By. Instead, Cinnamon embraced a design language more akin to … you still have to wait the full 30 minutes (or whatever you set it to) before your display turns off. This one is a real matter of preference. It has polished looks with a customizable features. Note that the comparison is mainly between Ubuntu GNOME vs Linux Mint’s Cinnamon desktop. KDE vs Xfce vs LXDE vs Gnome vs MATE vs Cinnamon, etc... Video doesn't show all of the different types of desktop environments. Cinnamon was born as a way to keep the traditional interface while using GTK 3. Switching workspaces is noticeably laggy almost every time, as is unminimizing a window I haven't used in a while. 4. I will make the appropriate change today. My 2nd favorite desktop environment, after Gnome. individually for each user. GNOME desktop and KDE Plasma are definitely the top 2 desktop environments used in Linux. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. 4. July 6, 2020 29 views. It looks you dismiss Gnome shell extensions as third parties but they are something that Cinnamon does not have. In the question "What are the best desktop environments for people migrating from Windows to Linux?" You can use cinnamon with nautilus (aka files) instead of nemo if memo didn't have the drop box. I like this because I don't have to think about manually creating or removing them. Composed entirely of free and open-source software, GNOME focused from its inception on freedom, accessibility, internationalization and localization, developer friendliness, organization, and support. However, where Cinnamon is based on the modern GNOME 3 desktop environment, MATE is based on GNOME 2. It's fine after you get it all set up, but it's much less user-friendly, and it took me a while to figure out. GNOME desktop and elementary OS's Pantheon desktop are beautiful Linux desktop environments. Joshua Peisach is the lead developer for the project and he is being helped by other volunteer contributors. Ubuntu MATE is quite a bit like Mint Cinnamon. In GNOME, third-party extensions are required for basic, expected notifications features, such as repositioning the location of new notifications, and showing a notification counter in the panel. GNOME has a built-in "Night Light" with easy controls and scheduled times for color shifting, while Cinnamon relies on Redshift and 3rd-party applets. MATE, Cinnamon, and Pantheon are all specifically meant to do something different than GNOME 3, but Budgie is a little bit different. How can I try to win the best of both? GNOME requires a third-party extension for that. Desklets are small, usually single-purpose applications that can be added to your desktop. The launch bar on the left side of the desktop provides instant access to favorite applications. For example, Cinnamon can download and install themes through the settings manager itself, without even opening an Internet browser. ksygard 0.793 (démarrage) -> 0.877 Go (une Not a huge deal. Cinnamon has a fantastic "Effects" section in the settings where window animations can be adjusted. Well, I had no issues at all with GNOME's direction and general interface, so naturally, it was the first one I gave a real shot. I like Cinnamon more because is easier and the themes and plugins are amazing. I gravitated towards GNOME because I expected the most polish and the least hassle from one of the main players. Most importantly, Cinnamon notifications feel accurate and responsive in their UI/UX, much more so than GNOME's. I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions, especially if you have additional insight or a different opinion on something. by Bertel King July 6, 2020. Cinnamon workspaces are vertical if panel is on left or right. If you don't provide an absolute path, the path is relative to your home foller. I use Fedora Cinnamon in my laptop and was thinking in install Fedora in my desktop PC, but I can't decide between the Cinnamon and the Gnome version, I mean both have there things, Gnome have a lot of useful stuff but i don't know if i can use that things in Cinnamon… Other applications can be accessed from the GNOME Shell. Mate. Cinnamon has various functions that other desktop environments such as GNOME and Unity do not have. You can customize not just the background, but also theming, multi-monitor handling, and toggling of UI elements. Ubuntu is an easy example - it runs GNOME with multiple extensions to give you a dock and a couple other nice features. Unity vs. Cinnamon Desktop Environments Explained. I loved the way my app shortcuts looked with GNOME's Dash to Panel, but the system tray was a struggle to get right, because I had to use multiple extensions that didn't play perfectly nicely with each other. Why wouldn't they package gnome-software or at least reskin it. To go with the above, the Cinnamon/LightDM lock screen doesn't have its own display timeout, i.e. Cinnamon is for people who want a more modern classic desktop unlike gnome. These goals make it one of the most aesthetically ple… Due to the lacking resources on Cinnamon vs KDE Plasma, I decided to write this. Cinnamon has a third-party "workspaces grid" applet, but it's more of a hack that doesn't integrate well with workspace hotkeys and other features. Ubuntu with Cinnamon ;), Since you can use the original why use an off-spring. Both have an elegant,… Cinnamon did not attempt to emulate GNOME 2. Roy s. Share on Facebook. I also use the version directly from Virtual Box, and not from the Mint repos. But I guess my whole point is that it is coherent and **discoverable** , and this is really what makes it great. Community releases include Awesome, bspwm, Budgie, Cinnamon, i3, LXDE, LXQT, Mate, OpenBox and builds for … Cinnamon, a fork of GNOME 3, was initially developed to be and is the default desktop environment for Linux Mint. Most of the differences you mention seem immaterial, but thanks for the summary. Так вот, что же выбрать? Ubuntu Cinnamon (website under construction) is a new Linux distribution that brings Cinnamon desktop to Ubuntu distribution. And so much more... when the last time you have used software and it was a breeze ? MATE vs. GNOME Shell vs. Cinnamon auch. KDE is ranked 3rd while Gnome is Cinnamon is more old What I like to do is download themes over on my cinnamon DE. But the difference between Cinnamon and MATE is that Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3. The default Cinnamon desktop is much like the desktop Windows has used for the past 20 years. gnome-tweak-tool. Furthermore, the developers behind Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix has done an excellent job in translating the Ubuntu aesthetics over to the Cinnamon desktop. I had issues such as new notifications showing me the oldest notification in the list rather than the one that just appeared, and notifications seemingly randomly deciding they wanted to stay on the screen indefinitely, or disappear too quickly. GNOME is very well-designed out of the box, but also offers minimal configuration out of the box. Or forge your own tiling wm based desktop. GNOME/GDM turns off the display when locking the screen, which I personally like. Low memory usage in Cinnamon than GNOME Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Changing the look (and feel) of Gnome Shell is easy, shell theme, icon, windows and graphical elements (gtk). Linux Mint Cinnamon vs MATE vs XFCE vs KDE From their official website, we got some comparison point like this : MATE: Stable, robust, traditional XFCE: Light, simple, efficient Cinnamon : Sleek, modern, innovative 1. CinnamonはGNOME 2をエミュレートするための取り組みではありませんでした。代わりに、CinnamonはWindowsにより似た設計言語を採用しています。左下隅にアプリメニュー、右下隅にタスクバー、中央にウィンドウのリストがあります。 Keeping stability, speed, and elegance is our top priority. If you want an interface similar to Windows 10 then you have to choose the KDE version but it consuming much memory. When I first used Cinnamon, it seemed quire bare and I went down the tiling windows manager rabbit hole but as I continued using Cinnamon I realized I did not need anything fancy and Cinnamon could provide it all : fast window switching, basic tiling, rapid app selection, fast location opening, workspaces, hot corners... all that I needed. Cinnamon is considered as user friendly for the beginner level of Linux users who have just migrated from Windows to Linux based operating system. Press J to jump to the feed. Cinnamon has solid window tiling and snapping functionality, with some customization. However, if I had to choose between only those two I would go for Mint Cinnamon. GNOME has a built-in "Night Light" with easy controls and scheduled times for color shifting, while Cinnamon relies on Redshift and 3rd-party applets. Cinnamon came about as a way to keep a traditional interface while still adopting GTK 3. The notifications applet natively shows the number of unread notifications. Overall, I think notifications deserve more settings, such as the amount of time they remain on-screen, and maybe position, size, and font size. App Launcher is a total rip-off from Launchpad, one of the lamest aspects of Mac OS, but done worse. Instead, Cinnamon adopted a similar design language for Windows. Source: makeuseof.com. Although Cinnamon is a fine desktop, I think it's a bit too old-school. I don't think cinnamon has its own email client. I stand by my motorcycle simile, if Kubuntu 18 is the Ducati 916, Ubuntu 19 is the little scooter, Mint 19 Cinnamon is... a KTM Duke 125 at best. This is a demo how the 4 file managers handle the Files Grid in positioning and spacing, which is kinda the most important thing on a file manager. In that case, thanks, looks like a Win-Win situation, sorry guys, i'm not a rookie yet. Fedora 24 - Cinnamon 3.0.1 Desktop. Many of the appearance settings enable you to convincingly mimic the look and feel of Windows and macOS. However, gTile is available as both a GNOME and Cinnamon extension, and it addresses the shortcomings of both desktop environments. But the features provided are essentially all I need, and anything not configurable is luckily already the way that I like it. I think vertical workspaces feel more natural for dual-monitor setups, and for widescreen monitors in general. Cinnamon takes the more traditional approach of a GNOME … You can stick to the Windows-inspired bottom panel with the app launcher, dock icons, and system tray, or you can add a panel to the top or side to go for a macOS or Ubuntu feel. If you read through all of this, you'll note that while I preferred GNOME's handling of a few things here and there, they were mostly inconsequential and didn't greatly impact my experience. It is actually really easy to move around with a keyboard. I see a lot of value in having a unified search system that is extensible via third-party apps. … Both Gnome and Cinnamon got the same looking configuration panel. The cinnamon desktop is a default desktop environment on Linux Mint. Unity. It is supported by a large development community that generally aim for six-month release schedules.KDE focuses on configurability and an attractive graphical user interface. I've never tried Gnome-Boxes, but I have VirtualBox running on my computer (Mint 17.3 Cinnamon) with no problems at all.