It is this which makes heavyen so desirable; without this, in the apprehension of a truly good man, no place would be heaven. Intro. Financial Fitness. Compare the notes at Psalm 16:9-11. My words don’t run loose. Compare the notes at 1 John 3:2. I plan on looking you full in the face. (15) I —emphatic. The resemblance doubtless is in the moral character, for the highest hope of a good man is that he may be, and will be, like God. “Walk straight, act right, tell the truth. Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. Summary: This message lifts our mind beyond the coffin and shifts it to the splendor of Heaven. Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my … I shall be satisfied - While they are satisfied with this world, I shall be satisfied only when I awake in the likeness of my God. Nothing can meet the wants of my nature; nothing can satisfy the aspirings of my soul, until that occurs. Some think of rising to peace after a perplexing trouble; others of health after suffering; others of the sunlight of the Divine grace breaking on the soul. "Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited [me] in the night; thou hast tried me, [and] shalt … Psalm 17:15The Message (MSG) 15 And me? cf. Study This. As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness. “Don’t hurt your friend, don’t blame your neighbor; despise the despicable. When I get up,I’ll see your full stature    and live heaven on earth. Study This. Learn More About The Message Psalm 42:2. behold thy face in righteousness; that is, appear before God in public worship, where was the ark, the symbol of the face of God; enjoy his gracious presence, have the discoveries of his love, and see his face and favour; than which nothing was more desirable by him and delightful to him. The word rendered "awake" - קוץ qûts - used only in Hiphil, "means to awake;" to awake from sleep, Psalm 3:5; Psalm 139:18; or from death, 2 Kings 4:31; Jeremiah 51:39; Isaiah 26:19; Job 14:12; Daniel 12:2. 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 Eugene H. Peterson by NavPress Publishing. Glimpses of glory good men have here below to stay their sacred hunger, but the full feast awaits them in the upper skies. (The King James Bible Version Online) 8 Keep me as [] the apple of the eye; Hide me in the shadow of Your wings 9 From the wicked who deal violently with me, My deadly enemies who surround me. In Psalm 139:23-24, David prayed: Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. I am surprised to find that Prof. Alexander favors this view. Copyright © 1993, 2002, 2018 by Eugene H. Peterson, The Message (MSG), The Message Outreach Edition, Large-Print, softcover, The Message // REMIX 2.0, Soft Imitation Leather, Storm Black, The Message Deluxe Gift Bible, Brown/Saddle Tan Leather-Look, Message Slimline Bible--soft leather-look, brown/tan, NIV and The Message Side-by-Side Bible: Two Bible Versions Together for Study and Comparison. Show the world I’m innocent— in your heart you know I am. II. Psalm 17: A Prayer of David. ἐκ ψυχῆς, Ephesians 6:6; Colossians 3:23). For the words may be interpreted, not of David's awaking, but of the glory of God awaking or appearing; which would afford an infinitely greater satisfaction than worldly men have in worldly things (p), to which this is opposed, Psalm 17:10; so the Septuagint and Vulgate Latin versions read, I shall be satisfied when thy glory appears, or is seen; and so the Ethiopic and Arabic versions. To behold God's face and to be changed by that vision into his image, so as to partake in his righteousness, this is my noble ambition; and in the prospect of this I cheerfully waive all my present enjoyments. Psalm 17:15 MSG. This message lifts our mind beyond the coffin and shifts it to the splendor of Heaven. I plan on looking    you full in the face. Even DeWette admits that it refers to the resurrection of the dead, and that the psalm can be interpreted only on the supposition that it has this reference, and hence, he argues that it could not have been composed by David, but that it must have been written in the time of the exile, when that doctrine had obtained currency among the Hebrews. IV. I regard this passage, therefore, as one of the incidental proofs scattered through the Old Testament which show that the sacred writers under that dispensation believed in the doctrine of the resurrection of the dead; that their language was often based on the knowledge and the belief of that doctrine, even when they did not expressly affirm it; and that in times of trouble, and under the consciousness of sin, they sought their highest consolation, as the people of God do now, from the hope and the expectation that the righteous dead will rise again, and that in a world free from