Peavey Wolfgang EVH Special EXP MiK 2002-2004 A neck is smooth and fast, drop d thing attached to the trem functions correctly when set up - which. However, since EVH went away from Peavey, this model is not produced anymore, and the Wolfgangs remaining in good condition have become much sought after collector's items. I am going to review this comparing it to the US Wolfgang Standard... really the US Wolfgang Special is more similar but it hasn't got the maple cap (and I don't have one - YET! The EVH stands for "Edward Van Halen" while Wolfgang is the name of Edward Van Halen's son (born in 1991). The pickups on the US-made guitars were manufactured by Peavey and, due to the fact that they used different enamel wire types, the neck pickup actually had a higher impedance than the bridge one (approximately 16.22 kΩ on the neck and 13.87 kΩ on the bridge one), which is uncommon. The flame top models often still go … Late-run USA Wolfgangs had serial numbers that started with "50" or "51". Maybe the first 50 or so. This guitar was built by the most skilled craftsmen and made from the finest materials available. The neck is a nice shape, not identical to the standard but still nice, its subtley fatter but not a great deal. So here you go. Compared to the Standard my EX sound a bit beefier but not as warm. Guitars Wolfgang® USA Made in the USA in 1998. Prior to working with Peavey, Van Halen had worked with and endorsed Charvel, Kramer and Ernie Ball Music Man. Re: Wolfang Std USA vs Wolfgang Special USA vs Wolfgang Special Korean other than different woods I dont really understand what you pay for with the more expensive US models. Van Halen's infamous Frankenstein (a.k.a. Damn! Two base versions were offered: a solid basswood model and a solid basswood/maple cap model. Though Peavey Wolfgang owners have often sought to find a corroboration in the serial numbers of their guitars and the year in which each was built (similar to the system Gibson uses), there was no such information contained in the serial numbers. As with all of our musical equipment, we have built our guitars using a combination of leading-edge technology and traditional handcrafted methods. There are a few prototype colours on serial production guitars, with as low as 1 guitar with a certain colour, experiments that Peavey made while in production. However, if price is an issue, I would certainly consider the EVH Special or Peavey Wolfgang Standard (solid colours except goldtop) or Standard Deluxe (flamed top and goldtop finishes.) In 2007, under the supervision of master-builder Chip Ellis, a single run of 300 official replicas of his original Frankenstein guitar were made available by Fender under the EVH brand, in strict collaboration with Edward Van Halen. i think that there are better deals from other … The sound is slightly different but its only becuase of the weight of the guitar, I haven't heard the Special but I'd imagine it would be similar. He also used a custom-assembled strat-like guitar with a PAF humbucker (taken from a Gibson ES-335) mounted directly to the guitar's body. It featured an arched (carved) top, body binding, two knobs (volume and tone), three-way pickup toggle switch, two Peavey/EVH-designed humbucker pickups, oil-finished bird's eye maple neck and fingerboard with dual graphite reinforcement rods, ten-degree tilt headstock, and Schaller mini M6 tuners (with either pearloid or ivory colored buttons). i got a evh wolfgang off ebay for $400. The Wolfgang was in production from 1996 until 2004, when Eddie split. "[3] The Ernie Ball model, however, used a 1/8" figured maple cap, which is itself less likely to change the overall effect of the tonewood. I don't knock Korean guitars like some people do, they can turn out some really nice pieces when they want to. Peavey Wolfgangs had maple caps ranging from 1/4" to 5/8". [2] Production of the Wolfgang guitar (along with other Peavey models) occurred in a dedicated Leakesville, MS plant but was moved to Meridian, MS in early 2003. But if the Wolfgang was tangibly more expensive or in poorer condition, I would be perfectly happy with the Peavey version - fantastic guitars! I have the possibility to purchase a EVH Wolfgang. Thank you for buying a Peavey® HP™ special guitar. Some guitars where the only upgrade is a rosewood fretboard is technically called a Custom Shop, but most really are not. Detonator JX (made in USA) EVH Wolfgang Series (1996–2004) EVH Wolfgang; EVH Wolfgang Special; Falcon Series Falcon (made in USA 1986-1988) Falcon Active (made in USA 1988-1989) Falcon Classic (made in USA 1988-1990) Falcon Custom (Kahler tremolo - made in USA 1986-1988) Falcon Custom (Power Bend II tremolo - made in USA … Fast & Free shipping on many items! I run a Peavey Vypyr 75 1x12 combo amp and just plugging the Wolfgang with on a crunch tone with no external effects, captures much of the early Van Halen tone with ease. Bridge options were a stop tail bridge or a Floyd Rose Tremolo system in chrome (standard), gold or black. $93.65 shipping. An amplifier series - the EVH 5150 III - and several instrument accessories and merchandise soon followed, all under the EVH brand. hey guys. I play punk, metal and rock and this guitar is suited to all. PEAVEY blew music man out of the water!!!! 