should i wake up my 2 month old baby for a feed at night or wait for him to wake up when he is hungry? I work outside of the home and cherish the bonding that nursing provides, so I’m not quite ready to give up all of the night feedings, but I would appreciate less night wakings. Your email address will not be published. You should like you have a normal healthy baby. If you allow your baby to sleep long periods of time between feeding, your milk supply might dwindle or never become adequate to meet your baby's needs. 2- month-olds should have 7-12 feeds per 24 hour day if they’re breastfed, and 6-8 feeds per 24 hour day if they’re formula fed. if they're gaining weight and are at a healthy percentile, trust your pediatrician! I feel so much better, as a mom, now that I’m intentionally encouraging my kid for his strengths. Posts focusing on the transition into living with your new little one and any issues that may come up. Once your baby is 2 weeks old and weighs more than when she was born, you will no longer need to worry about waking for feeds. Nolan's mommy. I would wake her until she’s had at least 1.5 hours of rest, unless it was a catnap in the evening time and bedtime was coming in a few hours. Before that, they really don't understand cause/effect, and aren't capable of manipulation. They are responding well and I am looking particularly forward to working through these strategies with my youngest. She gradually dropped both those night feedings on her own and now sleeps through from 10 pm to 7 am most nights at 2.5 months old. Each baby and family is different. He generally sleep till 6:30/6:40am and at that time I nurse him and lay him back down. Lv 4. At this age, your baby should drink about 4 to 5 ounces per feeding. What strategies you suggest are common knowledge, but having the time to sit back and think about them is another thing. My Baby Pauses While Breastfeeding. She's 3 months now and she goes to bed by 7:15 pm and wakes up til 5:00 or 6:00 am. There’s no one right way of doing things, but this technique can work. I completely understand what you are saying. Plus, learn how to spot the signs of colic. If your baby’s sleep and feeding routines haven’t changed drastically yet, they’re about to. I have a 2 year old, and when she was 4 months old she started sleeping longer at night and missing feeds, my health visitor said I had to set an alarm to wake her or else!! Read on to learn why it happens and some tips to help you handle it. My 2 month old baby sleeps 9 hours at night - is this too much? So just make sure when you are trying to get your baby into a routine you aren’t restricting their sleep. You should wake up your newborn to ensure she’s feeding every few hours, says Tracey Bridger, a paediatric endocrinologist in St. John’s. I know it has been only a week, but it feels like a massive change. If this isn’t something that will work for your family, I completely understand that as well. Thank you for sharing your perspective. Whoever came up with the phrase "you should never wake a sleeping baby" really made my job a little harder. I love it! My baby is almost 14 months old. The post is available to help those who find it useful. If she's gaining weight, growing healthfully, etc etc, just let her sleep. Unfortunately, this makes for one tired mama, especially when you have other children to care for. Thanks for this post! Answers. that's why you pay them! But the good news is that your baby will gradually start to sleep for longer periods and remain awake for longer stretches of time. Most babies will still wake up to be fed during the night, which means disturbed sleep for you. Whatever works for your family, works. I truly love these and think any toddler mom could benefit! :), New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the beyondthebump community. I was told he should be feeding every 2 and a half to 3 hrs but he just won't wake up! References “Do I Need to Wake My Trust your gut mama! Your milk production adjusts. I added a disclaimer at the top because I truly am a believer in doing what works well for your own family. Many days, I add in another nursing session or two for comfort or hunger (always feed your baby when they are hungry). Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Even when I work with an 8-month-old baby, I encourage the parents to only feed upon waking. What are good activities for play time for 6 week old baby? I write about my crazy parenting adventures, discovering happiness in motherhood and navigating the ups and downs of military life. I agree with Lauren that it isn’t that you MUST do this, but for those moms who are losing their minds, sanity, and rest and need to teach their babies to sleep… this works. You can do this in many ways while raising a healthy, well-rested, and very attached baby. Help! Question: My baby is 6 weeks old. Here's a sample schedule: Between 6:00am - 7:00 am: Wake up, feed, play (in that order) Feed #1: 10-60 mins after wake-up (depending on last feed right) 1.5 –1.75 hour after wake-up: Begin Nap #1 (do not start this before 7:30am) Feed #2: at least 10 mins after she wakes from nap I wouldn't wake him. She is sleeping now and it has … Oh my goodness. 