","position":4,"name":"Quickly spoon the caramel over the pecan clusters,...","url":"https:\/\/www.creationsbykara.com\/caramel-pecan-turtle-candy\/#mv_create_28_4"},{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Melt the chocolate chips and oil in the microwave at half power, stirring often till smooth. Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Happy fall. 1 cup brown sugar Thank you for sharing. Anyone try this? Very good. Place chocolate candy melts (or whichever chocolate you choose) in a microwave-safe bowl and melts in the microwave per the directions on the package. . A simple homemade caramel makes this recipe the best! Print. How to Keep Caramel Soft When Making Turtles. If you don’t have them, you can use waxed or parchment paper sprayed with non-stick spray. Spoon chocolate on top of each layer of caramel. For caramel, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, corn syrup and sugars. If any lumps remain, put the bowl back in the microwave … I tried these last night and they are wonderful! Margarine has a higher water content, so it doesn’t work in candy recipes. Thank you for posting this recipe! Place 3 pecan halves in a Y shape on the foil. Only complaint is they stuck to the paper like crazy!! If you make 40 clusters, each cluster has about 187 calories. Worked perfect! Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Thankyou Mabel. Refrigerate. Then it's done.Quickly spoon the caramel over the pecan clusters, making sure caramel is touching each of the pecans. Turtle Candy I am a self-taught candy maker through trial and error. Step 1. It won’t taste quite the same, but you can use caramel squares. Mix cake mix, 1/3 cup ... 350 degrees. As a blogger, I would never steal photos from another blogger, and I do my best to give credit when I am inspired by another post. Prep Time Let sit to harden. Making turtle candy with pecans and caramel … Place pecan halves in groups of three on a greased baking sheet. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything. Then it's done. Filed Under: Dessert: Candy, Recipe Index Tagged With: chocolate chips, corn syrup, pecans, sweetened condensed milk. As the caramels warm, stir them occasionally. If the caramel seems too runny at first, you can definitely just let it cool for a few minutes. Wow, Lauren. Place 3 pecan halves in a Y shape on the foil. Turtle Candy Storage. Then it's done. You just needed to cook it a little longer. Before the chocolate hardens completely, use … Calories: 187Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g Use the back of your spoon to make a little swirl in the chocolate as you lift it. Chocolate candy with caramel and pecans is frequently called a “turtle.” The pieces of candy are called this because their humped shape and pieces of pecan stick out like legs, making the candy resemble a turtle. 6200 calories in one serving? Cool. Place pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spoon chocolate on top of each layer of caramel. Drop a small spoonful of the hot caramel into a bowl of ice water. Guys, this homemade turtle candy is amazing. Then I cut in circles with a clean used metal tomato paste can (both ends removed). Store in an airtight container. Be patient, it can take awhile. Keep an eye on them at 5 minutes. These treats make perfect neighbor gifts for the holidays! You start by toasting your pecans. In that way, you will be able to … Planning to make some more this weekend. Step 2. Do more research before going off. I do let it sit a bit then spoon but it still spreads more than I expect. You will need to add milk or cream when you melt them so that the caramel will not set up so hard. This honestly couldn't be easier. Advice? I don’t have time to make caramel what do I do? This is a great recipe. I can't wait to make them again. Can you just melt caramel squares or do youhave to make it. Thanks so much for this recipe. Bring to a boil over medium heat. I really hope that you enjoy this method. My caramel always seem a bit too wet if I were to do it immediately. Add ... teaspoon on buttered cookie … Turtles have always been one of my favorite candies. This recipe is THE BOMB in my house. ","position":5,"name":"Melt the chocolate chips and oil in the...","url":"https:\/\/www.creationsbykara.com\/caramel-pecan-turtle-candy\/#mv_create_28_5"}],"nutrition":{"@type":"NutritionInformation","calories":"187 calories","carbohydrateContent":"21 grams carbohydrates","cholesterolContent":"11 milligrams cholesterol","fatContent":"12 grams fat","fiberContent":"1 grams fiber","proteinContent":"2 grams protein","saturatedFatContent":"4 grams saturated fat","servingSize":"1","sodiumContent":"45 grams sodium","sugarContent":"19 grams sugar","transFatContent":"0 grams trans fat","unsaturatedFatContent":"7 grams unsaturated fat"},"aggregateRating":{"@type":"AggregateRating","ratingValue":"4.4","reviewCount":51},"url":"https:\/\/www.creationsbykara.com\/caramel-pecan-turtle-candy\/"} Let cool. This recipe along with the photos are just ripped off from this site: lilluna.com/chocolate-caramel-pecan-turtles/. Yield: 40 I like to use the ice water test, it's more accurate. 