6 colors . A very few prototype models had serial numbers that started with "1". In July 2017, during the Summer NAMM Show[7] in Nashville, Peavey announced the release of the HP2[8] model, an instrument which has exactly the same appearance and specifications as the discontinued Wolfgang, with minor differences such as the inclusion of a push/pull switch in the Tone knob (for a split-coil connection), the removal of the EVH Wolfgang inscription as well as the D-Tuna device, and the announcement of left-handed models as soon as production begins; the company also hinted at Special and Custom Shop models. The body wood options were basswood (standard), alder, ash, mahogany, and even koa or korina which weren't standard options. Great deals on Peavey Wolfgang. And some of you all wanted to hear how I thought it held up to a Wolfgang. Peavey Wolfgang EVH USA Special … Pend." Interestingly, Eddie had been endorsed by Peavey for 3 years before they … On the EXP models, a low-budget version built in Korea was installed, more similar to a Schaller unit. The Grover tuners are great and keep this thing in tune really well. Approximately 285 Custom Shop guitars were produced in Leakesville, of which 92 of these were made to fill specific orders while the rest were built for the "Wolfgang Vault". The hp special … Solid basswood Wolfgangs were offered in gloss ivory and gloss black; solid basswood/maple cap Wolfgangs were offered in various transparent figured maple finishes (sunburst, amber, red, purple, blue, green, cherryburst, and black cherryburst) as well as vintage gold and seafoam green. For the top you could select flame maple (standard), quilted maple, koa or none (solid body construction). EVH Wolfgang Special: 91021725: sunburst: 11-17-2020: Used: View Settings. It was run by four highly talented craftsman, each with a different area of specialty. Road-tested in arenas around the world, the Wolfgang® Special is a purebred music-making machine, designed with stunning style, giant sound and high-speed playability. Thank you for buying a Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special guitar. The body doesn't have the archtop which when played sitting down isn't the most comfortable, it is also a lot heavier. The original gold had a warmer, more Gibson bronze cast compared to the following production gold guitars.". If it is a Standard (carved top) then it is a USA model. The vibrato unit was made by Ping to the specifications given by Peavey (string spacing: 10.8mm, string spread: 54mm or 2 7/8", stud spacing: 74mm or 2 15/16", post insert size: 8mm, radius 355mm or 14", brass block depth: 33mm). Wolfgang® USA Edward Van Halen Signature. Detonator JX (made in USA) EVH Wolfgang Series (1996–2004) EVH Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Special Falcon Series Falcon (made in USA 1986-1988) Falcon Active (made in USA 1988-1989) Falcon Classic (made in USA 1988-1990) Falcon Custom (Kahler tremolo - made in USA 1986-1988) Falcon Custom (Power Bend II tremolo - made in USA … A basswood-only option was added, and a flat-topped, single-knob Wolfgang Special appeared in 1998. If you can save up and get a US made Special it will hold its price better than the Korean EX but if you honestly can't afford a Special then I'd get this. I've played and examined both the EVH Wolfgang and the Wolfgang Special and there is not much noticeable difference. The Special models came with the birdseye (not hard rock) maple neck, which was an upgrade from a production special. Again the Peavey Floyd Rose Trem is great, this one differs as its cast but it is still a solid feeling trem. Made in the USA. I bought a Peavey HP Special EX, (The new Wolfgang after EVH left). Like the USA Wolfgang Special it featured a flat top, one knob (volume), three-way pickup toggle switch, Peavey/EVH-designed humbucker pickups like USA models, licensed Floyd Rose tremolo with D-Tuna (d-tuner device), hard rock maple neck and fingerboard, straight headstock, and Grover mini tuners (a feature unique to this model). Very occasionally a rejected maple top was painted gloss black. I rebodied a Peavey version for a friend a couple of years back. The Custom Shop launched with a contest held via Van Halen's official website. Its brighter than my Gibsons, probably due to the