As the watchman looked out over the horizon from his vantage place, he warned the people of any apparent dangers – he told them what he saw. God said to the prophet Ezekiel, "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore hear a word from My mouth, and give them warning from Me" (Ezekiel 3:17 Ezekiel 3:17Son of man, I have made you a watchman to the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.American King James Version×). Similarly, in 2 Kings 9:… The Bible uses the role of a watchman to describe the work of a prophet among God's people. —2Ki 9:20; Eze 3:17. With the community's basic food stores at stake, the watchman's role was critical to the townspeople. I We need to be alert. The answer is yes! Many of their cities were built upon hills so that the view of the watchman would be unobstructed. The prophet had the duty to deliver the sobering message: Unless the citizens of Israel and Judah acknowledged their sins, turned from them, repented and began again to obey God's law, they would die in their sins. "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me." Every Watchman has a particular area of jurisdiction under him. Modern-Day Watchmen. Look at these examples from the Bible that use the word shamar:. If your parents are faithful in teaching you the commandments of God, and teach you by example how a Christian should live, but you refuse to obey, you will suffer the greater condemnation. woch'-man (tsopheh, shomer, metsappeh, notser): Used to designate a sentinel on the city walls (2 Samuel 18:25; 2 Kings 9:18; Psalms 127:1; Isaiah 62:6) or on the hilltops (Jeremiah 31:6).Song of Solomon 3:3; 5:7 introduces another class, "the watchmen that go about the city," and thus, it would seem, points to some system of municipal police. The nation of Israel, the northern 10-tribe kingdom, had been taken away captive into Assyria and Media more than 120 years earlier. Although a blast from a watchman’s horn might startle the sleeping residents, that same piercing … Habakkuk 2:1-20 ESV / 84 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful. All the watchmen mentioned in the Bible were prophets. Son of man, I have made you a watchman to the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me. These passages in Isaiah paint an image of godly people who are given unique vision into the world of today and the world to come. 2 Samuel 13:34 2 Sam 13:34. This leads them to mount the "walls" of society and shout a warning to any who will hear. BIBLE STUDY THE WATCHMAN Main Text: Ezek. A: The good watchman has provided “food at the proper time”. They had to stay alert at all times to see any impending danger and report it immediately. The Role of a Watchman: Amos37 ministries exists to help in the ministry of equipping, teaching and defending the faith. [12] And let your house be like the house of Pharez, whom Tamar bore to Judah, of the seed which the LORD shall give you of this young woman. "I have set watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they shall never hold their peace day or night. [8] Therefore the kinsman said to Boaz, Buy it for you. Privacy Policy  Terms of Use. Sometimes called security officers, night watchmen, watchmen or patrolmen, security guards all essentially share the same responsibilities. [10] Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead on his inheritance, that the name of the dead be not cut off from among his brothers, and from the gate of his place: you are witnesses this day. American King James Version×explain another aspect. When I tell the wicked, O wicked man, you shall surely die, and you don't speak to warn the wicked from his way; that wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at your hand. Bible verses about Watchman. It was not just a strident message focused only on pointing out their problems. Through neglect or laziness we could let down and be overcome with sin, or a sudden calamity could overwhelm us spiritually. [11] Behold, the LORD has proclaimed to the end of the world, Say you to the daughter of Zion, Behold, your salvation comes; behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. He was able to call out to the gatekeeper and announce the approach of someone who was bringing news at a time of conflict. Ezekiel 3:20-21 Ezekiel 3:20-21 [20] Again, When a righteous man does turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumbling-block before him, he shall die: because you have not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at your hand. American King James Version×). Regardless of how individuals responded to the warning, if they heard the message, the prophet had done his job and was no longer responsible. It is a feature of the Gospel that would sit very It is repeated in chapter 33 for emphasis, and sets the stage for the prophet's ministry to the divided houses of Judah and Israel. 