The hook stays off the bottom and the line connecting to the weight is weaker. Lingcod seem to be caught best on shiny jigs that are bounced along the bottom. Just the bass fishing being popular, so is catfish fishing. A float rig is ideal for drifting. We can buy the floats remade at our tackle store. If there's no current just stick with the bobber. Now we do this by placing a bead on each side of the swivel and locking it. It is used for a snaggy bottom. Hey everyone, there's a popular fishing spot near my house below a dam where there's faster moving water (when water is being let out) and a very rocky bottom. Using the float keeps our bait off the bottom and at the height of the fish. The big difference … Apr 4, 2013 - A great fishing rig set up for fishing rocky bottom rivers and creeks especially if they have heavier current. This is a great rig for any kind of bottom fishing, but it is particularly good in deep water or water with a lot of currents. Weak-link rig (rotten bottom) This rig is good for single hook fishing over very rough ground such as heavy kelp beds or shallow rocky reefs. Blue gill is a great bait to use on bank fishing with catfish rigs. And this allows us the chance to use two baits at the same time. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. On the lead to the float we can pick our own length. There are all kinds of sizes and shapes of floats. Catfishing on the Lake or River Bottom. Thanks for the help The high-low rig has a heavyweight on the end. You can go with a slider and attach the weight to it. 3. Youre already catching them, dont mess up a good system. And we can cast this rig much farther. This gives them enough rope to hang themselves but not too much so they can eject the rig either. A 3 way rig with a lighter test line for you sinker so if it gets snag you can break free and keep ypur hook and fish. Your email address will not be published. Hair Jigs On The Rocks. Also if you reel in to recast or check bait lift your rod up and reel in fast so you don't drag your rig across the bottom. The best method involves drilling out the bottom of the ball with a 3/16-inch bit and inserting a section of 3/16 pencil lead into the hole (just be sure all you lead pieces are the same length). This is a slight twist on the slip sinker or “carolina rig” that often produces more fish. You can adjust the hook line to any length we would like the hook from the bottom. Float Rig - This option revolves around using a slip sinker rig but by adding a float just above the weight on the slip-sinker rig. Using a circle hook is where the fish sets the hook. Then the hook and the weight is on same line. The pulley rig is neat. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. We tie our poles onto the wood. In instances where the sploosh rig just isn’t getting down, I’ll do a little aftermarket upgrading by adding some lead to them. Press J to jump to the feed. No-rolls on a straight rig with a bead or swivel for a stop on flat bottom or fishing tight to cover is a rig I have found works well, especially when fishing directly downstream from your location. In this video I give a simple and effective bottom fishing rig called the knocker rig. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a4a017906f36d22653588ae51dd3b17f" );document.getElementById("c9fe3e1cfb").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Your email address will not be published. Channel catfish can be found in the middle sections of the tidal rivers and can provide plenty of fun fishing. Required fields are marked *. We can pick up some industrial ties at a hardware store. Then we can use a piece of wood that fits across our spot on the bank. The fish finder rig. I am wondering what rig and bait I should use when I return to fish for catfish. So here we put the hook onto an impact shield just above the weight. Growing up years ago, the thought of using a bobber when fishing for channel catfish never would have entered my mind.. Often, catfish, lake trout, salmon, pike, striped bass, and other heavyweights … This. We can order online or pick some up at the tackle store We are good to go. Having the two hook lines double the chances of hooking two fish. The bottom is very rocky meaning if I use just a hook and weight, I will get snagged. The three way rig is ideal for getting the weight and bait farther apart. We welcome them all here at catfishing! Tear drop sinkers or even pyramid style weights are great for three-way rigs when fishing in snaggy or rocky bottom areas, cross currents, or off angle scenarios. We have our weight that holds the line down and then our bait and a float on top. This rig does not do well in snaggy areas. Let's say I'm fishing from the bank, what's the best way to figure out the depth so I can set the bobber correctly? Wherever you have an area of rocky bottom, you can be sure to find a few catfish … My hook link of choice is Kryston’s 45lb Quicksilver (it’s actually designed as a snag leader but makes a very tough hook link). Rig & Technique. Catfish anglers generally refer to this as a slip sinker rig and it’s rare to hear the term “Carolina rig” from a catfish angler. To rig, tie your … It is helpful to [put a knot on top of the swivel to prevent the weight from jamming. This live bait is able to swim around attracting the fish. As versatile and effective as drift and float rigs often are, many catfishing situations call … Other first-rate tailwater fishing areas are shoreline riprap, wing dikes, mid-stream boulders, rock piles and the large log jams and drift piles that form on the upstream edge of many dams. The santee-cooper rig. Your comments or question are welcomed Feel free to leave them and I will answer back. Fishing with bottom rigs baited with pieces of bloodworm is the best way to catch them. Close. This allows us to move around and fish at different spots. Because we have the sinker looped on, we can easily change to a larger or smaller sinker without cutting the line. Go weightless, use live blue gill or shad and hook them right behind the butt hole. Three-Way Rig. When bank fishing we can use a float marker to check the depth of the water before fishing if we chose too. Hi, I was fishing on a lake with minnows for crappie but caught 2 catfish. Sometimes live bait tends to work best… Here we are our height of able to pick live bait our height of our live bait as well. Our line sits at the height of the float. Losing all of my rigs due to rocky bottom of the river, need help. In my experience with 3 way rigs it helps to go even lighter for the sinker than you think will be necessary. Next, the mainline is tied to one end of a swivel. The fish finder rig works great for fishing on the bottom. The slip floater rig is very similar to the slip sinker or Carolina rig.