trouble, from sin, and from death, they would live forever in the presence of God, and find their supreme happiness in being made wholly like him. Compared with this deep, ineffable, eternal fulness of delight, the joys of the worldling are as a glowworm to the sun, or the drop of a bucket to the ocean. SAVIOR, SAVIOR, HEAR MY HUMBLE CRY TEXT: Psalm 17:1-15 Psalms 17:1-15 (KJV) A Prayer of David. But what does the poet mean by the hope of seeking God when he wakes? / Psalms 17:2: Let my sentence come forth from thy presence This is the highest object before the mind of a truly religious man. I shall be satisfied when Thy glory appears, As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness, Moreover, I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament. But as in Psalms 16, so here, we feel that in spite of his subjection to the common notions about death the psalmist may have felt the stirrings of a better hope. Instead of “likeness,” render image, or appearance. I will behold thy face - I shall see thee. conatus), and form a circle round about him, as ravenous ones, in order to swallow him up. 15 And me? Some have understood this as meaning "when I awake tomorrow;" and they thence infer that this was an evening song (compare Psalm 4:8); others have supposed that it had a more general sense - meaning "whenever I awake;" that is, while men of the world rejoice in their worldly possessions, and while this is the first thought which they have on awaking in the morning, my joy when I awake is in God; in the evidence of his favor and friendship; in the consciousness that I resemble him. And this shall be seen "in righteousness"; the psalmist believing that he should then appear as an innocent person clear of all the false charges brought against him; and so this may be understood of the righteousness of his cause, in which he should stand before God, and enjoy communion with him:, or this may design that perfect holiness and purity of heart, without which no man shall see the Lord; and which, though now imperfect, shall in the other state be without spot or blemish: or rather, the righteousness of Christ, which fits believers for, and in which they are brought into and stand in, the King's presence; I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness; which will be in the resurrection morn: or, as Jarchi expresses it, when the dead shall awake from their sleep; for this is not to be understood of awaking from natural sleep in the morning; when it is a satisfaction to a believer to be with God, and to have God with him, Psalm 139:18; nor of awaking from a sleepy drowsy frame of spirit, which sometimes attends the saints; but of rising from the dead: for as death is oftentimes expressed by sleep in Scripture, so the resurrection by an awaking out of it, Isaiah 26:19; at which time the saints will arise with the image of the heavenly One upon them: they will be like to Christ both in soul and body; in soul, in perfect knowledge and complete holiness: in body, in incorruption and immortality, in power, glory, and spirituality; in this will lie their happiness and satisfaction. When I get up, I’ll see your full stature and live heaven on earth. I. Or God himself may be meant by "his face"; and especially God as he is to be beheld in the face of Christ, the Angel of his presence; and who is to be beheld by faith in the present state of things, though as through a glass, darkly; and in the future state perfectly, and as he is, both with the eyes of the understanding, and, after the resurrection, with the eyes of the body; see Job 19:26; and to this state the psalmist seems more especially to have respect, as Jarchi interprets it: and the beatific vision of God in Christ will be very glorious and exceeding delightful; it will be assimilating and appropriating; it will be free from all darkness and interruption, and will continue for ever. Such “cries from the dark,” even if they do not prove the possession of a belief in immortality, show how the human heart was already groping its way, however blindly, towards it. And me? My satisfaction is to come; I do not look for it as yet. They are eager to destroy him (perf. In the text this morning, the Psalmist contrast the lives of the wicked with that of the righteous. 1 Hear me,(A)Lord, my plea is just; listen to my cry. Psalms chapter 17 KJV (King James Version) 1 (A Prayer of David.) col. 2014. It does not correspond with the deep anxieties which the psalmist expressed as springing from the troubles which surrounded him. NLT 15 Because I am righteous, I will see you. The King James Version is in the public domain. Psalm 17:15 in all English translations. 