Do you know how much this process would costs for someone at a retail repair shop? I cannot troubleshoot a problem like that remotely. I tried resetting the nvram but instead of resetting holding down those keys makes it boot into the desktop. But once it is off the power button does not seem to do anything. The power plug light stays solid green and when I first plug it in the fans and front white light come on for about half a second then stop. I’ll definitely post a picture as soon as I find the location. You can try the following. Awesome! In this model the power-on pads located above the left side of the keyboard connector. Now I am using it without battery till I get my new keyboard. thanks dear..!but is there is any solution if flex cable connecting pins temped badly? Try reconnecting the new keyboard. Here’s an example. and select it. Picture Window theme. the power pin is the leftmost one on the bottom row on the logic board connector. We are looking for the power pads to see if that will work? FIrst time, it turned on, however it shut right off after about 5sec. However! I’m looking for the pads for a macbook air 11″ mid 2011… Thx for your help. When you disconnect the battery on MacBook Pro 2016 A1706 it should turn on automatically when you plug in the power cord (assuming there is no problem with the motherboard). You refer to two different types of logic board layouts, and show the pads in two different locations, BUT the logic boards are the same!! Any Help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED…Thank You. Power up a laptop motherboard without power button or power strip. So that is a very most common problem with flex cables. Does any of this ring any bells for anyone? I replaced my keyboard on a mbp mid 2009. i got it on ebay and they said it was a used tested keyboard but when i tried to turn it on nothing happened. Thank you in advance! How to turn on a dell motherboard without the case? ... and the coil insulation burnt through, it would create a short circuit inside the fan which the motherboard may detect and refuse to power the computer on. If you disconnect the battery and plug in the AC adapter, it should turn on by itself (assuming there is no problem with the motherboard). I’ve located the power pads. You can find the model using the serial number. or 2) try the power pads? In this model the power-on pads located on the left side from the memory slot and marked R5015. Because mine was working fine, but when it ran out of batteries and shutdown, I couldn’t turn it back on again with the power button. Perhaps this will also help and you can incorporate it into this guide. thanx .. .. MacBook early 2009 MB881LL/A ::: September 2nd 2014 at 12:11 pm charakadeva Says ::: Can you use the same method to turn off the computer? Modern computers with new motherboards may have an Ethernet controller that supports the functionality of switching on a computer remotely. When you press the power button on your case, it jumps the green wire to a ground, telling the PSU to turn on. My Mac has an almost similar problem I removed the hard drive to format a remix Os partition once after a failed attempt at dual booting the os and after that it never came on. On models with internal batteries, if you disconnect the battery, the computer turns on whenever you plug in the charger. I tried again to short the power pads and the machine starts up normally with the keyboard ribbon connected. On this motherboard the pads located on the left side for the AirPort board. This calls for the need for other methods of turning on a PC without the power button. I’ll add this model to my post when I have a chance to take a picture of the motherboard. Any idea what’s happened and is it repairable. And the two sets of pads you refer to both exist on my version and in your pictures. Thank you! I have a nice image you can use, too. It’s not expensive. I have successfully located the keyboard connector. Heeelllppp meeee! (and thus power button) I have the guts of a dell precision 370 and I am trying to turn it on but without the case, how can I make it start to run? Further to my earlier post, I managed to locate the KB connector to MB (it’s next to the TP/KB connector, midway across top of battery, and no. This MBP has power-on pads located on the left side of the motherboard, right above the optical drive cable connector. Push the start button. 2. On the following picture I disconnected the hard drive cable so you can see the power-on pads better. Thx! If there is an extra ATX12V 4-pin connection on your motherboard, plug the 24-pin cable into that. There is a wide, white connector with 24 pins coming from the power supply. What are the steps that i should follow then? Scroll to p.71 to view the pre-requisite steps and then the procedure to remove the power button board. Wow – I stumbled on this by accident and what an amazing piece of work. thanks Nice tech. Menu. https://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-replace-keyboard-on-macbook-pro-13-15-17-laptops/. Maybe the screwdriver will engage with the screw this way. Thanks. How to fix USB port if still not working after tried everything with Windows/Mac and BIOS settings also. Hi, where can I find the power-on pads in a MacBook Pro Retina 13 2014 A1502 ? Just added pads locations for MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012) and MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013). Now someone has recently knocked a mug if coffee on my Macbook 15 Inch Late 2008 Unibody. Good video. And what doesn’t help