Also, if you're above a fireplace it's probably just plaster directly on brick and you can find some good masonry anchors for that. To install, insert the bolt through your fixture and thread the toggle onto it. Toggle or molly bolts are required. Thread the bolt through the hole in the bracket, and attach the toggle from the other side. Also comes in handy when running cables through walls, or if you need to pick up nails or screws quickly. Maybe only a 1 1/2" wide cavity. Drilling a hole with a masonry bit will be required, more below on installing toggle and molly bolts. I had some and they claimed to support 250 lbs per toggle bolt. Zinc-Plated Steel Phillips Mushroom-Head Toggle Bolt Anchors (15-Pack) ... institutional and residential grab bar installations. The provided revolutionary toggle bolts can hold upto 200lbs on 1/2" drywall. https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Semi-rigid-Inspection-Megapixels-Waterproof/dp/B06WRNGYXY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514655744&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+endoscope+camera. It’s like having an extra pair of hands. Slip your fastener onto the toggle bolt. This page contains pictures, descriptions, and load ratings for the most commonly available wall anchors for drywall, plaster, and masonry, including solid and hollow walls and ceilings. Installing wall hooks or fasteners into plaster walls isn’t difficult—that is, if you use the right approach. The tip had reddish dust on it so I stopped. It is an interior wall. You say reddish dust. A patented strap design with sturdier straps and smaller ratchet interval adjusts more precisely and snaps off flush to the surface. This is what I ended up doing. The hammer and drill combined are probably a little less that the weight of the tv. These anchors come in three basic types: sleeve, toggle, and expansion. Those snap toggles are pretty bad ass though. Putting your toggle bolt on the drywall is simple. That’ll help keep the plaster from cracking. I'm not sure what buildings are like in your area, but here's a tip if they're anything like in the GTA. I stuck a paper clip in one of the finder holes and there is definitely not much distance between behind the plaster and another solid object behind the plaster (maybe the other wall?). The stud finder is all over the chart, and knocking seems to find random pockets. TOGGLER 100-Pack Assorted Length 1/4-in dia Toggle Bolt Drywall Anchor (Screws Included) Item #790483. This will not support a TV properly as in my experience they are so old and dry that they snap most of the time you put a screw in them. True. Heavy Duty Plasterboard Fixings, Toggle Bolts, Self Drilling Plasterboard Fixings, Cavity Fixings & Hollow Wall Fixings, Hollow Core Doors, Masonry Wall Plugs, and even secure fixings for Thermalite - whatever your fixing application, there's a TOGGLER ® anchor that will not only work, but excel in its application. 267. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the HomeImprovement community. Now it offers a 150-lb.-rated SecureMount version for mounting flat screen TVs. To use them, hold the mount up to the wall. Expert advice from Bob Vila, the most trusted name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and DIY. Since this is so light, I was thinking of just using snap toggle bolts in the "pockets". I finally managed to find an anchor that works in lath and plaster -- it's called a toggle bolt or molly! By Bob Vila. Model #24200. Pretty sturdy so far. Installing blinds into plaster is similar to installing them in drywall. Use one that will safely support the weight of the object to be suspended. He used a toggle bolt in the top hole of each of the brackets. Select a bolt long enough to include the object plus the wall plus the length of the toggle then folded up. Before we get started, though, there are a few tools you’ll need, most of which you … No TV yet but 4 toggle bolts in behind the 2" plaster. Honestly though, sometimes you just end up making a 16" row of screw holes 3/4" apart. Molly bolts are hard to remove. Medium-Duty Drywall Medium-Duty E-Z Ancor Twist-N-Lock 75 lbs. I had some and they claimed to support 250 lbs per toggle bolt. Sometimes they have that metal cheese grater shit in the wall that sends my studfinder off. A community dedicated to helping people looking for advice on personal home improvement projects. This means your exterior walls aren't 2x4 studs but in fact 1x2 strapping nailed to small wood wedges between bricks. I'm about ready to smash this studfinder into the wall to find the studs. This, I imagine, would create little pockets like you described, if it is indeed a very old house. If you keep getting resistance after drilling … I didn't want holes in my wall... so I found an affordable floor stand like this. You can also find molly bolts small enough to use with hollow doors. Reusable in the same hole – remove the bolt without losing the anchor. I'll get myself a magnet. Remember plaster is soft. They should not be twirling while you are fixing the bolt. Sometimes they have that metal cheese grater shit in the wall that sends my studfinder off. Then make the hole bigger with the spade bit. The hollow wall anchors work, but you must select the correct size and once in the wall you cannot remove them. 3. Insert the bracket in the bolt and thread the toggle onto its end. The next stud I found from the one that the outlet is affixed to is 14" to the left, not the standard 16". Package contains 2 pcs. I only know this because The stud finder thought the stud was 16" away so I was like, yeah that makes sense. They are a heavy duty choice when hanging heavy objects on hallow wall systems, like drywall and plaster. The mount is 5 lbs and the tv is 16 lbs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00772WOA8/. Use your fingers to tighten the bolt, then finish with a screwdriver. When you have large windows in a home with