colours and flavours. Of course you can eat this dish hot, but if you are making it for the following day make sure you eat it at room temperature and mix well before serving. … Cannelloni was invented in Sorrento in the early 1900s by a chef from Naples. It's the most social form of eating and it means I'm not stuck in the kitchen! This is a fantastic recipe for when you need a ‘quick-fix’ supper – most of the ingredients are dried or tinned, so it’s likely you’ll have them in your storecupboard, and very little chopping or other preparation is required. I find that they work perfectly with pasta and rocket. There is nothing quite like a freshly cooked Margherita pizza. It’s a fantastic dish to prepare when you have parties, because you can fry them in the afternoon and then reheat them in the oven ready for your guests. Couscous is so easy to prepare, but it does need the addition of some really good flavours to make it come to life. The peppery little leaves of the watercress are bursting with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, making it one of our greatest natural superfoods, while the fennel and oranges are really rich in vitamin C. Try it with my Asparagus, Ricotta, Chilli and Parmesan Tartlets. I know that most people add cheese to pasta sauces but please don’t to this one. When you think of Italian cheese, two come to mind immediately – mozzarella and Parmesan. You can store it in an airtight container for up to a week, but don’t put it in the fridge as it will become soft and very sticky. This is what I came up with. I love recipes that require just a few good-quality ingredients and are simple to make yet really have the ‘wow factor’, such as this pasta dish with mussels. I remember when I used to live with him it was a must-have dish at least once a week but not always with the same shape of pasta. ! From easy Italian soup recipes to swift yet filling meals – such as poached eggs with crispy pancetta, sticky spicy lamb sausages or beef carpaccio with rocket – these Italian lunch recipes are quick to make and delicious … These little halfmoon-shaped pasta treats are perfect eaten at the end of a meal or with coffee or a chilled glass of sweet white wine. When filming there I made this dish using a selection of delicious cheeses. In my house we have saltimbocca at least once a week because it’s easy to prepare and most importantly full of flavour. It is so simple and quick to prepare and is very flexible in terms of being great as a dinner for one, or a starter or a main at a dinner party. I must admit that every time I make this for a vegetarian they utterly love me – so it must be good. Some would say it is a tasteless meat, but they haven’t tried this dish yet! If you prefer, you can substitute linguine with spaghetti or tagliatelle. This recipe (like most of my recipes) happened by accident. Pilchards are the same species but just older and larger; they can be used for this recipe too, although I prefer the flavour of young sardines. Without doubt this has to be one of my father’s favourite pasta dishes. Serve with your favourite salad leaves. Picture after a hard day’s work eating this dish with a large glass of red wine – it’s the perfect ending to any day. When they are stuffed and baked, conchiglioni (giant pasta shells) look so impressive and they taste every bit as good as they look. There are literally dozens of recipes for this classic Sicilian couscous dish, most of which have the addition of seafood and chilli – but here I’ve let the sweet white fish do the talking. However, artichoke hearts are essential on this pizza as they work beautifully with the ham, mushrooms and olives. A popular dish, it is usually cooked in large rectangular tins and sold by the weight. I got inspiration for this recipe while I was in Siena; I was served a bowl of leeks, cheese, nuts and sausages (which is also a great sauce for pasta) and I wanted to try and incorporate the same flavours in a risotto. Pizzas in Sicily vary according to the region, with each area having its own recipes and traditions, and this type (known in Sicily as sfinciuni) originated in western Sicily, in the province of Palermo. This is a pasta dish that would be perfect for a party because the flavours and the colours are just amazing. It is hardly surprising that Gino D’Acampo chose to embark on a career … Thank you to chef Stefano from Ristorante Pellegrino for sharing his secret recipe with me – and now with