is that it is not made clear how to disconnect the keyboard. I’ve been looking for the power-on pads location on this model for myself but couldn’t find it. If I plug it to supply it charges but nothing happens either way. I have reset the SMC and PRAM multiple times each. Thank you. Any suggestions? But I tried jumping those and it does not respond. Other than repair, a permanent solution to a broken or missing power button does not exist. Thank you i follow your instructions and they have produced great results so far. Any suggestions? Thanks IML Tech for this wonderful guide it helps a lot and a good reference for repairing macbook. If you have a working fan and it is properly connected with laptop motherboard and by bad luck it's not spinning as usual. Push the start button 2-3 times to eliminate remaining current. You should also add the power pins for PCs. After getting a new adaptor of the correct wattage the machine won’t turn on. my MBP unibody mid 2009 can’t be power up anymore. Shutdown the computer. The power is on and the keyboard does not work. Do you know how to jump start the newest Macbook Air mid 13? Try removing the screw while applying pressure on it. and second pin of on off switch connected with the circuit and always there is stay a (very low power +voltage) high pulse on the track of the power switch as we press the on off switch switch shot the high plus with Ground. It will turn on when the A/C is plugged back in. I’ve got a more in-depth question for ya, that I’ll ask at a later date. I am taking it to service tomorrow but i don’t have a recent backup so I would really, really need to turn it on before leaving it to service. Just added pictures for MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009). There are lots of them. @ Joe, Thank you very much for your support! Switching the power 'on & off' is done by circuits on the motherboard.The circuits are triggered to change state by a momentary shot circuit of two points in the circuit. I have tried all the tips such as SMC, PRMC reset etc but find it useless. Could be motherboard related issue. Now it doesn’t turn on at all but I can hear it try to turn on but it gets shut off right away. Meanwhile, aty the location where you show the power pads to be for late-2009, my logic board looks exactly like your pictures for the 2 different late-2009 versions. The power-on pads located on the right side from the hard drive cable. Thank you very much for your answer. However I was able to boot the logic board with these directions. You need to enter BIOS of your computer by pressing DEL. So i tried like 3 different ones that i ordered from Ebay, from model 2009 to 2011 but i never could power on the Mac with all this keyboards…. Is there any other way you can turn on a MacBook? Anyway once I put it all back together and it still did not work!!! After doing all that, I found this link where it shows the pads to turn on this macbook model … So now we know three ways to turn it on without a keyboard. Updated the post. Try each memory module at a time. The laptop should turn on, show a white screen and restart. They look like two square solder terminals positioned vertically. Found the answer myself it’s the bottom (smaller) two pads, left-below the trackpad/keyboard connector, when batteries are turned downwards. Could you please tell me where the power on pads are on that model and how do you short pins? This is regardless of rather the lid is open or closed. Hi, I had a minor liquid spill on my MBP, Mid-2012. Locate the serial number printed on the bottom cover and enter it in the search tech specs box (click on Browse by Product button first). same as a desktop mother board. your help is greatly appreciated! But, it?s quite technical and complicated for the ordinary computer … It's safe as well as desktop mothe rboard just you need to know how power system of motherboard is functioning or how it's work as we press power button. in your search box yielded no results. Hey, any ideas for the Macbook Pro Retina Display A1398 15” ? The manual has step-by-step disassembly instructions. I just found this now… I’ll try tonight on my Macbook Pro I5 2.3GHZ…. Hi. Things I tried:-Removing battery and power cord and holding power button for 5 mins to discharge (didnt work) Removing and resetting RAM. My data is safe so I’m hesitant to push my luck by putting the hd back in the machine. Saved me from having to replace my backlight after a water spill. I guess this means that the late-2009 has at least one more layout, the one I have, which is a combination of the late 2009 and the late 2010. Was it liquid spill by any chance? If they are none does the 5th pin to post work on this model then? Hi, Here’s a link to the service manual for your laptop. How to fix if DELL Laptop not recognizing adopter which is working on other laptops. In this model the power-on pads look like two solder terminals and located right above the touchpad cable. great guide! I did get my fans to spin for a short while, then they died. Help me find the power-on pads for macbook air 11″ a1370 2011. I will try to take a photo. Just in case, try reseating memory modules. Can you please help me out? Maybe it’s just poor connection between the cable and logic board. You can start your computer with pressing keys in your keyboard. or 2) try the power pads? The macsafe adapter is working fine, it is still able to charge my battery, etc. Short the two pins carefully and the MB should power on. Do I have to unplug the keyboard cable first? I have a macbook Air 11″ Mid 2011 