Sardinian Fregola (Fregula). Finely chop the garlic and thoroughly wash the clams. I love the idea of a toasted pasta similar to a couscous and would enjoy eating this with the clam sauce, as suggested! It would be perfect for a date night! I love fregola with clams, such an easy yet impressive dish. I don’t eat clams nearly enough. But serving it in a relatively soup-like sauce with seafood, especially clams, is a popular Sardinian way to prepare it. •3 garlic cloves, minced. I like the sound of the added shallot and wine. Aresu’s sauce begins with meaty chunks of guanciale crisped in olive oil. There are a few ways to make this, it seems, but I particularly drew on this recipe as I loved the one pot simplicity. I don’t know if it’s just that I’ve become aware of it more recently, but fregola seems to be gaining popularity in restaurants in our area. I'm Caroline and this is where I share recipes inspired by travels, places I want to go, or just ideas from feeding the family. This recipe with clams looks perfect, I need to buy some fregola ASAP! Will have to see what is around Denver. Steaming it as you might its finer cousin will result in a stodgy mass. Many people think of clams as something to eat in a restaurant. Your email address will not be published. These are another type of small clam (striped venus clams in English) which are a popular choice for Italian pasta with clams. From the sauce to the clams and all the flavor in between! We’ve literally just come back from a month in Italy and a week in beautiful Sardinia. Divide the fregola and sauce between bowls, top with the clams and a little parsley. Then add the filtered clam waterand a handful of chopped parsley. I can’t wait to browse their store! This is a medium-size “fregula” or fregola … Nigel Slater’s fregola recipes ... You cook this Sardinian carb in deep, boiling water. I made this fregola with clams recipe with another type of small clam that Italians call lupini or lupini di mare. What a great dinner for the weekend, along with a nice bottle of red wine. Boil the meat stock in a pot and add the Sardinian fregola, letting it cook for 15 minutes. I really like fregola but haven’t had it in a while. I am super hungry right now. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce is completely soaked in oil. It is created of balls of durum wheat semolina and water, rolled by hand and roasted in the oven. We love sharing information about the recipes! Fregola with clams is probably the most well-known Sardinian seafood pasta recipe. Thanks Julia! Let it brown for a couple of minutes, then add the peppers, potatoes, courgettes, aubergines and carrots. Fregola [FREH-goh-lah] is a form of semolina pasta, which is a specialty of the southern parts of Sardinian, Italy. Zuppa gallurese or “zuppa cuata” how someone calls it, is a typical dish of Gallura, … fregola, pasta with clams, Sardinian pasta, traditional Italian pasta recipe. Making fregola at home is on my to do list. https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2020/03/sardinian-herb-soup.html Fusilli Pasta; long, short, homemade and hollow. So you have to part that contains the attached mollusk. Can’t wait to make it – now that have all this knowledge! •Healthy pinch of saffron. https://www.italianrecipebook.com/fregola-sarda-shrimp-light-tomato-sauce Will try this recipe soon. as Italian couscous or Sardinian couscous, fregola is basically little balls of pasta traditionally made by hand in a terracotta bowl, called a ‘scivedda’ in Bring back to the boil, then add the fregola and cook over medium heat for about twenty minutes. New subscribers get a free recipe e-book series too! difference is that couscous is traditionally made from crushed durum wheat, Discover the best regional recipes and enjoy the traditional cuisine in Sardinia: authentic recipes, homemade dishes and easy how-to step by step! It is cooked in a soup or risotto. I’ve never heard of fregola! This dish looks incredible and we know absolutely delicious! You gave me a lovely idea. At the end of this time, rinse them again very well under You definitely made me crave fregolas! •About 2 cups diced tomato (either canned or fresh plum tomatoes) •Pinch of hot red … Cook stirring constantly until … Tuscan Gnudi (ricotta and spinach gnocchi). In US,  littlenecks would work too. So interesting to learn more about what fregola is, and where it comes from. Squeeze roasted garlic out of its skins and transfer garlic and tomatoes to pot with