01.09.2013 Satisfaction - Psalm 17:15 Preamble God looks for people who will stand in the gap, who will pray for others, who will go for him, who will do His will, who will sacrificially give to the ministry, who will do good to the nations and people and people who are satisfied. Hear a just cause, O Lord, Attend to my cry; Give ear to my prayer which is not from deceitful lips. 15 As for me, I will behold Your face in righteousness; when I awake, I … NIV 15 As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness. Psalm 17:15. More of Him, More Like Him (Part 1) Finding True Purpose. In that passage, Moses, in his great song, speaks of the wings of God; but the double figure of the shadow of God's wings (here and in Psalm 36:8; Psalm 57:2; Psalm 63:8) is coined by David. "As for me." 15 As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake,(A)I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness. “You’ll never get blacklisted if you live like this.” Or the meaning is, that he should be satisfied with the likeness of God, with Christ the image of God, when he should arise from the dead; seeing he should then appear with him in glory, see him as he is, and be like him, and be for ever in his presence; which will yield endless pleasure and unspeakable satisfaction. Psalm 42:2. The words of both, taken in combination, open out a series of weighty lessons. Recently, she was exonerated of all charges and released from prison. When I awake, I will see you face to face and be satisfied. Brueggemann, Walter, The Message of the Psalms A Theological Commentary (Minneapolis: Augsburg Press, 1984) She was accused of the murder of her nine month old child, convicted, and sentenced. As for me, I will behold your face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with your likeness. ), found at his right hand (comp. MSG: The Message ... Free Reading Plans and Devotionals related to Psalm 17:15. Psalm 17:15 in all English translations. 17:22. The period to which both David and Asaph look in these two verses is the end of life. This wonderful prayer – to know one’s own heart and hidden motives and sins – is the kind of thing that David prayed before he prayed this psalm. When I awake - This is language which would be employed only by one who believed in the resurrection of the dead, and who was accustomed to speak of death as a "sleep" - a calm repose in the hope of awaking to a new life. He needed some higher, some more enduring and efficient consolation; something which would meet "all" the circumstances of the case; some source of peace, composure, and rest, which was beyond all this; something which would have an existence where there was no trouble or anxiety; and this could be found only in a future world. During the entire agonizing process, she maintained her innocence. Psalms 17:1: Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. Psalm 17:15 I Am Satisfied Sermon leads to be satisifed in life, your money, your sex, your work give temporary satisfaction. Psalm 17:15 New American Standard Bible (NASB) 15 As for me, I shall behold Your face in righteousness; I will be satisfied [ a ] with Your likeness when I awake. "God's wings" are the spreadings out, i.e., the manifestations of His love, taking the creature under the protection of its intimate fellowship, and the "shadow" of these wings is the refreshing rest and security which the fellowship of this love affords to those, who hide themselves beneath it, from the heat of outward or inward conflict. (n) This is the full happiness, comforting against all assaults to have the face of God and favourable countenance opened to us. The interpretation above suggested seems to me to be altogether too low a view to be taken of the sense of the passage. Related Commentaries for Psalm 17. May You fill the bellies of Your treasured ones and satisfy their sons, so they leave their abundance to their children. Psalm 17:15 15 And me? When I get up, I'll see your full stature and live heaven on earth. The New Century Bible Commentary: Psalms 1-72 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1972) Broyles, Craig C., New International Biblical Commentary: Psalms (Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, 1999. But the real satisfaction from God. From Psalm 17:9 we learn more definitely the position in which the psalmist is placed. Psalm 17:15: As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness. Then follows another figure, taken from the eagle, which hides its young under its wings, likewise from Deuteronomy 32, viz., Psalm 17:11, for the figure of the hen (Matthew 23:37) is alien to the Old Testament. But the literal reference to night in Psalm 17:3 seems to ask for the same reference here. It does not meet the state of mind described in the psalm. I plan on looking you full in the face. Heptaglott. Death is the annihilation