And here I am now, at a job that I love in the social work field, where I’ve been asked many times; “Why do you want to be a social worker?” The answer is quite simple. Becoming a social worker … Social workers help relieve people's suffering, fight for social justice, and improve lives and communities. Best of luck! Many people go into social work because they themselves were helped by social workers at an earlier point in life. She all, Kadian McDonald | Client Relationships and Ethical Boundaries for Social Workers in Child Welfare. I lived in that shelter on and off for three years. Social workers communicate with clients as well as other … I can say that being a social worker was never in my plans. When I was seventeen, I went into a more stable group home environment and lived there until I was eighteen. I didn’t have anywhere to go, and I didn’t know what I was going to do, but one last strike of my stepmother's hand drove me into the streets of West Palm Beach, and the streets were no place for a fourteen-year-old girl. It was so confusing. I cried for all the times I was misunderstood. “I think I went into social work because I wanted to help people who didn’t have the opportunities that I had growing up. Why? In fact, there’s no program or assistance for the disabled in Africa both old and young. Because the role of social worker is changing. However, this encounter kept playing like a video in my mind till now that is has come clearer that my pursuit of becoming a social worker will answer my many questions. The choices were endless on which way to go with this field of study. your own paper. I too turned away from social work many times only to be directed back to the field. Client Relationships and Ethical Boundaries for Social Workers in Child Welfare, Transgender Day of Remembrance 2020: What Social Workers Need To Know, What I Wish I Had Known: Burnout and Self-Care in Our Social Work Profession, Fusing Fitness With Mental Health Treatment in Supportive Housing and Related Settings. As a social worker, effective communication is significant, because it helps to build a relationship between the social worker and the client. I was so glad to come across this article you wrote. That’s the reality of it, but here I am working toward changing a child’s reality one day at a time, changing my knowledge one class at a time, and changing my life one step at a time. … All over the world, there is and will always be abuse. Essay, Use multiple resourses when assembling your essay, Get help form professional writers when not sure you can do it yourself, Use Plagiarism Checker to double check your essay, Do not copy and paste free to download essays. Some clients don't have any of these problems and just need a social worker because they are financially unstable. To help secure our nation of course! Although I can agree that personal experiences can also taint us because remember all the ethics we learn about not crossing boundaries etc. I want to be in the army. I want to be a social worker because I have a passion and need to help people. After taking more and more courses, I narrowed it down to working with children and their families. Social workers contribute at all levels of society. If you need this or any other sample, we can send it to you via email. To help save lives of course! For the times I was left alone. I have been in their shoes. I did not fit in with my family. I appreciate the professors who remind me to take care of myself and tell me that I can do this. However, school was suffering, and I had to start anew and focus on school. And I thought: look at all that variety. My passion stems from years of abuse and neglect. All you need to do is fill out a short form and submit an order. I highly respect this article. You have overcome so much and turn around to uplift and provide the youth with tools to persevere is beautiful to read. Who am I and why do I want to be a social worker Just like most children, I had my fantasies and wishes of becoming a medical doctor so I could help alleviate the sufferings of many. I felt like my being on this earth was for a reason and that I was destined to do something great with my life. I feel that anyone that has had the resiliency to survive and thrive also has that something special as well. Those experiences can affect the work we do but it is ultimately up to us if we let it and that is what makes you a great social worker. But I didn’t care, and I fled that hellhole so the voice inside of me, crying out for something better, wouldn’t die. "You must agree to out terms of services and privacy policy", Don't use plagiarized sources. It all starts with me, and while I may not be able to save the entire world, I saved myself and by saving myself, I will be able to save others. Social workers change people's lives. After that day, I knew that's what I wanted to do. These programs serve people with a history of mental illness, substance … I need to know they have my back. Taken into consideration that we live in a diverse society where we encounter people with different culture, backgrounds, race, believes, values etc, there’s every need to accommodate, tolerate and celebrate each other regardless of these differences. First, I am sorry that I did not see your comment a year ago :( however, to answer your question I most certainly believe that personal experiences molded me to be the social worker I am today. She moved from relative to relative and friend to friend, which forced her to become self-sufficient to survive and eventually go into foster care as a teen. Being a support worker