Spinach and feta pies (spanakopita), feta cheese pies (tiropita), chicken pies (kotopita) are particularly well suited to this super easy phyllo recipe and are guaranteed to amaze your guests, friends and family or click here to browse all of my pastry based recipes! This is the official Denver Greek Festival spanakopita recipe. Although phyllo dough is readily available frozen in most markets, freshly made phyllo dough (also spelled "filo") is always preferable, and it isn't difficult to make. You may find it easier to roll out a little bit the dough with the rolling pin, and then lift it with your hands and hold it by the edges with your fists, shaking a little bit, while the rest hangs and stretches out, re positioning your hands around the perimeter of the dough and repeating (like a pizza dough). 3. Place one ball of dough on a floured surface coat your rolling pin with some flour. Follow my step-by-step easy homemade phyllo dough recipe and succeed on your first time! Required fields are marked *. Repeat the process until there are at least 8 sheets layered on the bottom. Here’s what you will need for the phyllo crust: 4 and ¾ cups (550 g) all-purpose flour Business Insider published a tear-jerking tribute to one of the last people in Greece who still creates phyllo dough from hand, 86-year-old Giorgos Hatziparaskos. Phyllo dough is used here as noted on the recipe ingredients. The dough is ideal for small fried and baked pies, as well as pan-sized pie crusts. Giorgos Hatziparaskos making Phyllo. They are popular for breakfast and as snacks in Greece. Tiropitas, in Greek τυρóπιτα (pronounced tee-RO-pee-taare), are triangles of layers of phyllo dough filled with a cheese and egg mixture. Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) is one of the most popular Greek dishes, that is known and loved around the world. With Phyllo I’ve found that if you have little filling just use smaller baking trays to allow for approx. Also, take note that the technique for making the dough differs depending on which method you use to roll out the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough, until it becomes a very thin round sheet; the thinner, the better. The thought of making homemade phyllo can sound very intimidating. Don’t worry, you can fix that by adding some more flour (add 1/2 tsp at first, mix and check again). There is nothing better than a homemade pie, made with homemade phyllo! Over time, as you become familiar with the texture and rolling process, you should be able to make the dough even thinner; however rolling out to the thickness of commercial phyllo dough—which is done with a machine—may never be achieved. Greek Milk Custard Pie 12Tomatoes. 2. Divide the dough into 18 to 20 equal pieces. Add another sheet of dough, coat lightly with butter. Ensure that your dough has plenty of flour to prevent it from sticking to the working surface or the rolling pin. Feel free to leave a comment in the section below and don’t forget to share this recipe on your favorite social network using the buttons above! When you are happy with the consistency of your dough, cut the dough in balls (slightly larger then a golf ball, approx. https://www.allrecipes.com/gallery/best-greek-desserts-featuring-phyllo-dough In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta. Good recipe. I love uour recipe. Filo pastry (phyllo dough) is notoriously difficult to make at home, with only the very best cooks attempting to make their own and the rest simply buying a ready made version. ), The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Nevertheless, now that summer vacation is over, I had this idea of sharing one of my absolutely favorite By being patient and following some simple steps, however, you can learn to easily handle this delicate dough. If you find that the dough is a bit dry just add a tad bit more water to the mixture. The finished phyllo dough sheets can be used for baking pies or pie crusts. The Spruce On a floured surface, knead by hand for 15 to 20 minutes until soft and malleable, with a smooth feel. Basically you need the filling to be more in proportion to the dough. See more ideas about Phyllo, Phyllo dough recipes, Recipes. Phyllo dough is great for making fun appetizers or traditional Greek dishes like spanakopita, but it can also be used in sweet ways as a dessert. Taste was good but too much dough. The tissue-thin layers make for flaky results, but can also be challenging to work with. For pastries, finish at setting 9; if you are making small fried pitas (pies), use setting number 6. However, this recipe