🙂, Unless you just picked your pecans up from your front yard, like I do, I would not leave store bought pecans in for 10 minutes. I love your recipe and method. Chill for 10 minutes or until set. You can use soft store-bought caramels. You can see how thick it is and cook longer if needed. Cover cookies sheet with aluminum foil, shiny side exposed. No matter which form of caramel you are using, they both can be melted in the microwave, in a melting pot, on a stove top in a heavy pan (so the caramel doesn’t burn) or in a double boiler. I am wondering if I used a form of some kind (cup cake liners, cup cake pans for example) and spray them with stick free stuff, would that work? October 18, 2017 by Kara Cook 38 Comments. Let sit for 1-2 hours, or till hardened. Arrange the pecans in clusters of 3-4 on baking sheets lined with silicone baking mats. Thanks. Boil gently to melt ingredients.) If you love turtles, you're going to love my No-Bake Turtle Wafer Cookies! For caramel, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, corn syrup and sugars. Required fields are marked *. Arrange in clusters of 3-4 on silicone liners or parchment paper. Definitely in my Christmas candy line up this year. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir until smooth. Its delicious ????. Simply incredible. Directions On waxed paper-lined baking sheets, arrange pecans in small clusters of four to five pecans each. When you take it out, you should be able to roll it into a ball. I recommend just freezing a few at first to see how they turn out. The caramel was perfect. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave in a heat proof bowl, stirring every 20 seconds until melted and smooth. The candy is amazing. Spray some cooking oil or salted butter on the bottom of the pan. I have never frozen candy before, but you could give it a try. We sure do! Thanks. If the caramels … Dash of salt I’m now not sure where you’re getting your information, however great topic. Arrange in clusters of 3-4 on silicone liners or parchment paper.Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a 6 quart pot. Use a large skewer or a spoon to dip caramel clusters in chocolate and place them on the parchment paper to set up. Mine weren’t totally set up for a couple of hours. Step 4. Even after chilling them, mine sorta fell apart when eating them because there was no bottom. Read More…, Copyright © 2020 Creations by Kara on the Foodie Pro Theme. Amount Per Serving: Place 1 caramel candy in the center of each Y. Bake … If you want to post other peoples stuff at least give them credit. Don’t worry about perfection, just work fast. My daughter was quite livid with me when I made a batch to take to work for a cookie exchange. 🙂. Serving Size: 1 Great to eat, but more trouble to make Don’t be intimidated about the candy making process, these turtles are really quite simple to make. I love to include them on Christmas candy … Cook … Sprinkle coconut flakes on top of the chocolate for a tropical flavor. This was great…and as usual, taste great also. It typically sets up nicely though. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. Homemade Turtle Candy . My Favorite Gray Paint – Sherwin Williams Repose Gray! Unfortunately the 3 bags of Ghirardhelli wafers that I bought for this project, and … You just need to melt them in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between them. Arrange in clusters of 3-4 on silicone liners or parchment paper. This is the PERFECT 4-ingredient recipe … Remove from the heat. Will butter the paper this time per my mom's advice and we'll see how it goes! These bite-size cookies are entirely no-bake and super easy to make, with buttery caramel, rich milk chocolate and … I don’t know why I never thought to make a homemade version before now. They taste as good as Turtle Candy that took hours to make! Water boils at 212 degrees. I follow you all the time and love your down home recipes. I share recipes, DIY tutorials, craft projects, and thrifty home decor. Fill the bottom pot of a double boiler with water. Melted caramel sauce provides the traditional coating for candy … Any substitute for sweetened condensed milk? Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange pecans in a single layer. It always makes me happy to know that people are actually trying my recipes. They are too dry and will burn. Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes or till lightly browned and fragrant. These turtles are a favorite of friends and family.—Carole Wiese, New Berlin, Wisconsin. Lightly grease foil with vegetable oil spray. The recipe tastes great. IMO, freezing did not affect the taste. Heat shortening and chocolate chips over … Now you can go ahead and dive right in. Just don’t wait too long, you don’t want it to set up in the pan! (put toasted pecans in them, and build from there). Hi Kara, we really enjoy your turtle recipe. That’s why I prefer the ice water test instead of a candy thermometer. For more treats perfect for the holidays, check these out: {"@context":"http:\/\/schema.org","@type":"Recipe","name":"Turtle Candy","author":{"@type":"Person","name":"Kara"},"datePublished":"2018-10-03","recipeYield":3,"description":"Homemade Turtles Candy recipe - Baked pecans covered in a delicious homemade caramel and topped with with melted chocolate! ","position":3,"name":"Continue cooking and stirring till mixture reaches 235-240...","url":"https:\/\/www.creationsbykara.com\/caramel-pecan-turtle-candy\/#mv_create_28_3"},{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Quickly