Oil can be extracted from the seeds which is also edible. This unusualy shrub makes small edible seed pods that are about a third protein, which has made Siberian peashrub a fodder plant that can be used in poultry yards as a source of feed. It is hardy, for which it is often used as windbreak in plantations. Last year, I added a new plant to my forest garden – a Siberian pea tree or pea shrub (Caragana arborescens). As the name suggests, the plant is native to Siberia. They have a distinct growing pattern and physical characteristics. The pigeon pea bush has many uses in the sustainable landscape. If not or sowed late, move on to deep rose pots or similar until planting out the following spring. The warm water will soften the hard seed coating and cause the seed to swell to about twice the original size. The one plant in the yard produces seeds every year, but I haven’t had volunteers there either. The focal point is the great old ginkgo tree at the back of the space that was original to the property. We have a 10-step vetting process of all vendors and focus on quality & efficacy. Attractive silvery grey foliage and small yellow flowers on a bushy plant with thorny branches. Your email address will not be published. They are deciduous shrubs and may also appear like short trees. The sparse canopy is also excellent if you want to provide shade for smaller plants but still allow light to get through. JOHN QUINNEY. The advantages to planting perennials are numerous. Like many tree and shrub seeds, to germinate the Siberian Pea requires a period of dormancy followed by warmer, wet times. Neither are toxic to livestock. Grab a glass of milk because we're about to dunk peanut butter cookies, oatmeal-raisin cookies, snickerdoodle cookies, and many more of our all-time favorite cookie recipes. Also known as the Siberian pea shrub or pea dhrub. Buxus is a genus of about 70 species in the family Buxaceae. Siberian pea shrub is native to Siberia and Manchuria and occurs from southern Russia to China The shrub’s nutritional content is composed around 36% protein and 12.4% of fatty oil. They are fast-growing and should be ready to plant out in late summer from an early spring sowing. I have planted them along my garage where there is a bank consisting of … If I had the time to gather seed pods that would be a great source of protein.Or I could plant a hedge somewhere the chickens range-someday. Seeds may serve as fodder for animals, especially in the Arctic Circle where reindeers feed on them. Not a gourmet vegetable! The Siberian Peashrub is a tall bush that can reach heights of 6 to 19 ft. Recipes; About; Contact Us; shrub 5 Jan 2019 Siberian Pea Shrub by jmeyerengineer | posted in: Multi Purpose, Siberian Pea Shrub, Support Plants | 1 . Harvesting In the US, the optimum time for collecting seed is less than two weeks, usually in July or August. This article reminded me that Philippinos grow a plant to use as greens which is good as a cholesterol lowerer, cardio-protective, and has many vitamins and minerals. In its homelands in Siberia, Northern China, and Kazakhstan, Siberian Pea Shrub is appreciated for the workhorse it is—as a soil stabilizer, windbreak, and bee plant, and as a source of cord fiber, blue dye (from the leaves), and food (the “peas” and pods are edible). This shrub is a non-leguminous nitrogen producer. They grow up to 10 to 13 cm in length. As an experiment, we created an edible perennial windbreak on the north side of the cabin. Jun 16, 2014 - Explore Green Way's board "Atriplex Shrubs", followed by 149 people on Pinterest. Large nitrogen fixing shrub that produces copious amounts of small edible peas. Its nitrogen fixing ability nourishes the soil before further cultivation. Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox. Like a pea, they’re also a nitrogen fixing plant. It is hardy to -40 F, prefers full sun, and can tolerate dry conditions well. Apparently, they can grow up to 2-6m tall, have fragrant yellow flowers, and produce legumes which contain many seeds. In late summer, the yellow blooms form slender brown seedpods. It's a species of legume. Maintenance pruning at the end of winter. A cover crop of oats is seeded between the tree rows early enough to give winter protection. It has also become a favorite shrub in permaculture design because of its many medicinal, food, and material uses; and because it is fairly easy to establish. Legumes: Scarlet runner, pigeon pea, ground nut, honey locust, redbud, Siberian pea shrub, Russian pea shrub, Pygmy pea shrub, moringa Lead image source: Randy Robertson /Flickr Advertisement Dampen (not soaking) the compost and mix in the seeds. One of the plants many recorded during the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Mar 17, 2019 - A description of the Siberian pea tree, how to grow it and what parts are edible. Family (Botanic): Fabaceae. If you’ve ever looked over the cost analysis for our homestead you’ll see that we haven’t been able to raise laying hens for eggs any cheaper than buying a carton from the store. Just make they’re not poisonous to sheep John! The seedlings should appear in around 4 weeks. 