Model A1370 and i have located the power on pads on this model. Thank you. These pads are located to the left of the memory slots and above a silk screened “HF/e1” on the logic board. I just found out that a MacBook Pro 17-inch early 2009 has the power-on pads in the same location as a Mid 2009 model. Will it stay on? Your page “Turning on MBP without pb” (mine is MBP 15′ mid-2010) says that if the short does not work the first time on the power pads you need to disconnect the KB from MB. Could it be that the small battery on the motherboard is running low? In my case the power button works so those the fan please I need help I’m quite confused on what to do. But I do not know where the keyboard cable is and attaches to the motherboard. So is it possible the logic board got an issue? Pretty sure I’m screwed. XP is getting a little buggy these days so it probably get retired soon. FIrst time, it turned on, however it shut right off after about 5sec. Photo of the detached button: https://ibb.co/d8UPJy Photo of where it should be: https://ibb.co/dhsByy If I told it in the position of the second photo and press the button, the laptop starts up as usual. My MacBook Pro a1502 mid 2014 13.3′ retinal keyboard failed due to spill, can u please help me to locate power on pad. There are also two very tiny pads on the white (and black) polycarbonate (pre-Unibody) models. It is on almost every day. Trying to jump the computer as per the article above does nothing. These are power-on pads on a MacBook Pro Early 2008. (didnt work). I was in a panic after I realized that the power key died along with my keyboard which I accidentally busted…thank you so much!! before i started this it would turn on and i could use it with a usb keyboard. Take a look at the following two pictures. I thus figured that the keyboard / power button was bad and replaced it. Hi i have a mac book pro 2013 (late ) 17 inch where are the power pads on these. For MBP 13, mid 2009, your comments and pictures are totally confusing. Turn it on to see if the problem persists. can you suggest any institute. Maybe it’s memory related issue. I don’t know if it will solve my troubles, … but I’m sure it is a big nice work you’ve done ! Thank’s. So i decided to order one and even 3 from Ebay. Using the keyboard to bring power to a laptop is a configuration that most laptops have. Is there any other way you can turn on a MacBook? Someone pulled it by the video cable, breaking the D-Sub plug. And of course it won’t boot so I’m trying to short the power button. 8 in a sister page on this website “How to Disassemble MBP 15″ mid-2010 and replace KB” and disconnected it (battery needs to be removed for easy access). i hit the battery power button to see if it had a charge, and the lights dont light up AT ALL now. I posted some tips for troubleshooting and cleaning laptops after liquid spill here. I will publish the picture when I receive it. Just added MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early-Late 2011). You’ll find compete MBP 15″ mid 2009 disassembly instructions here. On this motherboard the power-on pads located horizontally, on the left side from the square SMC chip (the larges square chip on the picture). It was worth it. When you turn it on via power-on pads it should stay on. Is it a known issue with this method or did i screw up somewhere? I posted the same questions but with photos on the ifixit website and got an answer. New keyboard ordered and it’s like it never happened!! So I suspect the Air 11″ 2011 may also have pads in a different place. Or look in the startup manual for them. Thanks for the site, it gives me hope to get mine going. Do you have any tips of a stuck keyboard screw?? The problem is the laptop has the power button as one of the keyboard keys so I cannot turn it on without the keyboard connected. If your power supply is working, you will need to troubleshoot further. It’s a huge hassle to order a power button just to find out if the motherboard is good. Thank you for the wonderful site. Yes we can power up a laptop without connecting it's power button board or power strip..!! Help! thanks! Right above the screw there should be two vertical square pads marked “PWR”. Don’t want to experiment with shorting circuits. I’ll keep looking for the answer though. You can find a new replacement power button board on eBay. Just added pictures for MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011). In this MBP the power-on pads located between the trackpad connector and hard drive connector. So now I’ve turned it on and tested every single key on the keyboard. It seems to have booted with the power pads but the screen doesn’t turn on. Will the removal of one of the pads affects the operation of the laptop? Thanks! Two square terminals positioned vertically. BUT, I have a MacBook Air 13″, model late 2010, and the internals look different from any of the above. Actually, I just posted something and now noticed an additional complication. Don’t forget to disconnect the internal one. The good news is, you can turn on an Android phone with a broken power button. As a last resort, you can remove the hard drive and install it into an external USB enclosure (available in local computer store). I’d like to use the MBP until the new KB comes in, I have an external USB I can use and mouse worked fine before shut down. I don’t think i damaged the screen at any point or that i unplugged anything related. I used your method to successfully turned on my A1398 with a dead power button, back in July. I don’t know where the pads