spoon the caramel over the pecan clusters, making sure caramel is touching each of the pecans. In a double boiler or microwave, melt caramels and milk. Do you have any points for novice blog writers? Print The scraps can be formed into rounds and coated in chocolate These are for the cook. Suggestions? Here’s Why We Love Vintage Needlework Christmas Stockings, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk, 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, chopped. I made these yummy delights for the holidays last year and was really pleased. These treats make perfect neighbor gifts for the holidays! I make these candies by toasting a tray of pecans, spread out in a solid layer, then making carmel and drizzling over the top of the nuts. Maybe that’s the amount of calories in the entire batch. 🙂. The crunchy pecans, the chewy caramel, the melt in your mouth chocolate. They make fabulous gifting and holiday candy. Question, your recipe says to immediately spoon the caramel over the pecans. That’s a great tip for speeding up the process! That’s what makes them so great! If you don’t dare make the homemade caramel, or are in a time crunch, melt your caramels with a little cream to soften them up. Kara likely never even made these and is answering quesitons about making, etc…, Actually Lauren, if you read to the bottom of the post at Lil’ Luna, you will see that I am actually a contributor to her site, and this is my recipe and my photos that I posted there originally. Melt Chocolate. The caramel in these is decadent, incredibly rich & smooth, & so EASY to make. or until caramels are completely melted, stirring after each minute. If desired, after caramel is stiffened some, wearing gloves greased with butter, shape caramel … Instructions You can wait for the caramel to set up, or just add the chocolate now. Opinions? Turtles are chocolate candies with caramel and pecans. I made these last night! I have a harder time getting great results with just a thermometer for caramel. Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. I hope that I can inspire you to create something! Using a Slow Cooker Set a heat-safe bowl into a slow cooker. The hardest part about homemade turtle candy is waiting for the chocolate to set up. Bring to a boil over medium heat. I follow the ice water and temp method but it always seems to wet to spoon right away. Use other crushed nuts on top to decorate, either with a pattern or simply crushed on top. Kristyn is one of my dear friends, and she knows that after sharing my recipes on her site, I will share them on my own a few months later. Place pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Unwrap the KRAFT Caramels by gently squeezing the sides of the caramels and then peeling off the wrappers. I used this recipe during the holidays and froze some. Spoon melted caramel over pecans (1 scant tablespoon over each cluster). 1/2 tsp vanilla … 3 cups whole pecans I like to use the ice water test, it's more accurate. 5 minutes 6. You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave, cooking for 1 minute and stirring until smooth. You can tell they are set up when the chocolate loses its shiny luster. Shoul read 3 or 4 years worth of Christmas boxes, I have made this candy for three or four Christmas gift boxes. So much better than store-bought turtles! 1/2 cup corn syrup Ingredients But if you hear about a “turtle” dessert, you can bet it probably … Storing and Freezing Chocolate Turtles: Let cool. The nutrition facts that are posted on lil lunas page can not be correct. Place 3 pecan halves in a Y shape on the foil. Can the turtles be frozen? Continue cooking and stirring till mixture reaches 235-240 degrees. Mmmmm. Thanks so much for the kind words Sylvia! ","position":1,"name":"Place pecans in a single layer on a...","url":"https:\/\/www.creationsbykara.com\/caramel-pecan-turtle-candy\/#mv_create_28_1"},{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a 6 quart pot. 😉 This post may contain affiliate links, which gives me a small percentage of the sale, at no cost to you. Be sure to unwrap all of the caramels before melting. Place 1 tbsp melted candy melt into one half of a … Recipes sound delicious. ». I updated the recipe with the nutrition information. Category: Dessert: Candy Mine must have been pretty fresh because they took 10 minutes, but it’s a great idea to start checking them at 5 minutes. My kids do the same thing when I send treats to work with my husband. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Toasting makes a huge difference in the flavor of the finished product, so don’t skip this step. I shared with co-workers and they enjoyed them. I will be making them again for Christmas gifts this year. The taste was incredibly good. Just place your pecans on a cookie sheet and bake at 350° for about 10 minutes. Melt the caramels in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water on the stove. Notes In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. If it is boiling and your thermometer registers only 206, then you can check your candy in cold water when it is 6 degrees under the stated temperature in the recipe. Take the bowl out of the microwave and stir the caramels. Just melt the chocolate and oil in a small glass bowl in the microwave at half power, stirring often. When ... Bake an additional 18 and let set before cutting into squares. And I agree about checking the texture in water, I definitely prefer that method to using a candy thermometer. I think if you buttered some mini muffin pans, it would work just fine. Drop a small spoonful of the hot caramel into a bowl of ice water. 