pickups and wood combination but it sounds beefier than the 490 pickups in my SGs. The guitar features the familiar Wolfgang style body shape, although in this version comes with a flat top. Really great tone for blues and rock. The Wolfgang Special EXP had a 1/20" quilt maple veneer top and came in four transparent colors: amber, maroon, blue, and sunburst. Scott USA Peavey Specials are mega bang-for-the-buck right now. -. It contained no markings to differentiate it from USA models, but there were several deviations. In his last times with Peavey, Edward Van Halen began working with Charvel to produce replicas of three of his striped guitar models, the Charvel EVH Art Series, in black and white, yellow and black, and also the most common red, white, and black color scheme. After the 2007-08 Tour, and once again under the supervision of Chip Ellis, the evolution of the Wolfgang within the Fender group became available to the public, with the EVH Wolfgang® (in 2008) and the EVH Wolfgang® Special (in 2010), both sporting the "bottle opener" shape[6], which is owned by Edward Van Halen, unlike the old Peavey headstock. First off i want to say that I have never played a standard wolfgang or an export wolfgang. Very occasionally a rejected maple top was painted either gloss black or gloss ivory. OLP MM1 vs Wolfgang Special. We really had to step up our quality at Peavey to make … I used to work at the Leeksville plant … Two solid finishes which had maple tops (seafoam green and solid gold) on the Standard models gained some preference due to their exquisite looks. EVH Wolfgang Special - The first guitar up for 'the treatment' was the Japanese-built Wolfgang Special. Cheers, Dave The Wolfgang, after years of trial and error, (for me) is that guitar. Peavey had an area at their website for people to "build" (and order) their own Custom Shop guitars. 's generic flat top. In some sense, the Peavey EVH Wolfgang guitar picked up where the Ernie Ball Music Man EVH model left off, with the prototype design being made by Jim DeCola (an amber quilted top model which still didn't have the Wolfgang headstock shape, but rather a Peavey classic one). 2nd; I like the gibson style 1-11/16" wide nut vs. MM's fender style 1-5/8" narrow nut width. Two custom models of the Peavey EVH Wolfgang. The Peavey EVH Wolfgang guitar series is the result of the collaboration between guitarist Edward Van Halen and Hartley Peavey's company, Peavey Electronics. (The maple cap was 1/4".) If you want to hear what it sounds like, check the below link out, its being played on the main riff. EVH Wolfgang USA Custom The Peavey EVH Wolfgang Custom Shop operated from January 2002 to December 2004. Like the Standard it only goes down, so no pull-ups a la Dimebag. Some aspects of the Wolfgang Special EXP were different to its USA counterparts: the neck had no graphite reinforcement rods and was finished with a satin poly. Description of what's being reviewed: Peavey Wolfgang EX (Korean Made)(The one on the left), Basswood body with thin quilted maple top, rock Maple neck, grover tuners, Peavey Floyd Rose double locking Tremolo, two custom wound humbuckers, 1 volume control, one toggle switch. It immediately set a standard for guitarists all over the world. Hi there. So in a nutshell, if you can't afford a Standard or Special then get this as its the next best thing. Price: Bought for £260 delievered (Korean). In Jim DeCola's words: "The first batch of gold guitars had a different shade of gold than most others as the paint vendor changed. During the Van Halen 2004 Tour, the guitarist played a different custom striped Charvel Art Series in a few songs of each concert, later autographing and auctioning them on eBay. There was also no code specific to Custom Shop models. If I had the choice between the two in the same condition at the same price, I'd go for the Wolfgang Special. In fact, this was just 2 and a 1/2 months ago. The new HP Special CT USA, named for Peavey’s founder and owner, Hartley Peavey, is just that.It has the same timeworn feel and playability we’ve come to expect from the Wolfgang, but in every other respect it exceeds its predecessor, thanks to many of Peavey’s own logical design elements and tone … So I modded the stock EVH Floyd Rose (FR 1000 equivalent) with German black saddles, stainless steel screws, titanium block inserts, a chrome D-tuna, and a real German chrome … When pushed, this guitar sings and screams. Edward Van Halen's signature and the headstock patent number were both branded just below the serial number. Its got the same pickups so I suppose the denser body wood gives it a ballsier tone. (The maple cap was 5/8" before carving.) Looks wise, I like the quilted maple top (it also comes in blue as well). The body was made of solid basswood