(With Pictures and Video), How the Environment Influences How Long a Common Snapping Turtle Lives, How the Diet Influences How Long a Turtle Lives, Guide for Lighting and Heating a Turtle Tank and Basking Area. By random factors I’m referring to things that don’t usually happen, but when they do they can drastically affect all turtles that live in an area, and those factors are usually out of the control of turtles. Those factors can determine if a turtle will only live 40 years, or if it will reach 1000. I own two box turtles that are pretty active during the day, but sometimes when night comes and I turn the lights off, they suddenly start to be full of energy. Clean water, a heat source, and a place for swimming and hiding. The females weigh around 50 pounds (23 kgs).An adult common snapping turtle measures around 8 to 12 inches and they weigh between 10 pounds (4.5Kgs) to 35 … One of the most important aspects of a tank is it’s size. Assuming they make it to adulthood, snapping turtles of both species have fairly long lives. Turtles tend to have a life history that is very different than most mammals and birds and they rely on almost zero adult mortality to maintain healthy population numbers. Common snapping turtles can clamp down with up to 656.81 … The common snapping turtle lives a maximum of 100 years in the wild, and usually between 30 to 45 years in captivity. The environment of a turtle is the area where it lives, and everything that lives in that area, not just the common snapping turtle. Now let’s move to the next major part of this guide the diet. In order to achieve that, you just need to follow the instructions I’ve mentioned earlier in this article. Their body temperature adjusts to their surroundings. Your email address will not be published. Box turtles are at least 5 years old before they breed. In shallow waters, common snapping turtles may lie beneath a muddy bottom with only their heads exposed, stretching their long necks to the surface for an occasional breat… It’s believed that alligator snapping turtles can live up to 200 years in the wild. How long do snapping turtles live? Alligator snapping turtles live approximately between 20 to 70 years in captivity. No matter how much you try, no matter how much you take care of your turtle, if you buy an unhealthy baby snapping turtle, it won’t live long. And I would also recommend you to read this article: Buyer’s Guide: Best Turtle Food, that covers some of the best, and most advantageous turtle food on the market. Here you will also find countless interesting turtle facts about turtles, tortoises, terrapins and sea turtles. Now let’s talk a little about the environment of a pet common snapping turtle. Every turtle deserves to live a long, healthy, and good life. Snapping turtles need a diverse diet, including both foods from animal and plant origin. And this can happen in multiple ways. Your email address will not be published. The common snapping turtle can actually live up to 30 years. She. But there are some things out there that can be a lot scarier. ... Life Span of Common Snapping Turtle. Another essential thing that you have to provide for your turtle to maintain a good health, and live a long life, is a basking area. Keep that in mind if you ever get interested in keeping one. TurtleOwner.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If the water is too cold, the turtle will catch a cold, and colds can be a real danger for turtles. I can continue to add a lot of things to this random factors list, but at that point the article won’t ever stop. Alligator snapping turtles live approximately between 20 to 70 years in captivity. On this site you will find articles that cover every basic thing that a turtle owner needs to know, as well as all the advanced stuff. And the most dangerous thing that they can encounter in the wild is a predator. A predator can end the life of a turtle in a few minutes, and the most vulnerable turtles are the young inexperienced ones that don’t know how to properly hide or defend themselves. It is one of the largest turtles in North America. For example some people can decide to camp in that area and throw some litter on the ground and the turtle can find it and eat it. Strikes their vitality – they are common both in hot desert areas of Texas, and in snowy areas of Washington in winter. How long do Snapping Turtles live? Best Answers. How big do alligator snapping turtles get? One of the first things that you should know about an alligator snapping turtle before getting one as a pet is how long it lives. Found almost exclusively in the rivers, canals, and lakes of the southeastern United States, alligator snappers can live to be 50 to 100 years old. So as you can see wild common snapping turtles don’t have access to a stable and balanced diet, and as a result their lifespan will be influenced a lot by this. If you decide you want to keep a baby snapping turtle, here are some things that you will need: A tank.A 10-gallon fish tank would be perfect for now; however, when your turtle grows to be 8 inches long, you'll need to consider … Snapping turtles often live more than 100 years with a maximum theoretical life span of 170 years. Not many people can handle them. Unreal, if you ask me. One of the first things that you should know about a common snapping turtle before getting one as a pet is how long it lives. Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment. Snapping turtle jaw strength—while nothing to sneeze at—is somewhat overrated. She sadly passed away in 2016, and she’ll be forever known as one of the most iconic animals at the Newport Aquarium. Male turtles normally reach sexually maturity before females. Common Snapping turtles live a very long time compared to other animals, so let’s see exactly how long they live. If you are interested to learn more check out our article on that subject: Thunder, an alligator snapping turtle, was living in the Newport Aquarium since 1999, and at the time of her death, was estimated to be 150 years old. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. It lives in watersheds that ultimately drain into the Gulf of Mexico. We can’t say for sure. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Being a vulnerable creature as a hatchling, they often get eaten by predators or hit by cars. The mouth of a snapping turtle is shaped like the hooked beak of a bird. I bet you are curious and want to know what was the oldest snapping turtle that ever lived. In the wild, they can live for 100 years or even 200 years. If you are interested to learn more about snapping turtles, keep reading. However, they often get hit by cars, while trying to cross the road. Every pet owner wants their pet to live a long and comfortable life. However, there are no known cases to confirm that fact. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'aquaticpals_com-banner-1','ezslot_1',108,'0','0'])); How long do alligator snapping turtles live in the wild is poorly unknown, however, scientists believe that they might live up to 200 years. It can be immediately distinguished from the common snapping turtle by the three distinct rows of spikes and raised plates on the carapace, whereas the common snapping turtle has a smoother carapace. Once they’ve reached a certain age, snapping turtles don’t have real predators. How long do snapping turtles live? In order to achieve that, you just need to follow the instructions I’ve mentioned earlier in this article. The alligator snapping turtle is usually larger and the male turtles are normally bigger than female turtles. Their average length is 26 inches long, in shell and weight around 175 pounds (80 kgs), they can exceed 220 pounds (100kgs). Painted turtles and snapping turtles spend their winters in lakes or ponds, living beneath the ice the forms. Red-ear slider males reach sexual maturity between age 2 and age 4 years, at about 4 inches long. As adults, alligator snapping turtles are somewhere between 15 and 32 inches. Tips to Increase Their Lifespan. Can turtles live up to 500 years? The average weight is around 175-180 pounds. All information, content, materials on this site, or obtained from a website to which the site is linked are provided to you “as is” without warranty of any kind either express or implied. If you want to know how to properly set up a basking area I would strongly suggest you read this guide: Guide for Lighting and Heating a Turtle Tank and Basking Area, in this guide you will find all the information you will ever need about basking areas, and turtle tanks. If you want to raise a healthy snapping turtle that will live a long and comfortable life, some criteria must be met. Common Snapping turtles live a very long time compared to other animals, so let's see exactly how long they live. They are most vulnerable in their juvenile period. A turtle can be caught in the tornado, and it will be directly affected. It’s no secret that turtles are known to live longer lives than many other pets. And I am confident that you can provide that. A snapping turtle in captivity can live up to 50 years. But instead their lifespan is drastically influenced but what you do, and what you provide for them. They have a muscular build with ridged shells that may measure from 50 cm long in Chelydra species to some 80 cm long in the Alligator Snapping Turtle (Macroclemys temminckii). Snapping turtles live 30-40 years on average. The snapping turtle is New York's official state reptile. The information, content and material contained on the site is intended to be of a general nature only and is not intended to constitute professional/medical advice. But the average lifespan of an alligator snapping turtle is highly unlikely to be that high. AquaticPals.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Keep that in mind if you ever get interested in keeping one. Those two factors can drastically influence the lifespan of a common snapping turtle. Some box turtles have even lived more than 100 years. Out of all the factors that influence how long a wild common snapping turtle can live, the predators are probably the biggest factor. Chelydra serpentina is the zoological name of common snapping turtle under the genus Chelydra; while alligator snapping turtle has the scientific name Macrochelys temminckii, categorized under the genus Macrochelys; both … What is the oldest turtle? Almost all snapping turtles who survive to adulthood enjoy long lives and die of old age. They spend money, energy and everything they can to ensure their pets live the lives they deserve. Common snapping turtles typically live to be 30 years old in the wild, and up to 47 years old in captivity. The common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina) is a common reptile in North America. They survive because of a variety of adaptations. It’s the most important factor that determines how long can a turtle live without eating food. So I am going to stop with the examples here, assuming that you got the