plaster walls, installing blinds gives you added privacy and blocks the light from coming in. Next, fold the toggle wings flush against the bolt and push them through a drilled hole until they pop open on the other side. Next, thread the butterfly onto the bolt, squeeze the butterfly, then pass it through the hole until you feel the butterfly open. Other posters mentioned magnets and baseboard nails, I've used both of those with success too. Toggle bolts work by anchoring themselves to the back of the drywall. In my experience the spring loaded toggle bolts work best, the only issue is if you remove the towel bar, the end of the toggle is lost inside the wall and a new one must be used. Listen to BOB VILA ON ANCHORS FOR PLASTER or read the text below: First, use two pieces of painter’s tape to mark an X over the spot where you plan to drill. It's a bolt that screws into a pair of spring-loaded metal "wings." Tuck in the flanges at the end of each bolt, then slide them through the mount and into the wall. It's old and strange. Drilled and got notta. Wow, I had not idea these were so cheap! A toggle bolt can be used similar to a molly bolt but with less care taken when installing. It looks like rust, not flaky brick. Might work great because I intend to put a couch "under" the TV, which would help support it. Plastic anchors provide little holding power in drywall, so use molly or toggle bolts when hanging heavy objects, since they spread out behind the wall, providing much more support. A spring -loaded toggle holds against the back of the material. A spring-loaded toggle holds against the back of the material. Be careful not to over-tighten the bolt, or you could crack the plaster. I've got one of these that works well. Is this an exterior wall? Can I drill the hole at an angle to get the snap toggle into the cavity and then extend vertically behind the plaster? E-Z Ancor Twist-N-Lock 75 lbs. Bob Vila Radio is a newly launched daily radio spot carried on more than 75 stations around the country (and growing). Do you own this? Inside part of the other interiors is wood paneling. On the baseboard point, I've had luck looking for the nails in the baseboard. Ton's of false positives in between. Pull back on the bolt and tighten. I used a concrete bit and barely got into it before getting stuck. Unfortunately, studs are not always where we need them to be, and for this job, traditional anchors and toggle bolts tv mount are just not up to the task. https://www.amazon.com/FITUEYES-Universal-Swivel-Adjustable-TT106001MB/dp/B01M3XIJRG. I’ve been through the same thing, and I am still trying to find a way to get it mounted. They make smaller holes and are 4x faster to install then wing bolts or wing toggles. The mount is 5 lbs and the tv is 16 lbs. I have also always had a rough time with plaster walls. Those numbers seem kind of in reverse of where I would think they should be. I have also always had a rough time with plaster walls. Pointed-tip molly bolts are great for hanging objects on drywall. Exceeds all building codes and ADA guidelines; In very old homes, rather than remove lead paint, people sometimes sheetrock over the old walls. When installing a toggle bolt, to keep the plaster from cracking, use two pieces of painter’s tape to mark the spot where you intend to drill. SNAPTOGGLE heavy-duty toggle bolts carry twice the load in a smaller hole than standard wing anchors. Next, thread the butterfly onto the bolt, squeeze the butterfly, then pass it through the hole until you feel the butterfly open. Drill a hole through the wall. Also, are you sure the bookcase is 75 pounds and can only hold 25 pounds? Fold the toggle back, and insert it through the wall hole until you feel the wings have opened on the other side of the wall. Toggle bolts are a little different. TOGGLER 100-Pack Assorted Length 3/16-in dia Toggle Bolt Drywall Anchor (Screws Included) Item #790482. Lath and plaster walls can’t accept typical plastic anchors. Now, with all that in mind, if you're on an interior 2x3 or larger framed wall, take your stud finder and switch it to search for metal. Drill a hole where you want your object to hang. Pull back on the bolt and tighten. You should affix the bookcase to the studs, not the plaster. No TV yet but 4 toggle bolts in behind the 2" plaster. Copyright © 2020 Acton Media Inc. All rights reserved. And it will not support the TV because it is old and will crumble if I put an anchor in it? Plastic versions hold medium loads in drywall and plaster. You could be hitting steel mesh lath or even the back side of structural brick. Pre-installs without the bolt to make handling of fixture easier. However, Moen (yeah, the faucet company) developed a great wall anchor system for attaching bathroom grab bars. This is a VERY old house and I have no idea what is behind the plaster walls. Very old house. Watch this video to … Insert a toggle bolt (just the threaded bolt without the anchor wings) through each mounting hole in the shelf bracket, then thread the wings onto the bolts … Pull the bolt back until the wings catch the wall. The package says each one is good for 80lbs. Those snap toggles are pretty bad ass though. Use 1-in drill bits to do pre-drilling, then easily install the toggle bots with a #3 Phillips screw driver or screw gun. I'd be too afraid it would tip over without anything on top/in front of it. If so, will the snap toggles still support the same amount of weight? In my experience as a reno carpenter, homes with plaster walls often predate batt insulation. holes required). If you are new here, please review posting/commenting guidelines. Had this up all night. https://imgur.com/a/2aArz. That's probably the red dust you're getting. Those are typically nailed into the stud. So, you think the stud I found that the outlet is affixed to is brick? Or take off the baseboards and do a little more destructive searching there, then replace the baseboards. Get yourself a