3.95: Available: 2172A: FERTILISER – Fertiliser tablet to place at the bottom of the hole before planting. Sunlight: Growing pea shrubs for flowers may require them to be planted in sandy areas receiving maximum sunlight. See more ideas about Canning recipes, Recipes, Canning pickles. It grows best in full sun, though they can also grow in partial sun. These ripen in July and, if left, will fall off the shrub and sprout, eventually creating a thicket. Now, I’m not telling you to cut down an entire tree branch and haul it home. Deciduous. I have had Siberian pea trees for years. This herb is induces blood flow in the uterus and pelvic region aiding in menstruation. Shrubs are large enough to dig the following fall (Ag Handbook 450). Caragana size. Here are seeds for you to grow your own support trees and plants for the forest garden. I would love to know where I can get one from rsvp. All rights reserved. Young green seedpods can be eaten as a vegetable. You can notice signs of germination in less than three weeks. This should finally convince the seeds it is time to wake up and grow when they’re removed. Replicating this process, which in nature ensures the seeds germinate at the right time to grow, is known as stratification. To know about the caragana. Nitrogen is the element responsible for lush green plant growth, but plants aren't actually able to use the nitrogen gas in Earth's atmosphere. In U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 2 through 7, and where winters are very cold and summers are dry, caragana makes an effective privacy hedge and windscreen. Nov 1, 2020 - Explore Rural Sprout's board "Jams, Jellies & Chutneys", followed by 22727 people on Pinterest. In some areas of the United States it is considered an invasive species Another benefit is that the flowers are useful for bees, providing nectar. It is native to Siberia and Manchuria; in some countries where it has spread quickly by seed population, it is considered an ecological threat. ... Siberian Pea Shrub Kumara Mahina. Check Plants Lists for items we are growing this year. It turned out to be Siberian pea-shrub. Prized for its light green, ferny-like foliage and bright yellow spring flowers. But the color fades during fall making them look yellowish. With larger scale hedging windbreaks, just leave them to it. It can tolerate draught and alkaline soils as well. Put into a loosely tied polythene bag and place in a fridge for a month. Do not use a general fertiliser, a little potash (as from wood ashes) will help but don’t pamper it. Some seeds will not have swollen so repeat the process using warmer water – not above hand-hot. Small Trees ( 5 – 7 m) Tree Lucerne, Kowhai, Sea Buckthorn, Silk Tree, Siberian Pea shrub, Amur Maackia and Eleagnus. Growing methods Sow seed in the spring. Do not put in the freezer. Home › Siberian Pea Shrub Seeds. Siberian pea shrub - Caragana arborescens Young plug plant - Height of plant: 15/20 cm. The shrub is useful in many ways. Pinnately compound leaves create a lovely fern like texture to complement the flowers that are held on dark, glossy-green stems. shrubs and short trees: Autumn olive, gumi, Siberian pea shrub, Russian olive, sea berry; Method 2 — right amount of plants. Due to its fragrant flowers, it naturally attracts the bees which help in production of honey in bee farms. Chinese Traditional Medicine considers this plant to be highly effective in treating breast cancer, dysmenorrhea and several other gynecological ailments. Native to the northern Great Plains, the buffaloberry is a great adaptable shrub that has small, red edible fruits. It is a large to very large shrub with a size of 8-20 feet tall, and 12-18 feet wide. Flowers are usually white and formed in large clusters. Powdery mildew needs live plant tissue to grow. Flowers bloom in November and their fragrance help attract bees for pollination. BrightSide Permaculture 9,703 views. The Siberian pea tree was introduced to North America in the mid-1700s and has become established in most of Canada and around half of the states in the USA. • Fagus sylvatica 'Purpurea Pendula' (purple beech) has dark purple foliage. Meet our powerhouse of herbal plant-based ingredients found at Apothékary, an online apothecary or farmacy of the future. There are two options when it comes to growing a Siberian pea tree or shrub. Up to 1.5 metres tall. Use a decent compost and sow shallowly into 3 inch (8 cm) pots about ½ inch deep (1 cm) or, as I am, using 12 cm deep root trainers. These guys do not like frost, so in said areas, something like Siberian pea shrub might be a better