idea. eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'aquaticpals_com-box-4','ezslot_0',107,'0','0'])); Always buy your turtles from reputable breeders that take care well for their animals. Zoological details of snapping turtles: Common snapping turtle and alligator snapping turtle are the two kinds of the common snapping turtles. Any animal that wants to catch a turtle and eat it, or do anything harmful to it, can be considered a predator. There are many factors that determine the length of an alligator snapping turtle lifespan. The alligator snapping turtles makes its home in the rivers, lakes, and canals of the midwestern to southeastern United States. Or the entire vegetation of the area is destroyed and the turtle is indirectly affected. I included several tips on how your snapping turtle can live a longer and better life. Here are a few of the most well known turtle predators: If you want to see a longer list you can check out my article: What Are the Predators of Turtles ?, in this article I talk a lot more about turtle predators in general, and I also provide a longer list with details. How to Tell How Old a Box Turtle Is - The Best Methods. Some species of tortoises can live 100 years or more. Required fields are marked *. The diet is one of the most important aspects of raising a snapping turtle that’ll live a long and healthy life. How Long Do Snapping Turtles Live? We are a passionate group of writers and researchers who write about pet turtles and turtles in general. Common habitats are shallow ponds or streams. And since most animals in the wild rely on hunting other animals and eating them, you can imagine that a relatively defenceless turtle has a lot of predators. But how do people manage to find out... Are Box Turtles Nocturnal? Aquatic turtles can’t eat without water. Common Snapping turtles are pretty resistant when to comes to germs and bacteria, after all their natural wild habitats are not the cleanest out there. The first thing that people provide for their turtle is a place where it can live, and that is usually a tank. What’s most likely is a snapping turtle to live somewhere between 80 to 120 years in the wild. Snapping Turtle Types. And I am confident that you can provide that. If you are interested to learn more check out our article on that subject: What do baby snapping turtles eat? A snapping turtle’s estimated lifespan is around 30-45 years in the wild, whereas it can be extended up to 100 years with care in captivity. link to How to Tell How Old a Box Turtle Is - The Best Methods, link to Are Box Turtles Nocturnal? They also use the water for better digestion of the food. Cleanliness. I was curious, so I’ve made some research. How long do snapping turtles live? The Snapping Turtle differs from other Montana turtles by the presence of a plastron (ventral shell) that is reduced to a cross-like structure, covering perhaps only half of the ventral surface; the presence of keeled scutes or scales on the carapace (dorsal shell); and the presence of a tail at least as long … This is not because there weren’t enough studies made or anything like that. It’s the same with snapping turtles owners. Adwaita died on 22 March 2006 at the age of 255 years, in Alipore Zoological Gardens, Kolkata, India. After you buy a proper tank you also have to properly maintain the water that you keep inside, that means that you have to maintain a proper temperature and to maintain the water clean. The turtle is found as far north as South Dakota, as far west as Texas, and east to … There are other things that can be added to the list of random factors that influence the lifespan of a common snapping turtle. These turtles live in lakes, ponds, canals, and rivers. A snapping turtle in real life. But in general the lifespan of a turtle is greatly influenced by some factors. Snapping turtles in the wild face some real challenges, unlike those that are raised in captivity. TurtleOwner.com is owned and operated by The Turtle Owner Team. This hard beak has a rough cutting edge that is used for tearing food. Turtles are reptiles and are ectotherms, or cold-blooded. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'aquaticpals_com-box-3','ezslot_8',104,'0','0'])); It’s something you should know before even considering keeping one. Some may inhabit brackish environments, such as estuaries. The alligator snapping turtle lives a maximum of 200 years in the wild, and typically between 20 and 70 years in captivity. I did a little digging, and I’ve found that the oldest living snapping turtle in captivity was a turtle called by the name Thunder. Red-eared slider females are sexually mature at 3 to 5 years of age, when they are about 5 inches long. Snapping turtles natural habitat is America. As you can see the amount of time a common snapping turtle will live is not very well defined. (With Pictures and Video). But even they have a limit. Let’s take for example a tornado. But they also have no way of telling you exactly what kind of food they want, so it’s up to you to make the best choices for them. Learn more about why turtles live such long lives, and how you can keep your own turtle healthy into old age. The lives of these species are not threatened. There are many species of snapping turtles, but the common snapping turtle is a primarily aquatic animal that prefers to spend most of its time submerged beneath the water. Mating of turtles … The Snapping turtle is an unusual animal to keep as a pet. As we all know, getting a pet is a long time commitment, and some