you too. I love dishes that can be placed in the centre of the table so that everybody can help themselves. True Italians never serve spaghetti with meatballs; it has to be fettuccine or pappardelle pasta to be authentic. Some of my friends have tried this dish and they say that it’s definitely one of the easiest and tastiest tart recipes that they have ever made. It is widely believed that sardines were named after Sardinia, where they were among the first fish to be packed in oil. Burgers are a great Friday night supper, perfect for the whole family. This is a great way to cook chicken – the sweetness of the marmalade combines with the smokiness and spice of the paprika to give a delicious glaze. This classic tomato and mozzarella pizza originally was created for the Queen of Naples, Margherita. They’re quick and easy to prepare, and you can be inventive with flavours. If you are a beetroot virgin – here you go, this is the one to try. Make sure that you serve this dish as soon as you combine the pasta and the sauce. Half the pleasure of food is being able to enjoy it with your friends and family. Venice’s Rialto Fish Market is a vibrant, bustling place full of amazing fresh produce. Today they are still relatively abundant in the island’s coastal waters and form a major part of the islanders’ diet. Simply browse through Gino’s recipes and get cooking the real Italian way! You don’t have to use the bottarga - the dish stands alone without it - but a Sardinian cook would almost certainly grate it over the top of the finished dish. Here I’ve combined them with spinach, cherry tomatoes, cannellini beans and cheese for a hearty dish. Some of my friends have tried this dish and they say that it’s definitely one of the easiest and tastiest tart recipes that they have ever made. This is quite an old-fashioned recipe from my home patch, and I must admit, I wasn’t a huge fan of it when growing up (probably because of all the fruit and lack of chocolate), but now I really appreciate all the flavours and how well they work together. Time to start cooking! Making that first cut into the pizza and enjoying all the flavours oozing out is worth any amount of time you spent preparing it. Friday – Saturday 12noon – 9pm. 'Gino D'Acampo with his ever-increasing international reach plans to open restaurants on a worldwide basis.' That is just not the case - you will be surprised at just how easy it is! Their flavour intensifies with cooking, and in this dish the amaretti biscuits and walnuts give a crumbly, crunchy texture, the raisins add sweetness and the buttery juices flavoured with amaretto, wine and cinnamon are simply irresistible. Fettuccine or bucatini can be substituted for the more usual spaghetti. My grandfather used to make this dish for me when I was a boy but he used a tomato passata instead of the cream that I have introduced. His first book, Fantastico! You can use pecorino cheese rather than Parmesan if you like a saltier flavour. Born in Torre del Greco, Naples, in southern Italy, Gino inherited his grandfather's love of cooking and studied at the Luigi de Medici Catering College. You can substitute the orange zest for lemon or lime zest, and amaretto and Cointreau work well instead of vodka if you prefer. It is so easy, you really won’t believe it. Gino D'Acampo on why he adds odd ingredient to spag bol - and other mistakes we're making Gina D'Acampo revealed all of his spaghetti bolognese tips and tricks on ITV's This Morning mirror The accounts reveal the group made sales of … Orange and fennel are a popular combination in Sicilian cuisine, especially in the city of Palermo, and with the addition of this seductively rich-tasting fish this salad becomes the star of any antipasti table. For this recipe I have taken the theme of a traditional Sardinian beef salad and have added artichokes and walnuts - which really complement the juicy sides of warm... Every now and then fish and chips in the UK is a must, but I must admit I often prefer my fish in breadcrumbs rather than batter – they make a far lighter coating that really means you taste the fish – and with this recipe I’ve come up with a much healthier but still delicious version. You can be as creative as you like in flavouring the cream. I like to serve this with a simple crisp green salad and some boiled new potatoes or – even better – my Mushroom Rice. A crisp salad is all you need to... Grape cake is a rustic Italian bake, which is traditionally