has also helped to Improve my confidence, patience, been my passion and becoming a social worker will mean actualities my long awaited dream. "I've been a social worker for 20 years, so it's critical that my supervisors trust my judgment. Retrieved from https://graduateway.com/who-am-i-and-why-do-i-want-to-be-a-social-worker/, This is just a sample. I harassed social workers … Whether it was homeless or in a shelter, I knew I deserved to be treated better. She aged out of care and became independent. However, I do realize that even the most-seasoned professionals make … My service was in the health care setting where I had the opportunity to help people with diverse family problems, health challenges, domestic violence, rape etc, and liaising with other non-governmental agencies to work with the less advantaged to achieve better lives. I have always been of the opinion that, If, everyone contributes positively towards the society by way of gang help and support where needed, this world will be a better place. Becoming a Social Worker. I don't think it hurts us, but can make us better social workers. They help children have a brighter future. I felt loved there. That is when I finally decided to become a social worker. But how could I make myself like everybody else and still be true to me? It was home. Secondly, are the three premises on which social work … Please contact the publisher for permission to reproduce or reprint any materials on this site. I was so happy there I actually got to celebrate Christmas, something other kids took for granted, but to me it was new and amazing. Instead, I was emotionally abandoned. IWhen things happened to me I was not sure if I should tell anyone because I didn't know how to process what happened. The latest issue on poverty according to Department for work and pension and Department of education (2013) [internet], there are almost 300,000 households in the I-J where none of the adults has ever worked and 300,000 children with parents going through drug issues. Introduction In wanting to become a social worker I must have motivation that would drive me to such a specific field. I enjoy seeing the smiles on kids' faces when they get to see their parents or family members who they haven’t seen in weeks, months, and even years.Those smiles are what make my pain and sad experiences tolerable. Social workers help children and families in need of food, homes, and health care. Public Mental Health or Behavioral Health Agencies are often the best place to get a case worker or social worker. I had to leave, and I thought that any place on earth was better than living with my father and stepmother. My social workers were my first insight to what a social worker is and what a social worker does. When I was fourteen, I ran away from home. By using your experiences to solve real world problems but also not using your experiences to keep those boundaries in tact. Since arriving here in ASK, I have had the opportunity of working as a support worker and have further acquired and improved my skills in areas such as communication, psychology and total well-being of individuals. How stupid that a child would dream of saving the world, a world that she had not yet even experienced. This is what makes me different. Granted, we certainly came to social work because we are caring, helping, empathic people who want to help others, but we are certainly NOT "touchy-feely… I have been a social worker for a little over 8 years and it is such a great feeling to see other social workers speaking in a positive light about the profession!! Hi Marion, I hope that since you posted this last year, you have found what you love to do as well as taken care of yourself. I lived with extended family members and a few friends until I found a shelter that would take me in. I had goals that no one could fathom. Their predicament which is swept under the carpet is also characterized by an exclusion from social service, inaccessible infrastructure as well as neglect and abuse. So why do I want to be a social worker? One thing I have observed thus far is that our past experiences should help make us better social workers. As a would be social worker, I intend facilitating change in some areas where lesser attention is paid. I spoke different, and I thought different. My need comes from knowing that changing the … Taking Care of Business and a Few Other Things Along the Way. Great gift book for social work graduates! I have one more semester left to complete my Bachelor's degree, and then on to get my Master's degree. Because I'm tired of all the masses following … Female genital mutilation was a tradition ND many female children died in the process. This experience went a long way in healing my broken heart as a young innocent girl that grew up where injustice thrived. Such an answer would indicate a … Why Do I Want to Become a Social Worker? I hope you take this away with you. On the top of that, you shouldn’t connect your job choice to the past, saying that you want to work as a social worker because you graduated from the field. Sometimes it does seem like educators are trying to dissuade those who have been hurt, however, I do not think they do so because they want to oppress us. I was fortunate enough to live in a caring loving family and my … I want to be a social worker because I have a passion and need to help people. “I am in Social Work because the profession gives me the opportunity to help people from all walks of life in a multitude of settings. How we are depends on owe we experience this early relationship. Social work is a broad, diverse