I love to cook and bake and want to share that passion with you. It is believed that it originated from the Ottoman Cuisine and sultans were very particular how tender it should be. Fill the whole mould. Add the parsley, garlic thyme and pepper and mix well. Sky is the limit when making borek fillings. I have read and accepted the Privacy Policy *, Hi! This dish can be made ahead and it freezes beautifully. Easy borek with zucchini is one of the best example of this.I applied the same logic to easy borek with ground beef also. Serves 4 – 6 Working quickly now, so the phyllo does not dry out. Of course, you can also cut regular Yufka dough into a triangle shape yourself. Burek Roll is a Turkish pastry variety. In Turkish, ‘sigara’ actually means ‘cigarette.’ These pastries got their name due to their long, thin, rolled shape. Trim the overhanging yufka slightly and tuck it under itself. I love to cook and bake and want to share that passion with you. Great as main dish served with salad. When the meat has cooled crumble cheese and add to the meat. They're perfect to serve at a party or just as a simple and delicious snack or side dish for dinner or lunch. This börek works a treat both for lunch and dinner. Turkish Borek belongs from the family of filled pastries. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. However, you can stuff these Rolls with basically anything you like. The outside is so crunchy and … My mom used to make them very often for the guests during our New Years celebrations. … It’s Cashew Dip. And if you like this kind of byrek, you will also love the Turkish borek … (, Chop the spinach mixture coarsely, mix with crumbled feta (. This recipe is with step by step pictures for the convenience of users. The smaller shaped ones are often deep-fried, especially those sold by street vendors or in restaurants. Serve to a party or just as a simple snack or side dish for dinner or lunch. Bake in a 350 F/175 C oven until the rolls puff up … Once the stuffing is ready, place approx. These cheese rolls are called … For the brush on; 1 egg yolk. Should they be processed smooth or do I want little pieces? Flaky thin phyllo dough, filled with white cheese for that extra delicious taste. I got this recipe from someone who brought time to a potluck. FROZEN PASTRY BOREK ROLLS WITH CHEESE. Great for a take along lunch or vegetarian dinner, it needs only 20 minutes of hands on time and 7 … Then roll it tight to the top, also fold in the corners on the right and left to seal as you go, so the filling stays inside the wrap. 100 grams of cottage cheese, Handful of flat leaf parsley (finely chopped). Drain and transfer browned meat to a medium bowl to cool. Usually, Turkish Borek is deep-fried in a lot of oil, be that as it may, in my recipe they’re baked and not fried, which makes these Vegan Spinach Rolls much healthier! Brush the spinach rolls with the milk-oil mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. The pastry is made with thin flaky pastry; it can be sweet and savory. Crispy baked Turkish Borek (Vegan Spinach Rolls) is quick & easy to prepare and make great finger food! As it is difficult to find yufka abroad, I made them with filo pastry sheets and it worked really well. **Note: A Package includes 1 big piece of borek roll. 20.6 g Simply roll up the dough with the filling bake. Thank you . Here our Home Chef is sharing savory Turkish Borek Recipe. Roll each piece tightly to create four cigar-shaped cylinders. Your email address will not be published. See more ideas about Turkish recipes, Middle eastern recipes, Recipes. I’m Bianca, and welcome to my blog! Fold in the sides to seal and roll up tight. I submitted the original recipe, the stuff in brackets is what I had on had when I made them. 6 %, lb sheep's milk cheese (I used feta crumbled). Process of Rolled Cheese Crispy baked Turkish Borek (Vegan Spinach Rolls) are quick & easy to prepare and make a great finger food! Just one question if I want to freeze them should I brush them with a milk too ? In a small bowl beat the egg with water to make an egg wash. This Turkish food is also known as pan borek, but you can also bake it. I served them with ajvar. Lift the corner of the pastry and fold over the meat mixture, then lift and fold the corner on the right and then left to make and envelope about 3- 4 inches wide, then roll up to top. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion 1-2 minutes. Turkish Borek (Vegan Spinach Rolls) are made with Yufka pastry sheets that are very thin pastries made of only water and flour. These delicious rolls of fresh ‘yufka’ dough filled with Turkish white cheese, similar to Feta, are good for you and your taste buds. So far I’ve shared so many easy borek recipes. This oriental finger food is perfect for grabbing and dipping, and you can stuff them with different kinds of vegetable fillings. Place 1-2 tablespoons of the filling near the wide end of the triangle, leaving about 1-inch (2cm) border on each side. Hi! Season with salt, pepper, (nutritional yeast and Italian herbs) to taste. You can either shape these Vegan Spinach Rolls into Cigars as I did or fold them into triangles like Samosas. It’s great for … Brush any remaining egg mixture on top … I made both fillings today and they are so delicious. 4 – 5 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped ( 5 – 6 tablespoons) This Sigara Borek is just another Turkish borek recipe. I’m Bianca, and welcome to my blog! So glad you love this recipe! Crispy baked Turkish Borek (Vegan Spinach Rolls) are quick & easy to prepare and make a great finger food! What is the dipping sauce you use in the photo? Just before you put them in the oven! Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions! You can prepare the rolls in advance and keep under a damp tea towel in the refrigerator. Hand rolling our freshly baked phyllo pastries each day after your orders. https://violifefoods.com/us/product/just-like-feta-block/. Turkish Delight was opened in 1981 and is proud to be renowned as Canberra's first Turkish Restaurant. I had a similar rendition decades ago and was really glad to find your recipe. We prefer to serve different fillings because not everyone is a fan of Spinach and Feta. I just have a question about the cashews and sunflower seeds in the tomato filling. Nutrition is calculated automatically and should be used as estimate. I sometimes use a Tzatziki sauce for dip or mint sauce if using lamb. Thanks. Here you’ll find many delicious recipes which are mainly plant-based and easy to make for everyone. But the resemblance stops there. Are you familiar with Turkish Borek? Anyways, one of the most popular fillings is spinach and feta (next to the classic onion and potato filling). Repeat the dough and rolling with the rest of the dough sheets. Total Carbohydrate I used a high speed blender for a finer texture but it is totally ok if you have still some little pieces. It’s hard to find sheeps cheese around here unless you go to a specialty food store. Sometimes yufka is called phyllo pastry but actually, it is not as flaky or as frail or thin. It comes in its own tray so you can conveniently cook it in the oven in 30-40 minutes. Place one triangle of yufka dough on a work surface with the longer edge facing you, and brush with the milk-oil mixture generously. Both fillings are creamy, savory and spicy and taste absolutely delicious. Cut it into large chunks and boil until fork tender. Sprinkle the sesame, poppy or black cumin seeds on top of each roll. Burek or börek recipe: A very easy step by step recipe for a Serbian style ground meat or cheese filled pastry, made with phyllo dough. Here you’ll find many delicious recipes which are mainly plant-based and easy to make for everyone. Roll the dough as seen in the photo. These Turkish Borek Cigars don’t have to only be served as a snack during the day for lunch or dinner, but also for breakfast. Furthermore, a Mexican Filling with beans or my Pierogi Filling with mushrooms, a simple Pesto or Cashew Cheese are also great options. There are varieties that are containing cheese, minced meat, spinach, and potato. These are a delicious, turkish version of the spring rolls. There are varieties that are containing cheese, minced meat, spinach, and potato. (, Pumpkin Doughnuts (Stuffed Vegan Donuts) ». So happy that you liked it The vegan feta you used looks good to me! You can freeze the filled rolls in a single layer on a platter, so they don’t stick together and won’t break when you want to remove them individually. I have a question about the spinach filling instructions. Or just before I put them in oven afterwords ? Börek with spiced beef and pistachios Ingredients Let cool slightly and squeeze to remove excess liquid. When the meat has cooled crumble cheese and add to the meat. Luckily, we have a Turkish market nearby. 