'Watchman' in the Bible. Guards will routinely inspect the property for any suspicious activities. bringing in what Isaiah tells us about those who would preach the gospel of peace The Greek word gregoreo,translated as “watch,” means to keep awake, to watch and to take heed. It's vital you understand the answer to these questions as events grow increasingly tense in a rapidly changing world order. From that vantage point, he was able to see a man running toward the city, and to cry out and tell David who it was that was coming. However, the explanation requires more detail than we can cover in this article. The Duties of a Watchman “have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them” (Eph. The Task of A Watchman By Dave Butts. The Duties of a Watchman. All other gods erected by people to hide His truth will be destroyed.". God appointed prophets as spiritual watchmen over the souls of His people: “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me” (Ezekiel 33:7; also Hosea 9:8). Functions and Duties: The watchman was given his assignment by God, and was held accountable to God for the completion of it. (Ezekiel 3:17/Jeremiah 51:11). There may be more than you have noticed before. Tools. [6] And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar my own inheritance: redeem you my right to yourself; for I cannot redeem it. [3] And he said to the kinsman, Naomi, that is come again out of the country of Moab, sells a parcel of land, which was our brother Elimelech's: [5] Then said Boaz, What day you buy the field of the hand of Naomi, you must buy it also of Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the dead on his inheritance. The answer must be that God's message has a direct application to the modern descendants of these ancient people. [19] Yet if you warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul. The watchman in his tower on the wall of he city was a familiar sight in the days of Israel. In our own day, that involves advocacy work. In 2 Samuel 18:24-27, for example, a watchman was sent up at the time of King David to take his stand on the roof over the gate of the city. And he said, I will redeem it. Yet, if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul" (Ezekiel 3:18-19 Ezekiel 3:18-19 [18] When I say to the wicked, You shall surely die; and you give him not warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at your hand. The Lord has made bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God" (Isaiah 52:7-10 Isaiah 52:7-10 [7] How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of him that brings good tidings, that publishes peace; that brings good tidings of good, that publishes salvation; that said to Zion, Your God reigns! Notice in Mark 13:32-37Mark 13:32-37But of that day and that hour knows no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. They had already been punished. In that regard, we are still in "Bible times." He enjoys hunting, travel and reading and spending time with his grandchildren. He also is a resident faculty member at the Ambassador Bible Center teaching Acts, Fundamentals of Belief and World News and Prophecy. Literal watchmen often stood on the walls of a city to help keep the inhabitants safe. He went from assignment to assignment. Apologetics is the ready defense of the Church. Help for Today, Hope for Tomorrow | Learn more... With a UCG.org account you will be able to save items to read and study later! American King James Version×). Security guards often are private employees of the property manager … Notice it is God's message, not Ezekiel's message or any other prophet's message. He and his wife, Debbie, have served in the ministry for more than 43 years. When I say to the wicked, O wicked man, you shall surely die; if you do not speak to warn the wicked from his way…. Just what was the role of a watchman to an ancient city? We noted at the outset Ezekiel 3:17 Ezekiel 3:17Son of man, I have made you a watchman to the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.American King James Version×, where God told the prophet to warn Israel of its sins and His impending punishment, saying, "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore hear a word from My mouth, and give them warning from Me.". The Bible says that if the watchmen are faithful in their duty to warn others of the results of sin, they will be rewarded. [7] Now this was the manner in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning changing, for to confirm all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbor: and this was a testimony in Israel. [8] Your watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the LORD shall bring again Zion. In times of danger they were on the alert for hostile action against a city, and it was their duty to give word to the king of any suspicious person approaching the city wall ( 2 Sam 18:24-27 ; 2 Kings 9:17-20 ). And when would they be delivered? 1. They served as tangible evidence that the ruler of the city cared for his subjects. Prepare the way for the people; build up, build up the highway! Meanwhile, Absalom had run away. [9] But they that have gathered it shall eat it, and praise the LORD; and they that have brought it together shall drink it in the courts of my holiness. Bible verses related to Watchman from the King James Version (KJV) by Relevance - Sort By Book Order . I will take my stand at my watchpost and station myself on the tower, and look out to see what he will say to me, and what I will answer concerning my complaint. The watchman said, “I think the running of the first one is like the running of Ahimaaz the son of Zadok.” And the king said, “This is … They see the dark gathering clouds on the world's horizon that spell the end of Satan's reign as the god of this world and author of all its evil. He was a contemporary of Daniel. [2] And he took ten men of the elders of the city, and said, Sit you down here. You can also imagine the watcher standing vigil at other times, observing the daily life of the city. You who make mention of the Lord, do not keep