and had a masked "faux" binding. Fast & Free shipping on many items! The body was made of basswood and often had (like its predecessor) a maple cap. These and many more are pictured at his website, Rock'N Roll Weekend). There's no tone control which I actually like and would prefer this config in the Standard that I have. I'm told the later ones aren't as good. Peavey EVH Wolfgang & Wolfgang Special Deluxe (Custom Shop), Specifications details and singularities (pickups, switching, vibrato unit, colours), Work with Fender - the Charvel Art Series and the EVH brand, EVH Brand Guitars, Amps and Musical Products, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Peavey_EVH_Wolfgang&oldid=987941908, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Gloss Black, Gloss Ivory, Vintage Gold, Seafoam Green, Transparent Sunburst, Transparent Amber, Transparent Red, Transparent Purple, Transparent Green, Transparent Blue, Transparent Cherryburst, Transparent Black Cherryburst (plus numerous other colors and graphics offered via the Peavey Custom Shop), Carved maple top (1/4" to 5/8" thick) on selected models (translucent finishes); no top on the Special models, Bolt-on construction with contoured neck heel, no neck plate, Birdseye maple neck and fingerboard, oil-finished, Dual graphite reinforcements and adjustable torsion rod, Straight headstock with 3+3 tuning machine configuration, Precision die-cast tuning machines (based on the Schaller M6L), Two custom-wound Peavey humbucking pickups, Master volume control (500 kΩ, long split shaft, logarithmic), Master tone control (500 kΩ, long split shaft, logarithmic), Switchcraft® 3-way toggle switch and output jack, D-Tuna device (allows instant drop of low E string to D), This page was last edited on 10 November 2020, at 03:58. The newer Wolfgang retains many of exactly the same attributes as its Peavey-built predecessor. The solid color/solid basswood models can be had for $500-$700. You are right AT, it's a decal. The finishing department blamed a mistake on the paint vendor who supplied the gold and consequently changed the supplier after about 50 or so guitars. the "Frankenstrat") guitar laid the groundwork for most of the custom guitars he played throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Neck access to the upper frets, just like the Standard is very good. Mine is every bit as nice of a guitar as my Peavey wolfgang special was 12 years ago. 19 watching. The Wolfgang would be optimal in a rock band or even metal, because the resonance and harmonics the guitar is … Price paid and where it was bought: Bought for £260 delievered - bargain schmargain!!! This Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special was made in the USA and has that unique engraved 91 serial number and burned-in signature. Neck: B… read more Peavey Wolfgang Special, USA Review Clean 02:09 Rhythm 10:40 Solo 14:26 There were about 30 colors to choose from including graphics and a custom graphic option.[5]. AFAIK they all have licensed floyds and the pickups arent anything amazing. The EXP models (made in Korea) had pickups made to these specs, but not made in the US. Our collective efforts in designing the Wolfgang guitar have resulted in a versatile, quality-crafted guitar that feels great, sounds great and is truly inspiring to play. For the fretboard you could select Birdseye (standard), Rosewood or Ebony. Thankful for any informations. Ask your Peavey dealer for … Edward didn't want the production guitars to have rosewood fretboards so the only way they could produce them like this was to call them Custom Shop guitars. ... Peavey Wolfgang Van Halen Model USA Special Stop Tail Rare Model Sunburst 1997. To achieve the legendary "Brown Sound", Edward Van Halen employed a variac to limit the voltage of his Marshall guitar amplifier while still allowing the volume to be at its maximum. Special EXP (Korean Made) - List Price of $899.00 Each version could come with either a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo with D-Tuna (d-tuner device) or a tune-o-matic bridge and hard tail piece. I already discussed what I did with the pickups casually to coworkers. ), but was somewhat of a departure from the collaboration with the guitarist - an H-S-H pickup configuration option, a 5-bolt neck joint, and the headstock shape change, even if the Wolfgang headstock patent remained with Peavey. - This page has been accessed 14,767 times. Another 130 specific customer orders were produced in Meridian after mid-2003 as well as another 70 guitars, many of which are not really true Customs as they were using up remaining materials inventory. Thus, approximately 500 Custom Shop guitars were built from 2002 through 2004, some 220 of them being specific customer orders (Approximately 50 of those were ordered and/or purchased by guitar collector Geoff Knapp. $3,199.39. Still very comfortable, not as quick though as it had a very light matt varnish coat - unlike the standard which is oiled. USA-built Peavey Wolfgangs typically had serial numbers that started with "91" followed by six more digits. Production of the Peavey EVH Wolfgang began in late 1996 (after a year-long development process) and lasted until 2004, when Edward Van Halen and Peavey parted amicably. 