fregola. https://www.the-pasta-project.com, Filed Under: Fregola (fregula), Sardinia, Seafood & Lake Fish Pasta Tagged With: clams, Fregola, Sardinia, seafood, I forgot to mention under Where to buy fregola, The Fresh Market has now started carrying it in many locations. So worth checking out! Put a saucepan on the hob with a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, then, when this is hot, add the vegetables, starting with the spring onion. It looks very similar to couscous but in reality there are a Zuppa gallurese. I’ll have to find some and try out your recipe! Traditional. See all the ideas: Filed Under: Italian recipes, Main dishes, Seafood recipes, World Recipes Tagged With: clams, fregola, pasta, seafood, Welcome! I haven’t cooked with clams. i bough some pearl couscous the other day and was wondering how to prepare it. Thanks - you have successfully subscribed! This is actually a pretty simple recipe to make. In addition, couscous is Yes that’s it. The clams probably need to be purged. This whole dish looks amazing. Would love to try this. Fregola is a beautiful, tasty Sardinian pasta made from hard durum wheat flour -- rolled, sun-dried, and toasted to a mix of shades of yellow, gold, and brown. I’ve never tried Fregola before but it sounds delicious! https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/collections/sardinian-recipes In fact, they stock some very good Italian pasta brands. This looks so delicious. Fregola is a peculiar pasta shape at the heart of Sardinia’s culinary heritage. Apart from the clams and the pasta, this fregola with clams recipe has only a few other ingredients. « Thai-style leftover chicken Buddha bowl, Baked eggs with mushrooms and asparagus », Fiskefrikadeller med Karry (Fish Cakes with Curry). open, you will have to remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on a Warm the oil in a medium-large pan over a medium-low heat and add the garlic. It’s lovely to know a little history of our food, isn’t it? Ingredients: •4 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed and rinsed. Buon giorno and welcome to my pasta project! This one looks like an absolute winner . So few ingredients yet so much flavor! Thanks for the recipe, I love coming to your blog, because I learn about all of these different pastas that I have never heard about before!! If you have ever been to Sardinia, you may have come across this delicious seafood dish. Once clams have all been removed, add the fregola and stock to the sauce, stir through well. And instead of the water I use a half a cup of white wine. In a large pot add the olive oil, leek, carrot, and parsley and fry gently. This dish is traditionally made with fregola and no other pasta. If any don’t open after a reasonable time cooking (ie same as rest) then discard as they may not be good to eat. https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/sardinian-herb-soup-serbuzzu Read More…. The first Discover on Sensibus.com a wide range of Sardinian recipes, and the typical ingredients from this region renowened all over the world: bottarga, carasau bread and more!Discover the many beauties and tastes of Sardinia and start a flavor journey of this magical island!. Sardinian gnocchi- malloreddus with zucchini flowers, ricotta & saffron, Spécialités culinaires italiennes traditionnelles d’Italie – Guide voyage, Traditional Italian food specialties from Italy - Enewsgate, Traditional Italian food specialties from Italy. Thank you, Kelly! Oh man! Culurgiones, the Typical Sardinian Ravioli. Feel free to do so, though, if you are nervous. Wherever you are, you can also search on Amazon for fregola (also sometimes called Sardinian fregula). Chop the peeled onion, peeled garlic and celery finely and sauté together in a pan with extra virgin … Remember you will get extra flavor from the clam juice coming out of the clams as they cook. This style of pasta draws on the Moorish influence on the island. This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. Everything else looks delicious too. Had spaghetti with arselle but not fregola, although it was on the menu. The Sardinian fregola is cooked in many different traditional recipes: in particular it is prepared with clams or scallops. Hi Tatiana, thank you! Great recipe! Add the prepared half clams and the clams without shells if you have them. Clams can be sandy, given where they live, so make sure they are cleaned well before you cook them. Hope you love it as much as we do! The dish looks absolutely