times that long time can be a little longer than we expected. Turtles are not completely defenceless against predators, if that were the case there wouldn’t be any turtles left right now. They don’t have to search for food, instead the food is given to them. If a turtle spends too much time in dirty water their health will start to suffer and this will drastically reflect in the amount of time that they will live. However, as potential pet owners should know, most species are generally able to live for decades, and could potentially serve as a near-lifelong family member. Pet common snapping turtles on the other hand are in a completely different situation. In general wild turtles have to deal with a lot of things that pet turtles don’t have to worry about. Before you go and buy a snapping turtle, first, you need to set up a tank. It’s believed that alligator snapping turtles can live up to 200 years in the wild. eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'aquaticpals_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_7',109,'0','0'])); Can you believe that an animal once bought as a pet can easily outlive you? The alligator snapping turtle lives a maximum of 200 years in the wild, and typically between 20 and 70 years in captivity. Our next ‘Ask-the-Researcher’ event on Aug. 13th is all about our turtle project! I found him on a camping trip. Turtles need water for drinking and for swimming. Temperature. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. AquaticPals.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to. Common snapping turtles sometimes bask—though rarely observed—by floating on the surface with only their carapaces exposed, though in the northern parts of their range, they also readily bask on fallen logs in early spring. A good and balanced diet is one of the most important things for a longer lifespan. Snapping turtles are solitary (live alone) most of the time. Now let’s take a closer look at some of the most important factors and see how they influence the lifespan of a common snapping turtle. How long do alligator snapping turtles live? Everybody knows that turtles live long lives, but what’s the exact lifespan of a snapping turtle. Pet common snapping turtles don’t have to deal with any of the troubles that their wild counterparts have to. It’s really easy to see how a bad temperature can badly influence how long a common snapping turtle will live. Learn more about snapping turtles from the article, In the Company of Dinosaurs (PDF), from the April 2017 issue of the Conservationist. 5 Incredible Snapping Turtle Facts! In the wild the diet of a common snapping turtle is limited to what it can find. They also have a large head, long neck, and a sharp, hooked upper jaw. ... alligator snappers can live to be 50 to 100 years old. Required fields are marked *. Adwaita is the name of the Aldabra tortoise that reached the age of 255 years. Thunder, an alligator snapping turtle, was living in the Newport Aquarium since 1999, and at the time of her death, was estimated to be 150 years old. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'aquaticpals_com-leader-1','ezslot_3',110,'0','0'])); Your email address will not be published. So a good diet means that a turtle will live a long life, but a poor diet means that the life of a turtle will be relatively short. The common snapping turtle lives a maximum of 100 years in the wild, and usually between 30 to 45 years in captivity. This video demonstrates multiple methods you could use to help a large Snapping Turtle across the road. As we all know, getting a pet is a long time commitment, and some times that long time can be a little longer than we expected. As a responsible snapping turtle owner, you want the best for your pet. How long do common snapping turtles live? Turtle metabolism slows down in cold water. Things You Will Need. No, some turtles are able to live close to 200 years, but no known turtle has lived up to 500 years. Do Painted Turtles have 'friends'? However, if you are one of those people interested in keeping this animal, you probably want to learn how you can increase your snapping turtle lifespan. As we all know, getting a pet is a long time commitment, and some times that long time can be a little longer than we expected. We hope you will enjoy the site and that you will find what you’re looking for.​. When it comes to how long turtles live, the answers can be elusive. It’s devastating when your pet dies at a young age. How long do snapping turtles live? how long do miniature turtles (1 1/2 inch) live for? Snapping turtles need a diverse diet, including both foods from animal and plant origin. Everybody knows that box turtles can live a very long time, and that they are long time commitment pets. They don’t require a spotless tank every day, but a minimum of cleanliness should be maintained. Someone who answered my previous question stated that they will die within a week or so because it is part of their nature. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. However, as pets, they can live between 30 and 60 years or more. Turtles will survive without food, but not without clean water. Hello, My name is Cameron and I am one of the founding members of Turtle Owner. M. temminckii is a solid gray, brown, black, or olive … The alligator snapping turtle is characterized by a large, heavy head, and a long, thick shell with three dorsal ridges of large scales (osteoderms), giving it a primitive appearance reminiscent of some of the plated dinosaurs, most notably Ankylosaurus. Tail of Common Snapping Turtle: These species have long tails and combines it by bony plates. Welcome to the site and we hope you find what you’re looking for. Snapping turtle in natural conditions live 150 years or more, in captivity, with a good conditions 70-80 years. Snapping turtles are noted for their powerful beak-like jaws and pugnacious disposition. Alligator Snapping turtles live a very long time compared to other animals, so let's see exactly how long they live. If you encounter a snapping turtle in the road and want to move it out of the way, the safest way to handle it and avoid being bitten is to pick it up by its hind legs to move it. What’s most likely is a snapping turtle to live somewhere between 80 to 120 years in the wild. Males average 26 inches in shell length and weigh about 175 pounds, although they have been known to exceed 220 pounds. At least, I am. At the moment the oldest living turtle in the world is a Seychelles giant tortoise that is 186 years old. I have a more in depth article about what kind of food common snapping turtles can eat, that can be found in the Care Guides section, or you can use the search function. Here’s what I’ve found out…. And they also regulate their body temperature, since turtles are cold blooded reptiles, they don’t produce their own body heat and they rely on the surrounding heat to regulate their body temperature. While it is impossible to truly know a snapping turtle’s age unless you know the precise date it hatched, you can make an educated guess using its shell, which scientists call the carapace. They have a strong body, huge claws and firm jaws, with which turtles can even bite off a person’s hand. Photo: Virginia State Parks / Flickr. So this got me wondering, are box... We are a passionate group of writers and researchers who write about pet turtles and tortoises. How old is the oldest living turtle? Here you can include most of the natural catastrophes, tornados, wildfires, floods, prolonged winters, etc. Snapping turtles have the same requirements as any other aquatic turtles. The diet is one of the most important aspects of raising a snapping turtle that’ll live a long and healthy life. But they are definitely not the favourite winner of most encounters. Your email address will not be published. And a water that is too hot, it will basically slowly boil and burn the turtle. One of the first things that you should know about a common snapping turtle before getting one as a pet is how long it lives. If what it ate was toxic you can be sure that its lifespan will be drastically reduced after that. However, there are no known cases to confirm that fact. When most predators see a young turtle they will attack it knowing that it will be an easy prey. They live in ponds, streams, and occasionally can be found in the more brackish water of estuaries. I hope you enjoy reading this article and you found the answer to the question: How long do snapping turtles live? For them, no problem is the North American Rockies – they feel great at an altitude of up to two kilometers above sea level. But if you want more details about this subject, you can find them in my other articles in the Care Guides section. Snapping turtles are very different from the small turtles known to us. Conservation Status of Common Snapping Turtle. eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'aquaticpals_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_6',106,'0','0'])); Snapping turtles have higher survival rates in captivity simply because they have a regular supply of food, shelter and they are protected from predators. Snapping turtles have a long tail, often measuring as long or longer than the carapace, that is covered with bony plates. Several common species of pet water turtles can live into their 40s, though there are many factors that will influence how long your pet turtle lives. The diet is the source of all the nutrients and vitamins that a turtle needs to live. How do water snapping turtles live - Answered by a verified Reptile Expert We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. In general the water has to be between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Where Do Snapping Turtles Live? These turtles are nocturnal so they hunt at night. I am also a the proud owner of 4 turtles, as well as biological sciences student at Oxford Brookes University. If they survive the first years of their lives, then they’ll probably live a long life. No matter how much you try, no matter how much you take care of your turtle, if you buy an unhealthy baby snapping turtle, it won’t live long. Here are some of the most important steps you should take to increase your snapping turtle lifespan. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. Every turtle deserves to live a long, healthy, and good life. This is one of the main reasons why the average age is much lower than the maximum age they can biologically reach. The worst thing about those things is that they don’t only influence a turtle directly, they influence all turtles that live in an area. Common Snapping turtles usually live 40 to 70 years, but there are cases when a common snapping turtle can end up living more than 100 years. Every pet owner wants their pet to live a long and comfortable life. When turtles bask they get rid of the harmful bacteria that live on their shell, and they also get the necessary amounts of UVB light that helps them maintain a healthy shell and bone growth.