silent, and give Him no rest till He establishes and till He makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth. It will show the true teaching of God and the way to salvation. No one ministry can watch everything. If the prophet gave adequate warning, instruction and positive teaching, the righteous could understand the consequences of turning from the right path. This is to head off would-be criminal or malicious activity, such as vandalism, arson, theft and illegal drug deals. You who call on the LORD, give yourselves no rest, and give Him no rest till He establishes Jerusalem and... A Watchman’s Story. God has established the believers as watchmen, because we can clearly see the coming danger in the spiritual realm. Let's look closer at what a watchman is to do by bringing in what Isaiah tells us about those who would preach the gospel of peace. The young watchman stood silently at his post on the wall. the faithful watchman. Furthermore, it is also crucial for us to understand some of the characteristics that the Bible gives us of a godly watchman because this is no small calling. Consider this. They see that God will bring that Kingdom to earth and will offer salvation not just to Israel, but also to all nations. The role of a watchman is vital to a full understanding of the work of God in the end time. He knew the people, their work, their habits and their lifestyles. Faithfulness does not involve uniform or even usual success. "Go through, go through the gates! 3:17, 33: 1-33, Is 62:6, Hab.2:1-2, 1Peter 5:8-9 Introduction A Watchman is a person who keeps watch or guard over a specific location. Is there more to this symbolism than many have understood? While the young man standing watch was looking around, all of a sudden he observed many people coming down the road behind and to the west of the mountain! The role of a watchman is not limited to speaking only about the sins and problems of the society. Let's keep this point firmly in mind. Ezekiel 33:7. Knowing the role of the prophetic voice, or watchman as I will begin to call them is vitally important. [10] Go through, go through the gates; prepare you the way of the people; cast up, cast up the highway; gather out the stones; lift up a standard for the people. 5:11) There is a particular feature common to both our Old and New Testament readings for the day, following the Bible Companion. Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. And he turned aside, and sat down. The watchman was also charged with proclaiming good news about salvation. Their eyes were always on the horizon, looking for the slightest bit of danger. Send inquiries regarding the operation of this Web site to webmaster@ucg.org. "The Lord has sworn by His right hand and by the arm of His strength: 'Surely I will no longer give your grain as food for your enemies; and the sons of the foreigner shall not drink your new wine, for which you have labored. God has established the believers as watchmen, because we can clearly see the coming danger in the spiritual realm. Darris McNeely works at the United Church of God home office in Cincinnati, Ohio. In ancient times watchmen would use a watchtower like this one, still in use today in the hill country of central Israel, to watch and warn of approaching danger. WATCHMAN. The LORD make the woman that is come into your house like Rachel and like Leah, which two did build the house of Israel: and do you worthily in Ephratah, and be famous in Bethlehem: It leaves us with the question: Is there to be a future fulfillment of this prophecy? If the goal is to get people to turn back to the Word of God, then the message must also show the benefits of doing so. According to Bible prophecy... we are living in the "end time" of man's rule on earth. [8] The LORD has sworn by his right hand, and by the arm of his strength, Surely I will no more give your corn to be meat for your enemies; and the sons of the stranger shall not drink your wine, for the which you have labored: [7] And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth. Here we see the watchman role given to a group of people charged with a prayer vigil for the well-being of Israel. [9] And Boaz said to the elders, and to all the people, You are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's, of the hand of Naomi. What does it mean for the work of God today as this world comes to a prophetic crossroads? Ezekiel was among the captives from the nation of Judah taken to Babylon during the first siege of Jerusalem in 597 B.C. The cool Judean night caused an... Watchmen of Today. A watchman in the military is usually called a guard or a sentry. They see the reuniting of the tribes of Israel in the Promised Land as the beginning of the times of restoration of all things spoken of by Peter in Acts 3. United Church of God is a 501(c)3 organization. He was situated on a spot from which he could monitor the approaches to the town. American King James Version×). These people, by their presence and their prayers, seek to keep the city from suffering the ravaging effects of evil. They are also described as pastors. They understand the universal application of the gospel of the Kingdom of God. For the Lord has comforted His people, He has redeemed Jerusalem. Notice this in Isaiah: "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who proclaims peace, who brings glad tidings of good things, who proclaims salvation, who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns!'