choice. The Siberian pea shrub is a nitrogen fixer and the comfrey has a 30-foot root system that pulls water and nutrients from farther away so the tree can flourish. Caragana has pod fruits which contain many seeds. Siberian Pea Shrub. So it’s poor-quality, weedy pasture with a lot of moss and weeds, very lacking in nutrients. These shrubs are well suited to a poultry or livestock pasture where they can rain down high protein feed year after year. So, in conclusion, I can say that, yes, Siberian pea shrub can be laid as a hedgerow and it seems to do it no harm at all. Care: Root cuttings, layering and grafting are some procedures that can done on the plants to obtain good results. History in Canada. Hardy to Zone 2. The seed is nutritious and wholesome, although rather small it is often very freely borne and is easily harvested[K]. Up to 3 metres tall. Caragana Arborescens (Siberian Pea Shrub). Make a mix of 50/50 seed compost and sharp sand or compost and vermiculite. Slow release over 7 to 8 months. Hardy to Zone 5. In one North Dakota nursery, Siberian peashrub is seeded during the last week in July or the first week in August. Both of those trees are hardy, drought tolerant, and they will grow here. That’s pretty cold (-42ºC)A huge range between winter and summer, Your email address will not be published. Details; Why not bulk up your garden display with this uncommon shrubby tree? Share Share on Facebook Tweet Tweet on Twitter Pin it Pin on Pinterest. I urgently require two Siberian pea shrubs. You may need to repeat this process again, removing swollen seeds to sow each day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caragana_arborescens, http://www.ehow.com/how_5135188_grow-caragana-hedge.html, http://nativeplants.evergreen.ca/search/view-plant.php?ID=06397, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/woody/siberianpeashrub.html, http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_cc99.html, http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Caragana_arborescens.html, http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex986?opendocument, http://montana.plant-life.org/species/cara_arbo.htm, http://www.aussiegardening.com.au/findplants/plant/Caragana_arborescens, http://www.gardenguides.com/taxonomy/siberian-peashrub-caragana-arborescens/, http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex13352, Your email address will not be published. These are small and highly ornamental, which is why they are preferred as garden plants. Despite of being highly utilitarian, it should be avoided during pregnancy for its ability to cause abortion in the early stages. In late summer, the yellow blooms form slender brown seedpods. Like many tree and shrub seeds, to germinate the Siberian Pea requires a period of dormancy followed by warmer, wet times. Long term we're looking at teaching classes and diversified income from value added specialty products. This shrub is extremely hardy and a top nitrogen fixer as it produces tons of small seed pods. According to the Tree Seeds Online web site, without stratification the germination rate will be lower than 10%. Peppers and tomatoes under the black walnut tree where not much else will grow well. Apr 1, 2013 - Siberian pea shrub is often planted in chicken runs for the edible beans, and bees also like the flowers. Scarlet Runner Beans! I’ve just bought some Siberian Peashrub seeds. The Siberian pea shrub has an excellent potential to become a staple food crop. I think there’s a good chance they’ll thrive here. The problem I can see as a bird feed is that when the seeds are ripe, they sort of explode. Inside the seed the embryo has now quickened and the seeds should be sown immediately. Siberian pea tree or Caragana has been planted by the millions in yard and field shelterbelts here in Saskatchewan. The peashrub is fast growing, useful as a deciduous shelterbelt hedging plant and extremely hardy – as you’d expect from a Siberian plant. Light Needs. Mix together and let the solution cool to room temperature. Weeping Siberian Peashrub Caragana arborescens 'Pendula' Sku #2256. We breed Muscovy ducks for eggs and meat and have laying hens in the garden. The pea shrub’s flowers are yellow and fragrant. They are hermaphrodite in nature, which means they have both male and female pollinating features. The Caragana pea can be eaten though it tastes bitter and not very pleasant to eat without cooking. Best part of growing pea shrubs is that it can be grown in very poor quality soils due to its adaptive nature. Common English name: Siberian peashrub; Other names: Siberian pea-tree, caragana; Latin (scientific) name: Caragana arborescens; Threat type. But it may be invasive in northern areas. We mix, bottle, and label everything by hand fresh-to-order, … Bark of the shrub is a source of fiber which can be used for making paper, clothes and ropes. A small