is made with just a handful of pantry staples in 10 minutes. See more ideas about phyllo dough recipes, phyllo, recipes. Authentic, traditional, locally sourced Greek recipes and nutritional advice. A resident of Greece, Nancy Gaifyllia is a cook who writes about the country's regional specialties. bulk pork sausages, phyllo dough, parsley, feta cheese, butter and 4 more. Your email address will not be published. Portokalopita - Greek Orange Phyllo Cake Gourmandelle. Phyllo is the dough used in a variety of Greek sweet pastries and savory dishes, such as baklava and spanakopita. You can fix this in a couple of ways. You can bake up the classic baklava, use it as a crust for cheesecake, or even layer it to create a pie. Once the dough is complete, you will need to turn the dough into thin sheets—you can either use a pasta machine or roll it out with a rolling pin; the latter takes time and experience to master (see below for special instructions). https://www.themediterraneandish.com/spanakopita-recipe-greek-spinach-pie Got a question? Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight before using. By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, How to Roll Out Phyllo Dough with a Rolling Pin. Create a well in the center of the bowl and add olive oil, lemon, vinegar, and water. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. This is essential, so that the dough softens and you can roll it easily. Which European country will inspire your culinary journey tonight? To begin assembly, lay 1 sheet of phyllo in the buttered pan and with a pastry brush coat the entire sheet with the melted butter. To prepare the filling for this spanakopita recipe, sauté the onions in a large knob of butter until soft … Otherwise if you use the thin phyllo sheets, make sure you don’t overload […] Flour, hot water, raki, olive oil, and lemon are the five ingredients for this filo recipe. When making phyllo dough, used in countless Greek recipes including baklava, Hatziparaskos first combines his ingredients in a large mixer, and then portions them out into smaller pieces. Combine 1 packet of active dry yeast in step 1 of the basic recipe, together with the flour and salt. For the dough you can follow my easy homemade phyllo recipe. Galaktoboureko (Greek Custard Pie) skinny spatula. To make phyllo sheets, run the pieces of dough through the pasta machine. Orange, anise, baking powder, sunflower oil, yogurt, sugar, water and 8 more. The best part is that this dough can be made 2-3 days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. There is nothing better than a homemade pie, made with homemade phyllo dough! Find recipe ideas for both savory and sweet phyllo dough recipes to add to your cooking repertoire. Unroll, turn a half turn and repeat. The thickness of the phyllo dough depends on what you will be using it for. Your email address will not be published. 1 inch (2.5/3cm) of filling in the pie. The perfect dough should be soft, malleable and smooth. In a large bowl add the flour, tapioca starch, and salt. Combine with a fork. I mistakenly read a recipe for “fish en papillote,” or parchment-baked fish; in my mind, I was convinced it was wrapped in phyllo dough rather than paper, and once I discovered my mistake, I had to think quickly to rewrite the preparation to go with ingredients I had on hand. 599,302 suggested recipes. I put 3 on the bottom, added the filling, folded the edges on top of filling, then last 3 sheets on top brushing all sheets with olive oill. Evenly spread 1 cup of the nut mixture over the buttered phyllo sheets. Continue rolling making the dough thinner and thinner each time. Unused phyllo can be kept in the refrigerator, in air-tight wrapping, for up to 10 days after making. Start by adding 130g of water at first (1/2 a cup) and mix, until the flour absorbs the water; after mixing for a while, the dough should become an elastic ball. Now you are ready do roll! Add the olive oil and lemon juice and continue mixing, adding more water if needed to make a soft dough. Puff Pastry Parcels recipe stuffed with Caramelised Apples and Pork Sausages, Phyllo Triangle Pastries with Custard (Trigona Panoramatos), Unit Conversions and useful substitutions, In a large mixing bowl add the flour and salt, make a well in the centre and pour in the vinegar and the olive oil. Make a well in the center and add water (start with 1 cup) and raki or vinegar. milk, butter, sugar, double cream, water, milk, butter, sugar and 21 more. Using a fork, whisk the water, salt, lemon juice, and olive oil together, gradually incorporating the …