He makes it clear that we cannot look to both as our supreme basis of trust; we will either put our hope in the promises and power of people, or we will look beyond human capability to the person and promises of God. 4) Be a living sacrifice. What Asa missed, however, is that it was God’s desire and will that Judah trust Him. If I have the resources to meet my challenges in life, my first impulse is to rely on those resources. You will not...read more The Search Of The Wise Men (Matthew 2:1-12), Christmas Searches: Expository Sermons For Christmas, 3. LEMONADE STORY; ORPHANS & WIDOWS; Contact; OUR UTTER DEPENDENCE ON GOD. 5-Jesus And His Dependence on God. One of our Essential 50 Biblical Stories in our Classic Bridges curriculum includes the Story of Elijah and how during a drought leading to a famine, God provides exactly what Elijah needs and when he needs it. It is possible that in the second campaign, the thought of relying on God did not even occur to Asa. “Look at the birds” implies “Look and Learn.” We can learn much from these flighty little fellows. It gives you something to do, but doesn’t get you anywhere. As R.H. Mounce has said, “Worry is practical atheism and an affront to God.”2. So why even ask whether writing the article is something I am supposed to do? Jesus recognizes that our days will be filled with trouble. Yes, we are truly grateful when God intervenes and wins an important victory in our lives. Fifth, we are God’s children. By contrast, those who understand Jesus and his Father know that provision has been made for them. The text reads: “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty” (v. 6). Total Dependence on God. If only Willy Loman could have found the courage to face the pain of failure and his emptiness, perhaps he might have realized that he was pursuing the wrong dream. I have no desire to repeat those earlier mistakes. dependence on God February 6, 2019 by Larry Bennett. Contrary to this the world’s ultimate goal is self-dependence. Prayer: it opens up communcation between us and the Creator of the World. At least, this is as it ought to be. Hudson Taylor was only 21 when he sailed from England. His presence is so regular, so commonplace, that we tend to overlook the very quality that separates him from all other gods. Rely on God’s Power in Christ. We know that God supernaturally delivered Israel. In an effort to help us do that R.C. He knows all too well my anxious and controlling heart! His holiness! Dependence on Dependence: The Catholic Constitution of Liberty To address the first question, I will add more to the story about the Catholic constitution of liberty. It is a lifestyle of trust and total obedience to God’s will and purpose. I want to always be certain that my confidence has not shifted from its center in Christ Jesus. Do you give God the credit for the successes in your life? Dependence on God is the attitude which says in all things “I need God”. Zerubbabel was one of the Israelite leaders who returned from Babylon after the exile. The biblical command is to “present your requests to God” ( … Do we depend on people we do not trust? A l'âge de 13 ans, Ruben Muñoz du Mexique était le plus jeune invité vivant seul à bord sur le bateau précédent le Logos II.Son père qui était un responsable régional d'OM à ce moment-là, avait une cabine pour loger … All else needed is provided” (6:33). Topics. Seeing Old Faithful. Sometimes it may be our faith which actually brings on troubles as we navigate our way through a world that insists on flying upside-down. I stand in amazement at the great work God is doing in our world today. We can now join in the prayer of Blaise Pascal: “Lord, help me to do great things as though they were little, since I do them with your power; and little things as though they were great, since I do them in your name.”7. Any problem we face can be handled, with God’s help, one day at a time. The dependence that God demands confesses that the Lord will hear and answer prayer according to His will, not because of something good in us but because we are in Christ and because Christ promises to intercede for us and with us by His Spirit (Rom. These are the reasons I have to pause before I agree to write an article or undertake any endeavor that may come my way. Every strategy. 2 R.H. Mounce, Matthew (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1991), p. 80. A voice cries: “In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. It is such a high premium that he has specific outcomes for those who depend on Him and for those who do not. Appendix: Study Guide for MEN7/52 Leadership Series MEN 7/52 is a men's ministry of bible.org. John MacArthur: The Church’s Duty to Remain Open, Shutting Down Free Speech is Unacceptable. Like Israel, our shift from dependence to presumption may be almost imperceptible. What God was telling Zerubbabel and the people of Judah–what He is telling us–is, “Depend on Me to do the impossible. Jeremiah 42:7-18 And it came to pass after ten days, that the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah.… These verses plainly show this much forgotten but never failing truth. The Bible requires me–and everyone expects me–to “Preach the Word” and to “be instant in season, out of season” (2 Timothy 4:2). Third, worry expends energy pointlessly – it doesn’t change the reality of the situation a single bit. 3 A.W. Eventually, everyone arrives at this place of insufficiency. In my own church, I teach at least six times each week and host a live radio program two days a week. That is God’s provision for them. It’s been so wonderful to see how He kept calling me back to himself over and over and over again! He had already learned he could trust God with the last coin in his pocket; he would need that faith as he set out to evangelize the Chinese. The man was a warrior, but the woman became very much afraid because it seemed almost hopeless: The boat was small and the storm was really huge, and any moment they were going to be drowned. We can demonstrate the reality of our love for God now, but there will be no need for “trust” in heaven. Acceptable sacrifices are purified from sin and dedicated to God. In fact, one of the few things God cannot do is be unfaithful (he also cannot remember our sins once they’ve been cleansed!). We live in a time when all forms of external authority are being challenged in favor of subjective, inner authority. I want to be influenced by His words and changed by His grace given to us through Jesus Christ. Depending on God Living the Scripture. Romans 12:1 says to offer up your body as a “living sacrifice” to God. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. We will wish we could do something to show God the truth of our words. The author of Hebrews reflected on this event when he wrote, “Since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself” (Hebrews 6:13). Only after an ordeal of painful self-probing are we likely to discover what we actually believe about God. If God is so generous with something as transitory as kindling for the fire, what do you suppose he will do for us? In fact he invokes all three Persons of the Trinity to show us how a God-centered, God-directed, God-saturated life functions. God expects us to put our faith into action, which takes effort. In each case, their dependence on God alone was rewarded. The shift was that easy and that subtle. If God takes pleasure in his handiwork, is there anything wrong with us feeling good about our achievements? Paul says that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Rom. We have been given the ability to manipulate our environment. In the first instance, he relied on the Lord, who delivered him and his kingdom from being destroyed by a “huge host.” In the second instance, however, he turned to the king of Syria for help (2 Chronicles 16:7-9). He will be like a bush in the wastelands; he will not see prosperity when it comes. 5 Philip Yancey, “What Surprised Jesus,” Christianity Today, 12 September 1994, p. 88. His biggest mistake is the belief that success will fulfill his deepest longings. 7 Quoted in Bill and Kathy Peel, Discover Your Destiny (Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 1996), p. 215. "But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, And who trembles at My word. X Pb. The more mature in the faith we are, the bigger God will be for us. He was attacked by kings, priests, false prophets and, most painfully, his friends (Jeremiah 20:10) and family (12:6). Find freedom through your dependence on God. The creation story clearly shows that God enjoyed himself as he went about the work of creation. “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe” (Proverbs 29:25). Our Story; Our Mission; Our Beliefs; Our Staff; Resources . “I am not. He saw beside the menorah lampstand that provided light in the temple two olive trees, one on either side with pipes from the lamps that fed oil directly into lamps. Dependent on the provision of God that has been taught to me through the generations that have come before me. We depend on God because He is willing and able to help us in every situation. Every tactic. On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram and said, “To your descendents I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the Euphrates…. There are only two possible perceptions of God’s character and our circumstances; each of us will choose one when we encounter trouble. So, why did God put Elijah on the total dependence diet? After all, humans are of much greater value than any bird. Our dependence on God is linked to our trust in Him. Our Absolute Dependence on God - Free download as PDF File (.pdf), Text File (.txt) or read online for free. The prophet Jeremiah provides us with a look at two conflicting sources of personal dependence: “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord. No one has ever found a way to improve anything without changing it in some way. BGEA is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. God had provided enough oil for her to sell, pay her creditors back, and live on the reminder of the income with her two sons. . "I did the best I could," she said. This spiritual truth is supported by the Best Bible Verses About Dependence On God. In the end, he commits suicide. Ecclesiastes 9:10: Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; Mark 14:8: She has done what she could. Living in dependence on God means submitting to His authority and leadership in your life. Here are some practical ways to depend on God alone: 1) Pray. Prayer is not something for useless people who have nothing better to do in life. I know she prayed first with my son-in-law but soon after I got a text asking for prayer. God desires that we should live in a real, moment-by-moment, total dependence on Him. Dependence on God. Clearly, God wants us to use our intelligence and experience. I believe there is scarcely an error in doctrine or a failure in applying Christian ethics that cannot be traced finally to imperfect and ignoble thoughts about God.3. DEPENDENCE ON GOD “Until you have given up your self to Him you will not have a real self.” - C.S. It requires commitment. They are industrious yet carefree. Most of the Psalms of Ascent are unattributed, but four of the fifteen songs are attributed to … They have the potential to completely alter our trajectory, to change how and why we lead and forever mark those watching us from a distance. John 15:4-5 – “Remain in me and I will remain in you. I posited above that on the Catholic account, liberty is predicated on willed dependence on the truth about God and man. Bible Verses about Dependence - For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your… Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on… In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps… My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength… I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help… Christ demonstrated and fulfilled his mission to live a sinless life (1 Peter 2:22), yet we see that he also desired relief and felt the Father’s silence (Matthew 27:46). Our real idea of God may lie buried under the rubbish of conventional religious notions and may require an intelligent and vigorous search before it is finally unearthed and exposed for what it is. IBC App; Watch Live; Media; Care; Devotionals; Share Your Faith; Employment; Give; Prayer ; Our Dependence on God . God’s word to him in Zechariah 4 is everlastingly and universally true: Work hard and smart. It is how we increase our dependence upon God because we come to understand that without Him we can’t do or be anything. He must swear by His own integrity, using His divine nature as an everlasting guarantee.8. Presumption Is Not Dependence. Sproul reminds us of the absolute dependence of God as demonstrated in his promise to Abraham: So the Lord said to [Abram], “Bring me a heifer, a goat and a ram, each three years old, along with a dove and a young pigeon.”. One way we can do that is by depending on God in the face of our daily pressures. But the … Habakkuk learned that “the righteous will live by his faith” (Habakkuk 2:4), and he was not talking about faith in men. If God can be trusted to take care of big things, can we also trust him with the small details? Instead, depend on God and remember that the things that are impossible with men are possible with God” (Zechariah 4:1-7; Luke 18:27). When we make people the basis of our confidence we experience rejection and disappointment again and again. During his reign over Judah, King Asa was confronted by two crises that tested his dependence on... “The Arm of Flesh” (Jeremiah 17:5). The same God who so wonderfully clothes the flowers of the field is responsible to care for them. Dependence On God, Faith, God's Love, God's Sovereignty, Hebrews 12:28-29, Ministry, Obedience, Psalm 100, Revelation 14:7, Revelation 4:8-11, Righteousness, Romans 12:1-2, Sin, Wandering, Worship; Pastor Erik Raymond wrote a “Declaration of Dependence” for The Gospel Coalition. When asked whether he understood the meaning of the vision, Zechariah said, “No, my lord.” He was then told, “This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, ‘Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts'” (Zechariah 4:6). Grammy on January 22, 2016 at 10:25 am If something hard comes into our lives we should run to God first before we run to our family and friends. Then birds of prey came down on the carcasses, but Abram drove them away…. Complete emptiness is not comfortable but moments of dependence on God accomplish for us what nothing else can. Ai was no threat, certainly nothing like Jericho, so “make not all the people to labour thither; for they are but few” (Joshua 7:3). 154-157. First, the same God who gives us the greater gift of life will certainly supply the lesser gifts of food and clothing. Our problems arise when we refuse to place our trust in the reality of His presence. It is a culture of dependence. Just give your mistakes, your burdens, and your busyness over to Him in prayer. Come here Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (tell their story). As he prodded, Jeremiah lived with opposition and persecution, and one wonders whether Jeremiah ever asked himself the question that confronts many leaders today: “Since change arouses opposition, why not back off and let things remain as they are?” That wouldn’t have been a good option for Jeremiah. That if our existence is thus absolutely dependent upon Him, we should be ruled in everything by His will. When Solomon first built the temple, he had the optimal situation – nearly unlimited resources and a motivated workforce. Jeremiah draws a sharp contrast between those who depend on human strength and those who depend on the living God. That if our existence is thus absolutely dependent upon Him, we should be ruled in everything by His will. Tweet this. Surrender is the act of giving up or yielding oneself or the possession of something to the power of another (Meriam-Webster dictionary). How to Live in Humble Dependence on God . When we engage in any activity, we are faced with the option of depending on ourselves, or on God. Dependence sees God as being everything; presumption sees Him merely as a resource for dealing with crises. Chuck Smith began his ministry at Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa 42 years ago and has watched God expand it to a worldwide ministry of hundreds of churches and a Bible college with 52 satellite campuses in the United States and abroad. The problem may be that God’s faithfulness is too faithful. Finally she called the foreman. God wants to involve Himself in every aspect of the lives of His people. James 2:26: For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. Faith is only as good as the object in which it is placed. As our vision of God becomes clearer and we understand his enormity, we learn to rest in him. Second, the God who cares for birds will care for his people. Fully depending on God is basic to the Christian life. The next time you’re under pressure, pray for the grace you need to depend on God, who is perfectly and eternally worthy of your trust. Declare today that you will place your life under God’s authority. He will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a salt land where no one lives. But if God doesn’t look favorably on your work, it will result in nothing significant. A right conception of God is basic not only to systematic theology but to practical Christian living as well. Are you not more important than [the birds in the sky]? When the Israelites crossed the Jordan River, their first obstacle to possessing the land of promise was the walled city of Jericho, an important and formidable outpost protecting Canaan’s eastern border. A field of wild flowers sprinkled across a bed of fresh spring grass is a remarkable sight indeed. Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Zerubbabel must have felt overwhelmed. After we have done what we can, God does what we can’t. Yet we… In fact, this was the source of Paul’s frustration with the “foolish” Galatians, “Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?” (Galatians 3:3). Bible Verses about Dependence - For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your… Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on… In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps… My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength… I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help… The challenge was not as great as the previous occasion and, besides, there was enough gold in “the treasuries of the house of the Lord and of the king’s house” to lure Syria into a treaty and provide him protection (2 Chronicles 16:2-4). Worry-free does not mean trouble-free. David did right by standing up to Goliath (1 Samuel 17). Matthew 6:25-34: Dependence on God April 30, 2015 This is the most basic lesson we have to learn as followers of Christ; and it is the lesson with which we struggle most frequently: Do not worry about your life . His task was so huge he needed a prophet of God to give him perspective. Romans 8:29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. “Aslan, you’re bigger,” she says. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Why vacillate on so simple an issue? In typical Jewish fashion, Jesus reasons from the greater to the lesser: If God has given us life, won’t he be faithful to give us the things that will sustain that life and make it rich and rewarding? Scripture quotations are take from The Holy Bible, King James Version. Are you not much more valuable than they? At the burning bush Moses was being prepared to trust God to bring about that glorious work. Our problems arise when we refuse to place our trust in the reality of His presence. To think and analyze. He has no mother. This acknowledged dependence causes us to run to him for everything and anything. Following the strategy God gave Joshua–which was to march around the city walls in silence for six days, then raise a shout and sound trumpets on their seventh circuit on the seventh day–they witnessed their first victory in the new land. But prayer to God and dependence on him for the outcome is the wise leader’s constant strategy for success. Do you see how they shifted from dependence to presumption? How does a leader survive such hardships and still maintain his integrity? After Jericho, the small village of Ai blocked their path. His son, Biff, comes to see the truth his dad could not face: There were a lot of nice days. In fact, God’s work is far greater than the available human resources. He had the wrong dreams. DEPENDENCE, on God. Our second dilemma could be phrased: “Since change arouses personal opposition, I have to steel myself against the way people feel about me. God will never treat us as orphans who need to fend for themselves. With God, we continue to live. How can we show God that we love Him? There are at least two practical conclusions deducible from this the most obvious and the most solemn of truths. But those whose faith is secure in the One who is secure are able to live above the worries of this world. It seems faithfulness often goes unappreciated – especially the faithfulness of God. Read it first. The Babylonians had destroyed Jerusalem and its temple 70 years before, and now Zerubbabel was in charge of the group that had come back to rebuild it. Reality, for far too many of us, is quite the opposite. But Jesus cautions us against worrying about anything – even the food we eat or the clothes we wear: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. If we lose one job, we have a chance to perform better in our next employment. My wife and I passed the countdown in the dining room of Old Faithful Inn overlooking the geyser. Every blossoming flower is a reminder of God’s faithfulness to us. In business, doing so is more than smart – it’s essential. Prayer is not merely getting our needs met. 1 C.S. As Dallas Willard points out: People who are ignorant of God…live to eat and drink and dress. At the burning bush Moses was being prepared to trust God to bring about that glorious work. John 14:15 – “If you love me you will obey what I command.” 1 Jn.3:18 – “…Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth.” A life of dependence is a life of meaning and impact. Rather, seek His wisdom. David Wilkerson (1931-2011) November 9, 2017. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Lewis’ Prince Caspian, a child named Lucy encounters Aslan, the Christ-figure of the Narnia stories, after not seeing him for a long while. Why would he do this? A practical consciousness of our dependence upon God is the spirit of religion. Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Proverbs 3:5-6. Willy Loman personifies failure and broken dreams as he spends his life chasing the ever-illusive dream of being an irresistibly successful salesman. Depending on Jesus and no other, we have a firm foundation on which to stand when we offer our concerns to the Lord. When you pray, you demostrate dependence on God. But I can’t stop caring about what they think or feel. Ministers like myself are called upon all the time to speak in churches and seminars, to teach classes in Bible colleges and to submit articles for publication. Each day will demand our best attention. This dependence begins with our evaluation of the situation, and follows through every step. Thank you for the model of a lover of God who was utterly dependent on the God he loved. Every leader will discover that there are times when it’s hard to trust in God. Once we come to know God as the faithful Father he is, worry simply does not make sense. 8 R.C. There are at least two practical conclusions deducible from this the most obvious and the most solemn of truths. A Prayer for Total Dependence on God Video.