shrub has an abundance of yellow flowers in late spring. It fixes nitrogen from the air into the soil in a similar process to clover, alfalfa and beans. I never seem to have volunteer plants, so I suspect that the ones out where the chickens roam are eaten right up. All of this from picking up a tiny seedling in the park that probably wouldn’t have survived there anyway! This plant provides excellent chicken forage and can be grown inside fenced chicken areas because of its height. Growing 4-6 meters tall it grows edible seed pods that are somewhat bland, but can be added to other meals. By August the dried seedpods snap open to drop the small seeds, which are 36% protein and can be used like peas or beans. Jun 1, 2018 - These are four-winged beans, also called four-angled beans. The Siberian Peashrub is often grown as a decorative garden shrub. WOW! The creeping thymes are low-maintenance, nectar-producing alternatives to lawns. DO NOT, as some sites suggest, use near boiling water. Sowing a Siberian Pea Tree. SIBERIAN PEA SHRUB (Caragana arborescens) A perennial legume with abundant yellow flowers in late spring followed by small edible seeds. The pods, leaves, and flowers make an excellent animal fodder. The shrubs are thriving & we plan on starting a new hedge from the current seed. Thanks for the informative post. Here are some photos, enjoy. Introduced into the United States, the Siberian pea tree, otherwise known as Caragana pea tree, attains heights of between 10 to 15 feet tall, some up to 20 feet tall. Maybe northern kiwi jam will turn out to be a hit, or seaberry sauce, or organic Siberian pea shrub chicken feed? Fill a bucket two thirds full of Comfrey, Nettles, and Borage. They are very hardy; weather temps here range from 100F in summer to -45F in winter with extreme temp ranges in fall and spring. I started some, and they're doing well in their starter pots. Hello! Elderberry is a deciduous shrub that, depending on variety, can grow anywhere from 9 to 15 ft tall. The plant is Moringa Oleifera. The planting should be accompanied with occasional oat seedlings to give them cover during harsh winters while they are growing up. Recipes ; Sign in; Create an Account; Menu. The Siberian pea shrub is a multifunctional element. I’m Janie, I’m a food writer, photographer and recipe creator. The plant has thorns, its flowers are yellow, and leaves are dark green. There’s a few people selling the seeds on Ebay but they were asking silly money. Recipes; About; Contact Us; 5 Jan 2019 . They’re becoming very popular with permaculture followers. Large leaves and white flowers, large pods and peas. See more ideas about Shrubs, Plants, Rustic coastal decor. Our homestead, like our needs and dreams, is always evolving. Description: Traditional Heirloom shellout pea, gifted to us by John Lambly of Whangarei. Feature as a single specimen or in small groups. Adding some kind of pesticides hastens germination. commonly planted for hedges and windbreaks, especially on the prairies; escaped from Alberta to Quebec but mainly a problem on the prairies; Biology . Siberian Pea Shrub (Caragana arborescens) is a perennial legume shrub. Used in poultry yards, as a source of feed, and as a hedge plant. They are now considered an invasive species in some areas of North America. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I am so pleased with how well it has developed. For many years all that’s happened is sheep have been run on it and they’d over-grazed it. Honey Rooting Hormone Recipe. Only 1 tablet in each hole. Oil can also be obtained from the plant that is mainly used for making paints, soaps and lubricating agents. Caragana or Siberian pea shrub is a flowering plant, often planted in gardens for its showy disposition. It can therefore be seen growing in extreme cold conditions in Canada. It’s, as the name suggests, a shrub from Siberia that produces pea-like seeds in pods. In this bed, we planted Siberian pea shrub, Rugosa rose, Elderberry seedlings, … Certain plant species, though, harbor bacteria in their roots that convert nitrogen from the atmosphere into a form that plants can absorb. Botanical name: Caragana arborescens (fruticosa) All common names: Siberian pea-shrub; Siberian peashrub . Overview: A deciduous shrub originating from Central Asia belonging to the Fabaceae (legume) family growing to 5-6m high and 4m wide with an upright habit. It has escaped cultivation in Maine, Vermont, and Massachusetts. Siberian pea trees can find a place in a range of locations within a garden. Family (English): Pea. Never knew anyone to eat the seeds but as kids we ate the flowers. Pods and seeds of the pea shrub are both edible. Common names include box or boxwood. 