and we did have our sheep for some time. They came down to take away the dog and is now in a pound and they are sueing me for damages. Hardly a month goes by that someone on one of Mom’s sheep and goat listserv groups doesn’t report injuries or deaths caused by dog attacks. has anyone had any experience with bobcats taking down thier adult sheep? I have a collie which i have nursed back to health becouse it was abandoned. Dog attacks like these are not isolated incidents. Of the spaniels I have owned, about half showed an inclination as puppies to chase sheep, while the others weren’t interested. My dog was at the property, but I do not believe he attacked the sheep and that he has wqondered into the property after the fact, he was 15mths old at the time still quite young, we live in semi-rural area surrounded by livestock horses chooks ducks etc. The National Agricultural Statistics Service says that 22.7 percent of the 247,200 sheep killed … It’s a common myth among dog owners that their dog would not chase and kill sheep. Labs aren’t “traditional” herding dogs, but they usually don’t have a very strong prey drive like hounds or guard dogs can. § 44-17-403). I decided to follow the old-fashioned advice of introducing her At one year old, your dog is definitely old enough to learn how to be around livestock. we have never had any animals killed here, and we have horses, and all sorts of poultry, cats, dogs etc. Does it lead a secret life? What You Can Do About It; Where does your dog go when you're not looking? Because if its a farmer and he finds out he can, legally shoot your dog if he sees it in the field with the sheep, especially now a lamb has been killed. I have 2 small children which the dog is very good with. Livestock attacks happen more frequently than reported. Staying legal in England and Wales Here is a summary of the key points of legislation affecting dogs around sheep in England and Wales, to help you feel confident that you and your pet are staying within the law when in farming areas. In Tennessee, pet owners may recover non-economic damages (up to $5,000 in 2017) as compensation for the loss of “companionship, love and affection” in certain cases when their pets have been killed intentionally (and illegally) or through negligence (Tenn. Code Ann. i was never sure of thier breed but they were biiig boys, one in particular. Ensure you are a responsible dog owner and encourage others to abide by the rules.. Pet dogs can attack and kill sheep – remember this includes your own pet dog no matter how docile!. Following the old-fashioned advice. However, it is essential to distinguish between a throat-tearing fatal attack and the “guiding nip” that working dogs use to turn animals they are herding. If your dog should get loose again, your neighbor/livestock owner may have an easier time deterring your dog from attacking livestock or stopping more attacks. Dogs have been bred for centuries to hunt and guard livestock, so if they pull down and kill sheep, goats, cattle, pigs, or horses, you have out-of-character behavior. However, the breeds of dogs shot for sheep worrying include everything from Huskies to Jack Russell Terriers. My first springer displayed every sign of being an enthusiastic sheep chaser and, as I then lived in an area with many flocks, it was vital that I did something about it. Family dogs do terrorize sheep. I bring the dog for walks every day, the other week the dog was accussed of killing 48 sheep in an hour i can take account for the dog for the entire day. An Australian study of 1,400 dogs that attacked livestock found most dog owners, when approached by authorities, refused to believe their dog could have killed or injured any sheep. *Keep in mind that under most laws a livestock owner has the right to use lethal force and … Under the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953, if a dog worries sheep on agricultural land, the person in charge of the dog is guilty of an offence. I would be making sure that your dog does not go ANYWHERE near sheep and if there are lambs or the sheep … i am in NC and recently lost my two rams. Lawmakers in a few states have begun to recognize this fact.