are located on this model. @ Joanna, I just emailed him and asked for a picture. We have a 17″ MacBook Pro 2011 and we replaced the hard drive, turned it on and it was fine, then realized we were missing 2 screws and thought maybe they were inside the case, so we took off case and looked around for screws, found them elsewhere, screwed it back together and now there is no power at all to the laptop and no light from the cord going into the macbook. NOTE: shorting the power-on pads might not work if the keyboard still connected to the motherboard. Your laptop has a different motherboard. [got back from holiday and the mbp late 08 wouldnt power up, no indication of fluids spilled on it]. One of the power on pads of Macbookpro8.2 A1286 peeled away. I can’t find any pads near the keyboard connector. You can short the bottom left pin on the A1181 top case connector to turn it on. Home. The power-on pads located right above the left side of the keyboard connector on the motherboard. Before you buy a new keyboard make sure it’s the right one. Take a flat head screw driver and touch it to the two pins the power switch was plugged into for 1-2 seconds. After about 3 -4 minutes while I was writing this I suddenly heard the boot up chime!!! I forgot to say that the Apple Logo comes up with a spinning wheel below it, and I hear the chime and everything like they ‘re supposed to sound, and then all of a sudden shutdown. Hey there…Many thanks, works for my MB Air 11′. I got to the point where i typed my login password and as soon as my hopes began rising it shut down again. The power-on pads located on the motherboard. I would like to swap out the motherboard and use it.Sincerely, @Molly Morgan from universal AD-DC adapter, Hi, I'd like to share a little bit. It’s a white unibody and from searching I think it’s an A1342 but there’s nothing, even tiny on the bottom. inside keypad Receptor plug 00 Outside (away from Fan 00) between inside #s 1st & 2nd copper points inside this Receptor plug success !!! Amazing! Start by unplugging the power switch from your motherboard. It would start up your Air.”. Hi! Thank you for all your work, time and effort to make others lives easier, peace out. I have discovered that by bridging pins 5 and 6 of the keyboard connector, the PC turns on. Pictures of symptoms found, all show horizontal lines or fluid? Does it blink when the memory is removed? Could it be possible that keyboards from model 2011 and 2012 have different wires schema? I have a Macbook 11.1, an a1502 retina. Ever since it turns on fine but then turns off after 10 second or so. Or should i download the file again from another Macbook and try to boot it with a usb stick? I would suggest testing the laptop with a new keyboard before actually installing keyboard (takes some time). Fixed. I’ve taken the HD out, which is thankfully still in tact. I have a 13-inch retina MBP, A1502 EMC 2835 (so mid 2015). or where should i start to start troubleshooting the problem. where are the power pad’s on 17 inch early 2008? Reseting PRAM might help to restore power settings to defaults. .. .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odM7Vlpmmd4 ::: Where are the power On pads ?? The location depends on the model (year). just stumbled across it tonite. Hello…Have you happen to find the Pads for the mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13″ (Non Retina)? I would great appreciate your help! Apparently, the logic board was damaged by liquid. Want to know how to turn on laptop without power button? HP Presario CQ61 laptop doesn’t have power-on pads like Mac laptops. Just added MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010). for mac book pro A1398 retina early 2013: i soldered one wire to a small resistor just in front of pin 5. the 2nd wire i clamped under a screw that holds the fan (ground). it eventually turned off and i ended up trying to do this method again. Look for the front panel gold pin header on the motherboard. Plug your tablet, laptop, or desktop directly into the wall if it's not already. I guess that MBP (13-inch, Mid 2009) have two different logic boards. Appreciate clarification. Just in case, try to reset NVRAM. Your email address will not be published. I thoroughly went over the motherboard and all connections and made sure everything was dry with no corrosion. Strangely this process starts the computer the moment the mag safe is re-connected. Yes, in some cases you have to do that. You just need to do some settings in your BIOS for this. basically. In order to turn on the laptop you’ll have to short the 5th pin from the left side of the keyboard connector to the ground (a metal stud on the motherboard). In this model the power-on pads located on the upper side of the motherboard, on the right side from the screw mounting hole. Then go to power management setup, in your BIOS and press enter to select it. https://www.informaticanapoli.it/accendere-macbook-senza-bottone/, Hi, Does anyone know where are the power-on pads on a Macbook pro 2016 A1706? Originally screen only showed lot of colored lines… Could tilt (like closing) and see screen sometimes. I have an HP DC7700 minitower. I can also turn it off like normal through the apple drop down menu. Not yet. Reporting: Pushing Power button doesn't alway start the laptop This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. There are two pads at the lower left that look similar to the power pads on other boards. Get fully practically chip level repairing help and tips for all kind and brand of Laptop, Notebook, Netbook, Tablets.