made during the grape harvest when the fruits are in abundance. Main CoursesGet Inspired. The cake is also fantastico made with raspberries! I actually agree with him, it's one of my favourites too, because I just love the combination of the onion, pancetta and chilli. We teamed up with Gino D'Acampo to bring authentic Italian cooking to your home. You can substitute the Prosecco for a good Champagne and if you don’t want to use blackberries, you can use fresh strawberries. If you buy saffron strands instead of the powder, please make sure that you grind it before using it. Some would say it is a tasteless meat, but they haven’t tried this dish yet! Born in Torre del Greco in Naples, Gino grew up on a farm. My daughter Mia loves them so much that now she prefers meatballs to chocolate, yes that's my girl!! If you try to translate ‘tonno scue’ scue’ into English, it would be ‘tuna made with no effort’. In fact, I’ve started to make this dish at home at least once a week as I love the flavours so much. Its an easy to use contemporary design. I lived on freshly landed seafood when I was a young boy and miss it hugely. Many people might be nervous about cooking rabbit, but actually, if you get your butcher to cut the meat into pieces, it’s just like handling any other meat. I’ve also tried the same recipe with peanut and caramel cookies and it was delicious. This is my Italian version of bread and butter pudding, served with char-grilled fruits and sweetened ricotta cheese. Kids love cucciolone, and in my experience they really enjoy getting involved in making them too. Try to get hold of bottarga if you can – it really will enhance the dish – and please don’t be tempted to sprinkle cheese on top, as it will fight with the flavours of the seafood. The area around Mount Etna yields peaches that taste as though they must have come from the Garden of Eden. With everything from real Neapolitan pizzas and flatbreads to classic Italian pastas and moreish desserts, you’ll find all your favourite Italian dishes for fantastic value, exclusively at Iceland. This recipe is often served on the coast in northern Sardinia and it’s one of my favourites. Gino makes the art of cooking uncomplicated and achievable, allowing you to create mouth-watering Italian cuisine which always packs a huge flavour punch. Some of the best chocolate in Italy comes from the northern city of Turin, the capital of Piedmont, where chocolate-making has been established since the late 18th century. I usually cook the skewers on a barbecue, but you can char-grill them too. I love the flavour so much that I have copied the ingredients and added them to this chicken recipe to give me that Italian kick I sometimes crave. There’s so much goodness in this dish and it’s also really filling and extremely tasty. There are literally dozens of recipes for this classic Sicilian couscous dish, most of which have the addition of seafood and chilli – but here I’ve let the sweet white fish do the talking. Gino D'Acampo: 'This is why Italians don't get fat' They're famously devoted to their food, yet their obesity rate is a fraction of Britain's. I never want to hear from anyone that it's hard to cook for a vegetarian. Browse the BBC's archive of recipes by Gino D'Acampo. I adore scallops and must admit that I don’t like to interfere by adding too many ingredients that will alter their natural flavour, but I really think this recipe is special. Sunday 12noon – 8pm. Making that first cut into the pizza and enjoying all the flavours oozing out is worth any amount of time you spent preparing it. If you need to make dinner in under four minutes, this is the recipe for you. It's cheaper now, but still fantastic. Oranges go perfectly with smoked mackerel, particularly the red oranges that are so abundant in Sicily. Never use red wine for this recipe. Bucatini is like a thick spaghetti with a hole in the middle that runs from one end to the other. It's a great tradition that my wife will pass on to our own children. For many people, salmon is the king of fish – it has a firm, meaty texture and a beautiful pink colour. Email. Please make sure that you never use tuna in brine for this recipe and if you like you can add some capers to the sauce. It is important not to use buffalo mozzarella for this recipe as it is very milky and releases... For anyone who loves turkey but is bored with the traditional ways of cooking it, you have just found the recipe that you need. A