8:33. The Siberian Pea Shrub is a nitrogen-fixing perennial shrub that can be planted with success in the Bay Area. Required fields are marked *. Seeds should … Keep at between 15 and 20ºC. It has moderate to fast growth rate. Add water to the top of the bucket and leave for seven days. They are of Asian origin but now they are prevalent in many parts of USA as these were introduced in the region for preventing soil erosion in the early 1900’s. Garden & Outdoor . They work well in forest garden schemes, as ornamental single trees, or, as mentioned above, as part of shelter belts or wind break hedges on your property. It is also prevalent in Alberta, British Columbia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba and New Brunswick. This nitrogen-fixing legume is not only delicious, beautiful and easily grown in the Bay Area – it’s a perennial. The quintessential permaculture nitrogen fixer! I share my home with Jonny and a little black rescue cat called Sassy. Also, the process of hedge laying isn’t exactly rocket science, and can be accomplished with some common sense and a lot of hard work. Full sun. Plant. The Siberian pea shrub is a perennial plant that does not require much maintenance, can withstand harsh weather conditions, and often lives for many years. It can be planted as an impenetrable hedge as it is very thorny. Usually the amounts of nitrogen fixed per hectare (or acre) are expressed by how much nitrogen certain plants fix if they grow in monoculture. Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree. Siberian pea shrubs aren’t just gorgeous, but they also attract beneficial pollinators. In any sort of medical emergency arising out of its consumption, you may seek medical advice. Siberian pea-shrub is a hardy, sun-loving, large shrub tolerant of drought, wind, deer and varying soil conditions. The generally accepted method for Siberian Peashrub seeds is to soak the seeds in warm water (around 20ºC, room temperature) for a day. Facts. Your chickens can snack on the larvae of those pollinators, or they can eat the fruit of the tree (as well as the leaves) once it matures. A member of the pea family (Fabaceae), the Siberian pea tree, Caragana arborescens, is a deciduous shrub or small tree native to Siberia and Manchuria. I have sampled the seeds. Siberian Pea Shrub (caragana arborescens): This looks like a Siberian Pea Shrub,Caragana arborescens. Big Trees – Robinia, Golden Rain tree, Italian Alder. A light trimming after it is established will encourage it to bush out. Soon I expect to be the bane of the valley when folks have these bushes running rampant in their pastures. Light Needs. They can beautify gardens as they make great bonsai plants. There are over 80 species of this plant that is part of the legume family. Being a fast-growing, nitrogen-fixing shrub, shedding its leaves each winter to add to the humus in the soil, the Siberian Peatree has to be the ideal plant as a windbreak around nutrient deficient land. Siberian peash… It can compete with native shrubs in forest and savanna environments and overtake grassland areas and convert them to shrublands. Very interesting. Caragana arborescens, the Siberian peashrub, Siberian pea-tree, or caragana, is a species of legume native to Siberia and parts of China (Heilongjiang Xinjiang) and neighboring Mongolia and Kazakhstan. Cart 0. This columnar shrub produces small, pea-like flowers in May. Required fields are marked *. Leaves are arranged in an alternate fashion and they are dark as well as light green in color. • Caragana arborescens 'Pendula' (Siberian pea shrub) has thorny branches with yellow flowers in spring. Photo 4. This species of shrub is a native of Siberia, parts of Mongolia and China. Your email address will not be published. I read that the young peas and the pea-pods are edible when cooked but I think from other accounts that they’re one of those plants that are edible if you’re starving. Cutleaf Weeping Siberian Pea Shrub . It was taken to the United States by Eurasian immigrants, who used it as a food source while travelling west. Barberry – Types, Medicinal Uses, Nutrition Benefits and Side Effects, Cassia Oil – Composition, Ingredients, Uses, Benefits and Production, Fiddleheads – Types, Nutritional Benefits, Uses, Recipes and Side Effects, Lupins (Lupinus) – Uses, Benefits, Nutritional Value, Growing and Care, Goldenseal Herb – Root, Benefits, Usage and Side Effects, 10 of the Best Triple Sec Drinks with Recipes. Over time, I've planted American and English boxwood, smaller ginkgo trees, smoke bushes, Siberian weeping pea shrubs, peonies, hostas, lilies, and so much more. Nothing much is known about its taste but It may taste bitter if eaten raw. Jul 7, 2013 - Siberian peashrub, Caragana arborescens, is an exceptionally tough, deciduous shrub or small tree that's ideal for hard-to-plant exposed locations or windbreaks. Another free idea of protein I thought of recently is siberian pea shrub which people often use as hedges here. For the planting of a Siberian caraganier