field where the work … Ask a social worker for the reason they chose the social work profession and the standard answer is “I want to help people.” I think this is the expected answer. Firsthand knowledge of the needs, vulnerability and suffering of some of society’s most … To deal with these issues, there is a need for solving the problem from its root rather than approaching it on the surface. During my residence in Germany, I mirrored a charity organization that was responsible to organize music concerts in the hospitals settings, residential homes for both the elderly and young people. For all the times I was hurt. However, the educator's in this field seem to think it taints us as social workers. Social Justice is also about making family, community and society function better without prejudice, oppression, discrimination and inequality, providing the support and tools to help make life more comfortable. I wanted to be a high school history teacher, and I thought I could change the world by sparking the love of learning in children, making history come alive. As a support worker, I worked with older people with learning disabilities and supported them in their own homes and in residential settings. While these clients might seem like they would be easier to help, they can be very stressed when visiting social … Who am i and why do i want to be a social worker. (2018, Feb 10). Africa has one of the largest populations of children with disabilities in the world. I have also been able to work effectively with older people with disabilities by providing continuous support to hem. Although this desire was not actualities as I ended up studying engineering but I always felt a big vacuum and an unquenchable desire which couldn’t explain until I became a care support worker In my early years as a growing young girl In Africa, abuse and Injustice happened on a daily basis and nothing was done about it. Family instability leads to poverty not Just to the concerned families but to the whole nation in general. Why? Having an African background, my experience with children with disability is heart breaking. I want to be a doctor. Initially, Shirley said she decided on social work because of her life experience of personal suffering and hardship, and knew she loved ‘people work’. Opinions expressed on this site are the opinions of the writer and do not necessarily represent the views of the publisher. I wanted to focus on why individuals chose the social work path b/c I hear more negative than positive about the profession. According to Open University (2013) [internet], social work is a profession which aims to protect children and adult from harm whatever their age, gender and cultural background. My Interest In pursuing this career was birthed when I worked alongside some charitable organizations In Nigeria during my National Youth Service. There are some issues that are triggering to me, but I know what they are and I know what to do to take care of myself. Although I did not go through any of this because my parents were educated and civilized, but these horrible Incidents happened right before me to those my friends, neighbors and relatives and the sight of these oppression and injustices broke my heart but being that I was only a child, I couldn’t intervene. Thank you for sharing! I was abused emotionally, mentally, and physically at the hands of people who were supposed to guide me in the right direction, love me unconditionally, and help me to reach my goals, encourage, and never neglect me. Marcus Goff Jones, LCSW | Transgender Day of Remembrance 2020: What Social Workers Need To Know, The one constant topic or area of concerns my last 25 years is the lac of good mental health covera, AnnMarie Buswell | What I Wish I Had Known: Burnout and Self-Care in Our Social Work Profession, Seems there are not a lot of sites out there devoted strictly to the symbiotic relationship between, Shawn Bills | Fusing Fitness With Mental Health Treatment in Supportive Housing and Related Settings. Being different made me feel alone, and maybe if I could be more like them, I could be happy. Get Your Custom Essay on, Who am i and why do i want to be a social worker, By clicking “Write my paper”, you agree to our, Unit 206: Understand the Role of the Social Care Worker, Roles and challenges of social worker in promoting the rights of children seeking asylum, Role of Social Worker in Community Prevention Programs, Understanding the role of the social care worker, Understand the role of the social care worker, https://graduateway.com/who-am-i-and-why-do-i-want-to-be-a-social-worker/, Get your custom As a social worker, you interact with … D'atra Franklin We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. What is your opinion on this? In case you can’t find a sample example, our professional writers are ready to help you with writing Earning a master’s degree in social work is the first step needed to obtain licensure. I have been treating transgender people 2012. A social worker has a very important job. Good luck in your future career! But then I took a job in the social work field, and I instantly knew that this is what I was meant to do. Thank you so much for sharing your stories!! Keep blessing those you help D'atra! I wanted to be a social worker. They get to help people in some of the most special ways possible. Most people think of social workers when they think of poverty alleviation and child … From the time I was seven and I lost my mother, I felt different. Here are their answers: “I love being a social worker because it’s an honor to help