😀. Yield: 3-4 dozen clusters Spoon chocolate on top of each layer of caramel. Melt the chocolate chips and oil in the microwave at half power, stirring often till smooth. Do you know what it really is? Using a double boiler (or a glass bowl set over a saucepan - method: fill saucepan about a 1/4 full of water, set bowl on top. turtle candy Variations and substitutions. Thanks for the tip! When you take it out, you should be able to roll it into a ball. I wish I could attach pictures I took, but can’t do it here. 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk (half of a 14oz can) There’s nothing worse than burning an entire pan of nuts! Then spoon a small amount of chocolate on top of each turtle. The bowl needs to be small enough so … Homemade Turtles (Caramel, Pecan, and Chocolate Clusters) Course Candy, Dessert Cuisine Gourmet Servings 24 turtles… Your email address will not be published. Bake at 350\u00b0 for about 10 minutes or till lightly browned and fragrant. Let sit for 1-2 hours, or till hardened. It is the most requested of all the candies that I make. Looks so so good! Spoon over caramel. Melt the caramels and Cool-Whip. I used the following ingredients for this awesome treat: Lightly roasted pecan halves, store-bought caramels, and dark chocolate melting … Place 1 caramel candy in the center of each Y. Bake just until caramel … Working quickly, spoon caramel onto pecan clusters. Thanks so much for sharing the tip, I’ve had several readers ask about using caramels. Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.Continue cooking and stirring till mixture reaches 235-240 degrees. Let sit for 1-2 hours, or till hardened. The caramels come individually wrapped in the package, so you can use as many squares as you need while leaving the rest wrapped for later use. I’m Kara, and I love to create! Ingredients for Easy 3-Ingredient Turtles Candy. I also check my thermometer in boiling water before making candy. I just would like to know how to make a bottom for the turtles so that the caramel and nuts are enclosed. 1/2 cup butter Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Good luck! Step 3. They are more of a pixie. Caramel squares melt quickly for use as a dip or topping. Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes or till lightly browned and fragrant. Melt caramels with 1/3 cup milk. Homemade Turtles Candy recipe - Baked pecans covered in a delicious homemade caramel and topped with with melted chocolate! I use salted butter, but unsalted would work as well. Let stand until set. Hi. Way better than any store bought turtles I’ve ever tried! Homemade turtle candy recipe with just 5 ingredients & perfect for holiday dessert trays! ","position":2,"name":"Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt...","url":"https:\/\/www.creationsbykara.com\/caramel-pecan-turtle-candy\/#mv_create_28_2"},{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Continue cooking and stirring till mixture reaches 235-240 degrees. You’ll find this candy in many different forms…even cakes and pies! Don’t however be fooled by their simplicity. That’s why, it is always good to check the texture in cold water. This turtle recipe is perfect for holiday gift giving, but seriously, homemade turtle candy with pecans and caramel is going to be well received any time of year! Thanks for the great recipe but not so much for the family strife! I made these, and had a difficult time keeping the clusters together in a uniform size. Drop a small spoonful of the hot caramel into a bowl of ice water. Dip clusters in chocolate. But I can’t see any issues with using a muffin tin to make them more uniform. Would love any hidden tips or tricks. 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk (half of a 14oz can), 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate chips). Let sit to harden.Melt the chocolate chips and oil in the microwave at half power, stirring often till smooth. They demolded very well, and fit perfectly, for gifting, in the mini muffin papers. At least in the recipes I’ve tried. Nutrition Information: Any tips I should know to make this part go better? Quickly spoon the caramel over the pecan clusters, making sure caramel is touching each of the pecans. Haha, that’s crazy. Stir in butter and vanilla. You are so welcome Sharon! -Recipe inspired by Jamie Cooks It Up! Melt … These treats make perfect neighbor gifts for the holidays! Microwave caramels and milk in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2-1/2 to 3 min. Absolutely the best turtles I have ever tasted. As soon as your caramel is ready, immediately spoon the hot caramel on top of the clusters, making sure each pecan is covered with some caramel. I’d genuinely appreciate it. Homemade Turtle Candies are a sweet, chewy, and crunchy dessert, make with pecan clusters coated in caramel and drizzled with melted chocolate. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us! Stir … Then spoon a small amount of chocolate on top of each turtle. Thanks for magnificent info I used to be looking for this information for my mission.