hedge, space each plant approximately 100 cm. Caragana or Siberian pea shrub is a flowering plant, often planted in gardens for its showy disposition. Plantation: According to some nursery owners, for best results, more than 150 seeds can be sown every liner meter. Stubborn seeds that have not swollen with the warm water method can be cold stratified. Excessive watering is not good for their growth. These shrubs are mainly concentrated in woodlands, fields and meadows apart from edges of forests. Products Filter. Amazon.com : Siberian Pea Shrub 10 Seeds - Caragana arborescens : Garden & Outdoor. Scarify and soak seed overnight. Each pod contains 8-10 very large dark green peas. Siberian peashrub, Caragana arborescens, is an exceptionally tough, deciduous shrub or small tree that's ideal for hard-to-plant exposed locations or windbreaks. They’re not – which means I have to work out how to keep the sheep away from them until they’re established. It … If after soaking also the seeds do not bloat, stratification may help. The shrub’s nutritional content is composed around 36% protein and 12.4% of fatty oil. Siberian Pea Shrub Seeds (Caragana aborescens) Zones 2 - 7. They are often grown in the British Isles as an ornamental and there are different forms including dwarf, upright and pendulous. Photo 5. Siberian Pea Shrub: From Flower to Harvest - Duration: 8:33. The Project is directed at enabling designers of ‘carbon farms’ and ‘food forests’: agroecosystems of perennial plants, to choose the most appropriate plants for their requirements and site conditions.We are working on a subset of plants in the PFAF database identified as … by jmeyerengineer | posted in: Multi Purpose, Siberian Pea Shrub, Support Plants | 0 . Although Russian peasants have survived on these in the past, we find them too small to use in our diet. We live near Grand Forks, ND & have an established hedge of Siberian Pea Shrubs. As the seeds have a bland taste, it tastes best when spiced up. With root trainers the seedlings will hold well and not need moving into larger pots. Vines grow to almost 2 metres. Add a tablespoon of organic honey (you can use processed if it’s all you have). To add to our orchard, we planted two more apple tree whips and a few Nanking Cherry bushes. Siberian Pea Shrub Caragana arborescens. Saturday, 28th October, 2017 at 10:24 pm, Mushrooms, Increasing Production, Potatoes. Boil two cups of water. Siberian pea shrub is native to Manchuria and, of course, Siberia. Does well in Northland unlike most other shellout peas. The caragana, also … © 2020 (Only Foods). The plant develops attractive pealike foliage and yellow flowers in late spring. Apparently chickens like the peas though, which tells me that other birds will appreciate them as a food source. Young pods are eaten as cooked vegetables. Having said that, we are in the Nevada high desert country, and the trees have to be Tough to live here. It has yellow flowers in the tubular shape characteristic of plants in the pea family and produces abundant seedpods. Thanks for your input there, Kathy. Description Appearance. Pigeon Pea. Watering only occasionally and never allowing it to remain soggy, will help it grow well. Outside of the vegetable and fruit areas, I’m trying to regenerate the land. My grandfather used to say that the only way to kill a Caragana is with too much water. This weeping selection adds good looks to that list! The plant is commonly known as Siberian Pea shrub and Weeping Pea Tree. This range is expanding as we trial and collect seeds, particularly from our nitrogen fixing support trees. Siberian peashrub (also known as caragana) is a shrub or small tree that can grow up to 18 feet tall. Some plants are more susceptible than others such as some varieties of rose, monarda, polemonium and caragana - the Siberian pea shrub. Some people use the shrub as a living hedge around fruit trees due to its ability to fix nitrogen. When the pods mature, they crack open and scatter the seeds around. It is native to Asia and eastern Europe and has been used for food, fiber, and dye by people in that region for centuries. More Information FREE SEEDS SPECIAL OFFER, Growing Your Own, Gardening and Allotment Advice, Siberian Pea Tree (Siberian Peashrub) – Caragana arborescens. Germinating Siberian Peashrub. Very winter … Prices (3) Photos (6) Description. Whether it's a tried-and-true 1940s BH&G cookie recipe or a unique twist on sugar cookies, our Test Kitchen's compiled a lot of favorite cookie recipes over the years. The shrub has multiple usages apart from having numerous landscape applications that can be read below: There are no known instances of side effects caused by this shrub except some like diarrhea and vomiting. This species has also been recommended as a nitrogen-fixing windbreak and ground cover plant that binds the soil and produces fibre and dye stuffs[218].