3rd; I love the flat "shredder" style fret board radius of 15" (much like old charvels) vs. MM's generic fender style 10" radius. My question: is this US or Korean made? ... Peavey Wolfgang USA Special FM FR Transparent Amber - rosewood fb *exc* axis evh. They are the same specs.". Many Peavey Wolfgang owners have incorrectly adopted the terms "Standard" and "Deluxe" and applied them to their guitars. This instrument boasts many of the features of its bigger USA brother, but at a more affordable price. Me too! Thanks for the input. When scouring eBay (or even large online musical instrument retailers) for EVH Wolfgangs I’ve noticed that a lot of the time, the information about the Wolfgang Special is … They picked my brain a little before I realized they were trying to lure EVH away. It contained no markings to differentiate it from USA models, but there were several deviations. Nothing major but there are noticable which is a shame becuase the build quality is really really good. Tell you what. The guitars were priced at $25,000, having a massive demand upon their arrival to the market. Offered from 2002 to 2004, the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP was a Korean-made version of the Wolfgang. Peavey Wolfgang EVH Special EXP MiK 2002-2004, use . Though common, these terms were never officially used by Peavey. One of the examples of this is a dark gloss oxblood finish with a black binding, now owned by an Austin guitar dealer (bearing the patent number but no serial). Wolfgang® USA Twelve unique Wolfgangs were given away throughout 2002—one every month. I did however own 3 wolfgang special USA's and they are one of my favorite guitars ever. Peavey and Edward Van Halen designed the EVH Wolfgang Series as the pinnacle of modern tone and design - an instantly recognizable modern classic. As with all of our musical equipment, we have built our guitars using a combination of leading-edge technology and traditional handcrafted methods. If you feel confident shelling out the extra coin for the USA EVH, definitely do it as they're awesome. For the inlays they had pearl or black dots (standard), EVH Blocks, Tribal Flames, Skulls or no inlays at all. It's a hell of a lot of guitar for $900 bucks! in place of the patent number. SerialNumber: 02120624 Wolfgang Patent 388, 117 cherry flametop. Peavey included the following endorsement in their advertising: "For as long as I've been playing guitar, I've always been searching for a certain feel and tone...I've experimented by tearing apart and reassembling hundreds of guitars in different ways searching for these qualities. Don't believe the snobs who think everything built in the USA is the best - its not, … Early Wolfgang models (1996–1998) contained the term "Pat. The basic options that anyone could select were; the body wood: top wood; fretboard wood; fretboard inlays; bridge type; hardware color; top color or graphic and matching/standard headstock. . You can experiment with the Neck pickup as its one of the nicest neck pickups I have ever used. Regarding these, Jim DeCola added: "I worked at Fender (Nashville) for 11 years after Peavey (...). Two base versions were offered: a solid basswood model and a solid basswood/maple cap model. EVH Wolfgang USA vs Special If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. The quality is very good, the trem is the best Floyd copy I've used (along with the Schaller Floyd on my Charvel) and its similar to the one used on the Standard. Van Halen had also developed three amplifiers with Peavey, starting in 1991. To sum this up, a lot of people buy the EX becuase they can't afford the Wolfgang Standard or the Special so how do they compare? It's a great time to upgrade your home music studio gear with the largest selection at eBay.com. I run it through my Peavey 5150 and it sounds great. Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP Offered from 2002 to 2004, the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP was a Korean-made version of the Wolfgang. On the Wolfgang site they knock these Korean jobs and claim they aren't really Wolfgangs but the early ones like mine are really good and they aren't far off the Special. The binding isn't really binding, its just the unfinished body wood colour made to look like binding but form a distance you could be fooled.