popular dish, it is usually cooked in large rectangular tins and sold by the weight. This focaccia can be eaten warm or at room temperature and a slice will always be welcome in a lunchbox or on a picnic. It is cooked very briefly, then plunged into cold water to retain its texture and bright green colour. Lunch in Italy is an occasion! A crisp salad is all you need to... Leeks make a fantastic alternative to onions, and yet many people only use them in soups. You can find fregola of differing sizes in Italian delicatessens and online – it is perfect with fish or shellfish. Baking shop-bought gnocchi can really jazz them up. Bollito di carne is a classic northern Italian dish, typically from Piedmont. In this recipe I’ve used bucatini pasta, which is basically a thicker version of spaghetti with a hole all the way through, but of course pasta of any shape will be fine. A speciality of northern Italy, these delicious biscuits are often served as an Easter treat. Serve with a crisp salad on the side. I love this bread; it’s almost a meal in itself and could almost pass for a pizza with all the flavours I have put inside. So what better way to do it justice than to make it into a beautiful sorbet to enjoy on a hot summer’s day? All that's needed is a bottle of chilled Italian wine, some warm, crusty bread on the side and good friends to share them with. One of the great things about these little stuffed courgette rolls is that they don't require any cooking and can be prepared ahead. This recipe sums up what this book is all about – minimum effort, maximum satisfaction! I lived on freshly landed seafood when I was a young boy and miss it hugely. You can substitute fettuccine instead of tagliatelle if... Tray-baked Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives, Wrapped Salmon With Dijon Mustard & Mascarpone Sauce, Couscous Salad With Olives, Asparagus & Grana Padano, Chicken Breasts in Creamy Sage & Lime Sauce, Fregola Salad With Olives, Orange Zest & Fresh Herbs, Chicken Breasts in Marsala & Tomato Sauce with Raisins, Chargrilled Sardines With Caper & Parsley Vinaigrette, Trapani-Style Couscous with Fish, Tomatoes & Almonds, Sardinian Pasta Shells with Clams, Walnuts, Chilli & Bottarga, Rolled Aubergines Stuffed wth Raisins, Capers & Walnuts, Deep Pan Pizza With Anchovy, Olive & Caper Topping, Pan-Fried Sea Bass With Cannellini Mash & Basil Sauce, Warm Beef Salad With Artichokes, Chilli & Walnuts, Spaghettini with Mussels, Cherry Tomatoes & White Wine, Italian Style Cheeseburgers with Coleslaw Cups, Chicken Breasts with Cherry Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil, Pasta Shells and Beans with Squid and Chorizo, Tagliatelle with Sausages, Rosemary and Porcini Mushrooms, Rolled Aubergines With Raisins, Capers & Walnuts, Courgette Carpaccio With Borlotti Beans, Peppers & Capers, Venetian-Style Pasta Shells Stuffed With Courgettes & Sage, Fennel, Orange & Watercress Salad with Thyme Vinaigrette, Courgette Roll-Ups with Ricotta, Walnuts & Chargrilled Peppers, Baked Gnocchi with Cannellini Beans, Spinach and Tomatoes, Spaghetti with Artichokes, Radicchio, Peas and White Wine, Asparagus, Ricotta, Chilli and Parmesan Tartlets, Grilled Avocado Stuffed With Tomatoes, Spring Onions, Olives & Capers, Linguine With Cherry Tomatoes, Pancetta And White Wine, Shell Pasta With Spicy Pork And Tomato Sauce, Four Seasons Pizza Topped with Ham, Artichokes, Mushrooms and Olives, Pizza Stuffed with Mascarpone, Salami Milano, Bresaola and Parma Ham, Seared Tuna Steak with Courgettes and Capers, Turkey Saltimbocca with Sage and Parma Ham, Shell Pasta with Peppers, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts, Chicken and Chorizo Salad With Beans and Rocket Leaves, Skewered Marinated Lamb with Rosemary & Mint, Quick Mussel Stew with Saffron & White Wine, Mixed Seafood Linguine with Chilli & Cherry Tomatoes, Pasta with Aubergines, Tomatoes and Garlic Sauce, Chunky Winter Vegetable and Cannellini Bean Soup, Grilled tuna steak with garlic breadcrumbs, Rabbit in white wine, rosemary, olive and tomato sauce, Braised scallops with peas and sun-dried tomatoes, Pasta salad with walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese, Rigatoni with peas and porcini mushrooms in a creamy asparagus sauce, Orecchiette with Broccoli, Garlic and Chilli, Rigatoni in Spicy Tomato and Salmon Sauce, Italian Beans with Rosemary on Garlic Toasts, Spicy Tagliatelle With Peppers, Courgettes, Red Onions And Thyme.