delicious and the pics are drool worthy. Home » Main dishes » Sardinian fregola with clams. Wash the clams and place them in a large bowl with water and salt. Cooked in … This Sardinian fregola with clams only uses a few ingredients but has such a wonderful flavor. These are small clams known as wedge clams in English. I love the sound of this rustic recipe. Add the two peeled garlic cloves and cook until they start to brown and soften. I’m originally a Londoner but in 2003 life’s journey brought me to the beautiful Veneto region of Italy where… Read More, 3rd place in Top 50 Italian Food Blogs Awards by Feedspot, Copyright © 2020 The Pasta Project on the Brunch Pro Theme, Aosta Valley (Valle d’Aosta or Val d’Aosta). See more details in the policy page. I recently collaborated with this online shop  to promote some of their other pasta. Cjarsons ravioli from Friuli Venezia Giulia. You will be able to recreate a little corner of Sardinia with this recipe! This recipe is incredible. Hi Erika, this is a great recipe for eating more clams! It’s so fun for something a little different, and I’m always a big fan of clams. Handmade using only semolina flour and water, then toasted in a wood-fire oven – from which it gets its unique, multi-coloured appearance – it resembles pearl couscous in shape and texture, though it’s used in … Perfect for date night. Midway through cooking, add the saffron. It is similar to couscous, but with larger pellets that have been toasted in the oven so it has a firmer texture and nuttier flavour. I shop at a great little Italian butcher shop that carries pastas from Italy so am definitely going to try and find some. A true Sardinian speciality, fregola is a type of pasta typically made from semolina dough. Traditionally, this pasta is handmade by combining semolina flour mixed with water. Fregola is traditional Sardinian pasta crafted in a century-old secret style. Shell most of the clams, keeping only a few with the shell for decoration. There are various ways to use fregola, and you can use it much like any other pasta. I am absolutely making this on Saturday for my friends. Sagne Pasta from Abruzzo, Molise and Lazio. Usually your fishmonger will have cleaned them – it’s worth checking if you are unsure. Thanks for all the tips. Haven’t heard about fregola before, nor have seen it, so thank you for introducing this to me. My husband just saw a cooking show that used fregola and asked me to make something with it. All you need is some garlic, olive oil, tomato concentrate and parsley! Pour the fregola with clams into serving dishes and serve immediately whilst still hot. Fusilli pasta with black olive pesto and tuna. It is also known as Sardinian Couscous . Thanks for the recipe. Serve immediately. You are absolutely right! It looks delicious and easy too. time consuming part of this fregola with clams recipe is cleaning the clams. •1 cup dry white wine. I used small clams called lupini (striped venus clams) but you can also use other types of small clams such as littlenecks. Note the Mediterranean clams traditionally used for this are smaller than your typical North American clams. Seriously great timing! You simply cannot beat classic Italian flavors, such a beautifully simple dish that I know sings! Required fields are marked *. Home » Italy's Regions » Sardinia » Fregola with Clams: Recipe from Sardinia. The most Great pictures and instructions too. Want to know more about my life in Italy? This Sardinian fregola with clams is all you would expect in a traditional Italian pasta recipe – simple ingredients that come together easily to make a fresh and flavorful dish. The cabbage with rice is fine, but these with fregola are excellent. It’s simole, authentic and so delicious. Every time I visit your blog, I fall in love with your recipe. It adds a certain nuttiness, which comes through in the cooked pasta. But, actually, clams and mussels aren’t difficult to cook and they don’t leave a fishy smell in your kitchen. Saving and pinning this post. heated. Since I won’t be making it to Sardinia anytime soon I’m excited to be able to make their famous dish right at home. You can change the number of clams up or down as you prefer, but the number I have here is enough, I think, to get a good sense of the flavor without it costing a fortune. Add the clams into the tomatoes, cover the pan and allow the clams to steam. It can sometimes be a little tricky to find, but you can buy it online if you don’t find it locally (affiliate link).