people achieve success in their respective lives. Maxine is a Social Work, who encourages her clients to call her at home when they need her. It is the skills and talents we possess that make us great social workers and it is better not to forget that! Social work is evolving to be more than what it’s been … I cried because I was so different from my friends. I believe that while trying to improve the lives of adults and youths especially those with drug and alcoholic problems, helping children overcome poverty without waiting for it to escalate into bigger issues is appropriate. ‘I was a public servant at the Department of Social Security (now DHS) at Woodridge. I was made to clean, cook, and take care of my infant sister and brother. I was like wow!!!! According to Open University (2013) [internet], social work is a profession which aims to protect children and adult from harm whatever their age, gender and cultural background. A hospital social worker serves to assist patients in dealing with the sometimes-overwhelming effects of hospitalization. Well like I said, I want to help people and that’s what social workers do every day. While … I want to be a social worker because it feels right. Sorry, but copying text is forbidden on this website. Choose to be a social worker because you want to bear witness to the courage, the resiliency, the trials and the triumphs of fascinating individuals. Then, social work came up as a choice. That's why we need more social workers to help those who are suffering in silence. My need comes from knowing that changing the world starts with helping one person and being able to empathize with them. Patients and families of patients are often under a lot of emotional pressure and … Helping these troubled families turn their lives around is paramount because hillier in such homes will have their chances of success reduced and this will be passed on to their next generation. There are many different types of … more than 4 years ago. The fact that my social workers were committed to my well-being and pushed me to my full potentials demonstrated their concern for me as well as their ethical commitment. I am also a student working on my BSW and hoping to go on and attain an MSW. Social workers have to realize that no matter what people have done, they are still people who need help. I made friends, and I even got a job. I have came across more reasons why to change a career from SW, rather than why to stay with it. Social work teaches me to respect the vulnerability, the relationship, the … I can relate to your story in many ways. I voraciously read this, as I could see myself in this story so clearly and share the feeling you have for social work and for the world. I am deeply passionate, patient, and tolerant and enjoy the service of humanity. I can understand we need to continuously self evaluate in order to make sure this does not happen, but I think that by these experiences will help us as social workers understand our client's better. You can get your custom paper from Social work thrives on social Justice which is based on the concept of equality, human right, fairness, mutual obligation in the society and helping to reduce poverty in the society. Last night I cried for what seemed like forever. What will become of these children being raised in such a precarious situation? JTWidget = { code: 'glAP1OUdhrMkdjqCNv9F8svMCzk2oF3O'}; All material published on this website Copyright 1994-2020 White Hat Communications. Another burning issue on my mind is people with disabilities and how they are being treated. Furthermore, for every child, adult, and family we help as … I'm in the process to start blogging about different experiences related both professional and personal. I want to be a social worker. I further developed a keen interest to train in this career over the years because of my work and experience as a support worker and work with young homeless people in Germany. ... because … She loved being a social worker and did not want to give up on her career so she has moved in to adult social work and is enjoying the new challenge. My passion stems from years of abuse and neglect. I do feel as if I have something special to offer and have skills that I have developed in response to my abuse that will make me a better social worker. I am very passionate about family welfare and ensuring healthy the social work values and ethics which will be acquired during my course of study combining it with my own values. Beautiful story. As evident as this may seem, helping to change lives is one of … Social Work Provides a Way to Connect With Your Community. My childhood was taken from me. our expert writers, Hi, my name is Jenn 👋 A tradition where women were treated like slaves, children suffered abuse and neglect and not even the government could stop it. D'atra Franklin's mother died when she was a young child, requiring her to take care of herself from an early age. Why wouldn’t my tears cease to fall from my bloodshot eyes? She then enrolled in college, graduated with her associate's degree, and went on to Florida Atlantic University to earn her bachelor's degree. I agree, our bad experience's will help us understand those we are helping in a deeper way. Payne, M (2005). Evidence suggests that children tend to enjoy better life, become successful, and thrive better both psychologically and developmentally when the same two parents are able to support and protect them through childhood stage. She loves to write, read, and dance. Some of the challenges encountered in the society have its roots traceable to early life.