wicked strong magnet and find where the lath is nailed to the studs. Everbilt 3/16 in. Bolts are beveled under the head for use in countersunk holes. Next, fold the toggle wings flush against the bolt and push them through a drilled hole until they pop open on the other side. Step 1: Selecting the Correct Toggle Bolt Model #24100. Get yourself a wicked strong magnet and find where the lath is nailed to the studs. If the screw is long enough – a minimum of 2 inches – it won't go anywhere no matter what it supports. Do you use it without any additional support? Using a drill bit that’s just slightly larger than the butterfly on your bolt, drill through the tape and the wall, then gently withdraw the bit straight out and remove the tape. You agree that BobVila.com may process your data in the manner described by our Privacy Policy. Does it keep its rigidity? Does it look like rust or like brick? He likes these for plaster because once the toggle gets behind the lath, its far more secure than a single screw. Fit the item to be anchored over the bolt, then insert the toggle and tighten. Toggle Bolts Are the Heavy-Duty Choice The most secure way to drive a screw into drywall or plaster is to locate a wall stud using a stud finder or the old-fashioned tap-tap method and drive the screw into that. Cheap electronic stud finders are garbage, especially on older walls. Where I thought I found a wood stud I drilled with a normal size bit but couldn't get in it. Press J to jump to the feed. spring toggle bolt and 2 pcs. Not only are the walls non-flat, but many conventional drywall anchors simply don't work. Pinch the toggle closed with your thumb and forefinger. Compare; Find My Store. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Flat-tip molly bolts work well on plaster walls. Especially in the case of plaster and lathe. You can get your daily dose here, by listening to—or reading—Bob’s 60-second home improvement radio tip of the day. So I ended up going with the toggle bolts. Bob Vila, 8 Pest-Control Myths You Shouldn’t Believe, 11 Things to Know Before Visiting the Lumber Yard, The 10 Commandments of Buying the Right Tools, Editors' Picks: 10 Favorite Sofas Under $1,000, A Flipper’s Top 10 Tips for Increasing Home Value. Especially in the case of plaster and lathe. Also, I should note, the next stud I found was 14" to the left, not the standard 16". The hammer and drill combined are roughly the same weight of the tv. The main difference is in the anchors used to attach the blind mounting hardware to the wall. x 3 in. The mount itself is only 4 lbs. Slip your fastener onto the toggle bolt. Be sure to use ones that are long enough to get behind the plaster and lath. Holds up to 200-lbs in 3-in drywall and concrete block. Toggle bolts are meant for plasterboard walls, not plaster and lathe walls. Put a small bit into the drill, and drill into the first mark. Hmm, height adjustable eh? Disclosure: BobVila.com participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for publishers to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Grab bars provide extra security in the bathtub for that first slippery step. For these brackets Xan used 1/8th x 2 toggle bolts. I will be installing 4 for the mount, and they will only need to support 25 lbs collectively. Molly bolts can be removed from the wall and re-used, unlike toggle bolts. I bought the snap toggle bolt and it looks like it needs quite a bit of space behind the plaster wall to extend horizontally before securing vertically behind the wall. I am trying to put mine on an external wall, so I truly believe that it’s just brick on the other side. The largest molly bolts can hold up to 50 pounds. Not foolproof, but it's a start. How to Install a Grab Bar. When installing into ceramic wall tile, plaster or marble, use the Apache200 drill technology for quick, precise holes (3/4 in. To install: Bore a hole in the wall large enough to accommodate the toggle. Went to the right of that and found it. I'm trying to mount a 43" 17 lb TV to plaster. Thread the bolt into the center of the toggle with the wings of the toggle pointing toward the head of the bolt. Make sure to push the bolt head all the way through the drywall before you release the wings. The old interior walls inside this place my in-laws were renting a while back appeared to have some sort of "siding". To install, insert the bolt through your fixture and thread the toggle onto it. TOGGLER toggle bolts pre-install without a bolt and can be installed with a screw gun.This allows one-person installations (instead of two), saving time and money. Use this to stick in the holes you already drilled and see whats going on behind the wall. The drill bit must have a size slightly larger than the butterfly wings when closed on the toggle bolt. Probably the best type of anchor to use is a toggle bolt; they’re the ones with the threaded “butterfly” that’s spring-loaded. 4 ***When drilling into horsehair plaster walls, first drill a small pilot hole with the regular drill bit to help prevent the plaster from cracking. What You Need. Especially if you can find nail holes nicely spaced at 16". You drill a hole in the wall and insert the bolt … Not sure what to do. truss-head slotted/Phillips machine screws But, we use them for almost everything we hang. Pretty sturdy so far. for pricing and availability. I've never seen anything like that before. True. Metal toggle bolts can support heavy loads in drywall, plaster and hollow-core concrete block. If you do not have a drill: Drive a nail through the wall. I've drilled several finder holes to find studs where I thought they should be (running up an outlet, spaced 16" apart). They are especially useful for anything heavy. Then pull the wings of your toggle bolt to the bolt body and push the entire piece through the hole. It should be able to detect the small nails holding the lathe to the studs, and give you a good idea of where to poke a hole.