of the vain show of worldly life. Instead of waking to a worldling’s hope of a day of feasting and pleasure, the psalmist wakes to the higher and nobler thought that God—who in sleep (so like death, when nothing is visible), has been, as it were, absent—is now again, when he sees once more (LXX. Sermons on Psalm 17:15: showing 1-15 of 18 Filter Results Sort By Close Filters Scripture . Castel. (o) And am delivered out of my great troubles. According to the accentuation בּנפשׁ is to be connected with איבי, not with יקּפוּ, and to be understood according to Ezekiel 25:6 : "enemies with the soul" are those whose enmity is not merely superficial, but most deep-seated (cf. Scripture quoted by permission. Lexic. The satisfaction of worldly men is in their wealth and family honours, that of the poet in the sun of God’s presence and the vision of His righteousness. In righteousness - Being myself righteous; being delivered from the power, the pollution, the dominion of sin. also Sir. 324.). When I awake, I will see you face to face and be satisfied. The obvious interpretation of the passage, therefore, so far as its sense can be determined from the connection, is to refer it to the awaking in the morning of the resurrection; and there is nothing in the language itself, or in the known sentiments of the psalmist, to forbid this interpretation. A David Prayer Listen while I build my case, GOD, the most honest prayer you’ll ever hear. Scripture: Psalms 17:15. Psalm 17:15 NIV 15 As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness. I plan on looking you full in the face. With thy likeness - Or, in thy likeness; that is, resembling thee. How do we get on your guest list? … 14 from such men, O LORD, by Your hand—from men of the world whose portion is in this life. end of Psalms 16), a conscious presence to him, assuring him of justice and protection. 7 Show Your wonderful faithfulness, Savior of those who take refuge [] at Your right hand From those who rise up against them. The first of these is that to all men the end of life is an awaking. 6 I have called upon You, for You will answer me, God; Incline Your ear to me, hear my speech. When I get up, I'll see your full stature and live heaven on earth. Denomination: Baptist. "I neither envy nor covet these men's happiness, but partly have and partly hope for a far better." The soul (viz., the hating and eagerly longing soul, Psalm 27:12; Psalm 41:3) is just the same as if בנפשׁ is combined with the verb, viz., the soul of the enemies; and איבי נפשׁי would therefore not be more correct, as Hitzig thinks, than בנפשׁ איבי, but would have a different meaning. I shall sleep awhile, but I shall wake at the sound of the trumpet; wake to everlasting joy, because I arise in thy likeness, O my God and King! He sought repose from those troubles; he looked for consolation when surrounded by bitter and unrelenting enemies. “Keep your word even when it costs you, make an honest living, never take a bribe. John Darby’s Synopsis; The Geneva Study Bible; The second principle contained in our text is that death is to some men the awaking of God. A psalm that can literally be prayed out because it is a cry from the soul in duress to a Lord who is not distant. This refers naturally, as the closing part of the verse more fully shows, to the future world, and is such language as would be employed by those who believe in a future state, and by no others. Psalm 17 / Psalm 17:15 15 Because I am righteous, I will see you. A David Psalm GOD, who gets invited to dinner at your place? (p) Vid. He was oppressed and crushed with these many sorrows. Psalm 17:15 Psalm 73:20. Psalms 17:15 As for me, I will continue beholding Your face in righteousness (rightness, justice, and right standing with You); I shall be fully satisfied, when I awake [to find myself] beholding Your form [and having sweet communion with You]. Go ahead, examine me from inside out, surprise me in the middle of the night— You’ll find I’m just what I say I am. 15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness. Psalm 17:15(NASB) Verse Thoughts How blessed are we who have been saved by grace through faith in Christ and how often we find encouragement, comfort, peace and hope in the Psalms of David, whose words so often reflect the joy we also have in the Lord and bring to our remembrance the many precious promises that are ours in Christ. The bliss of heaven consists mainly, in his apprehension, in the privilege of seeing God his Saviour; and the hope of being permitted to do this is of infinitely more value to him than would be all the wealth of this world. Compare Matthew 5:8; 1 Corinthians 13:12; 1 John 3:2. In the text this morning, the Psalmist contrast the lives of the wicked with that of the righteous.