2-4 months. Hi! I used to wake her up for a night feed but the pediatrician said we could let her sleep. She started sleeping 9+ straight since she was 3 weeks old. Yes, really. What works for one baby and family might not be the best fit for another. I do have a question, how many times a night is your 6 week old waking to eat? It changed my relationship 180°. Please know these times are very approximate and we are not glued to the clock. The main reasons behind 7-month-old sleep regression are the development of your baby’s brain and the growth spurt that their body is going through. If you’re looking for a simple way to create pre-nap and bedtime routines for your baby, check out the baby sleep printable routine and checklist bundle. Should I wake him up or let him sleep? Thank you so much for putting this out there. Most of the time he falls back asleep till 8:30am. Count your blessings, mate! . but if they settle back down on their own, get your sleep mama! I'd ask your pediatrician. She is gaining weight really well. Where should … Limit naps to 2 – 2.5 hours during the day. when he hit 3 months, his wake time lengthened and I found myself waking him at 1.5 hrs now. We didn't try any sleep training methods in fact she usually nurses to sleep. Keep nap times consistent throughout the week. Do you recommend nursing more frequently during the day so she’s fuller at night? He'll wake for a feed if he's hungry. Our power struggles have decreased, kids have been getting along together better. Hello, Have been following a strict routine for my 5 1/2 month old and she sometimes seems to want more sleep during the day time than the 2 hours the routine advises. 1030 – Everyone heads outside to park, play group or errands are run. If you can hit that target as much as possible during the day, great; then if baby doesn’t wake to feed at night, no problem. learn one easy routine that will help you get more done (and keep your child happy), get simple hacks for managing the day with mulitple kids, get a sneak peak at a book containing 25+ sample routines and schedules. This post is by no means prescriptive. On As a parent, you can’t control what time your child falls asleep at naptime or bedtime, but you can set the time that your child wakes each morning! She is 7.5 weeks. Plus, unlike in the newborn period, your 6-week-old breastfed baby can sleep a little longer without waking. Thanks! This is not prescriptive for every family. Here are a few tips to help baby organize feedings: By simply feeding more during the day, babies will naturally start to drop night feedings during the night as their little bodies allow. Just be prepared for him to ask for more feeds during the day. I hope to flip that over because I’m exhausted! She sleeps in a pack n play next to the bed so when she wakes up I also am awoken. What works for one family might not work well for another. And it’s such a struggle to then get her to nap for more than 2-3 hours. Read up on newborn baby development milestones and feeding schedules. This allows you to discover predictable times during the day to get things done, run errands, shower, care for your other children and beyond! I am a sleep scientist/therapist and I can tell you that babies who don’t sleep enough can really suffer in their development. Get the rest while you can! As long as she is growing, peeing and pooping, she is doing great. This article is really to help those who are looking for an alternative to that as well. And it has worked wonders for my mood and frustration level when the arguing and tears are not averted. Welcome to the second half of the first year! Your baby should be getting comfortable sleeping through the night (a full 11-12 hours) without a feed. 1 doctor answer. Day-night confusion should be subsiding, and you may see baby settle into a rough pattern of 60 to 90 minutes of awake time followed by 30 minutes to two hours of napping. Usually he wakes up before that to nurse, but occasionally he will still be asleep after 4 hours so I will wake him to eat. Only extend daytime feedings once baby drops night feedings. So glad I found you on my motherhood journey. My baby is 9 weeks + 4 days old. I've seen my sample routines work time and time again for parents. Primarily, I think the wake times for my oldest daughter’s schedule were too long for a 2 month old baby as wake times can shift considerably from 1 month to 4 months old.) After 3 months of age, parents can give a feeding at 10 p.m. or thereabouts, and expect the baby to sleep 6 hours. She sometimes will make noises, stretches or grunts but she goes back to sleep after. Whether you should wake a sleeping newborn for feedings depends on the baby's age, weight and overall health. My 6 week old is on a similar schedule as yours, and he benefits greatly from it! Bring on the baby weight! Required fields are marked *. Is it ok to let her sleep that long at this age? I nursed him, so it was really important for him to eat at least every 2-3 hours during the day so he wouldn't be up all night. Waking to feed ever 4 hours during the day for a you g baby is ok but babies have different sleep requirements at different ages and sometimes need more sleep than usual if the are having a physical or mental high growth period. Up all night, sleep all day. I wouldn't wake him. Here are 4 We were chatting and enjoying a fabulous time sharing stories, baby sleep tips, and catching up. As long as her weight gain is fine, you don't need to wake her up for a feeding in the middle of the night anymore. Encourage baby to stay awake for a bit after each nap. Not only that, but the empathy statements and “turning a no into a yes” actually had my three year old saying “okay, mom” happily and complying right away without fighting or tears, by the end of the day! 4 Month Old Feeding Schedule: At this point, a regular sleep/eat/wake schedule will help your little one know when it’s time to eat, sleep, and be awake. As of a week ago or so, she doesn’t seem hungry until 4 hours later. There are indeed times when it makes complete sense why would need to wake a sleeping baby. 7-9 Months: 1, maybe 2, feedings; 10-12 Months: Sometimes 1 feeding; 12+ Months: Generally no feedings; Formula-Fed Babies. She will let you know when she is hungry. If your baby is just a few weeks old, you should wake him from sleep to feed if he is sleeping 4 hours or longer. And this isn’t prescriptive. I would think she is capable of waking up when she's hungry at this age. I think this is great. Or eat a meal. Hi, My DS is now nearly 4 weeks old and gaining weight well after a slow start. I told her about my crazy natural childbirth story and my secret to invisible stretch marks. Favorite Answer. Instead of reminding and counting down and trying to avoid meltdowns, last night we sang the Olaf song as she cheerfully picked out her Olaf underwear and put them on.