10. You can fill them with different fillings, such as spinach and feta or cashew and tomato. Hand rolling our freshly baked phyllo pastries each day after your orders. Burek Roll is a Turkish pastry variety. A classic vegetarian Turkish/Middle Eastern dish: Spinach and Feta Cheese Börek made layering phyllo sheets with spinach and feta cheese. To make potato filling: Wash and peel the potato. ? I’m not clear.. must I divide the sonaich in half and sauté the first protium with garlic and onion and keep the other raw and mix with feta? Börek in the Turkish language refers to any dish made with a round sheeted dough called yufka. Fold the long sides of the dough slightly over the filling. Fantastic recipe. Filed Under: Breakfast, Fingerfood & Snacks, Lunch & Dinner, Recipes Tagged With: baked, cheese, crispy, dairy-free, dip, pesto, savory, snack, spicy, spinach, vegan, vegetables, vegetarian, Hi ! I linked the recipe in the text. To be honest, Turkish Borek Cigars have always been one of our family’s all-time favorite snacks. First time I have ever heard of Yufka pastry, and everything in both fillings had my mouth watering. However, I think it’s easier to buy the ready-cut Pastry sheets so you’re done faster! Ready in less than an hour and perfect recipe for entertaining. Of course, she always prepared a lot of these Spinach Rolls, because they are eaten much faster than you would expect! that looks great as well, Thank you, Lydia! 8. If there are some parts on the ends without filling, cut those parts. Not sure if it had to the with the feta I used which was Violife’s. . Add the garlic and spinach and sauté 1-2 minutes longer until wilted. Serve with a salad or two on the side, if you like. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Cooked by placing various ingredients between the spread dough. The spinach filling didn’t get as crispy as the tomato. Make sure to cover the Yufka pastry with a damp dish towel during the preparation, so they won't dry out. They’re perfect to serve at a party or just as a simple and delicious snack or side dish for dinner or lunch. Continue with the remaining sheets, adding each roll to the end of previous roll in the baking mould. Making this right now. Spinach and Feta Cheese Borek (or boerek) is a Middle Eastern dish of Turkish origin. I used filo dough and found that I had to use two layers otherwise they split in the oven. Heat some of the olive oil in a heavy pan a fry the meat rolls, turning to brown on all sides, lightly flatten them with spatula while frying. As virtually all böreks it’s also perfect for bringing along when you need something on-the-go. Yields around 12 börek rolls serving 2-4, depending on what else is on offer. Appetizer, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner, Main Course, Side Dish, Snack, Snacks, Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion 1-2 minutes. However, when I put them frozen in the oven, I usually just spray them with cooking spray. They’re crispy stuffed pastries that are often served in Turkish cuisine and called “Sigara Böreği”. As with most savory Turkish filled pastries, this borek freeze very well once cooked too. Thanks a lot for amazing recipe ! Required fields are marked *. To make these Vegan Spinach Rolls, prepare the filling first (you can also make it ahead). Much Love, Bianca, Your email address will not be published. There are also triangular dough sheets available, which are perfect for making Borek Cigars. Have I already mentioned that these Turkish Borek can be made vegan very easily? Crispy baked Turkish Borek (Vegan Spinach Rolls) is quick & easy to prepare and make great finger food! Put the soaked cashews and sunflower seeds along with the remaining ingredients for the tomato filling to a food processor and process into a coarse mixture. Middle Eastern Dishes Middle Eastern Recipes Turkish Borek Borek Recipe Turkish Recipes Ethnic Recipes Phyllo Dough Spinach And Cheese Salmon Burgers. With a pastry brush, coat the top of each roll with egg yolk. I made lemon-garlic feta, recipe from Claudia Lucero’s book, “One-Hour Dairy-Free Cheese”, in the spinach filling and used the seeds and nuts for the tomato one. Then place on a baking tray and repeat with the rest of the dough and filling. Turkish Halloumi and Mint Rolls (Sigara Borek) - SocraticFood Serve to a party or just as a simple snack or side dish for dinner or lunch. Take a good tablespoon of meat mix and place it about an 1 ½” to 2 inches up from one of the corners of the rectangle. Sigara borek is made by stuffing a feta cheese mixture inside layers of rolled up phyllo dough and then frying the rolls. Looks amazing! What’s great is you can fry them straight from the freezer. Feb 29, 2016 - Explore Melissa Julien's board "Turkish Borek" on Pinterest. Have fun trying this easy recipe and please let me know if you liked it! The logic of all tis almost same. We loved this recipe, and the two of us ate them all. Read More…. When you dine at Turkish Delight in Belconnen, you are guaranteed to experience authentic cuisine. Add the garlic and spinach and sauté 1-2 … Make a spiral from the rolled dough and gently transfer this to the baking mould. Thank you for the feedback <3. When I was a child I loved taking the leftovers to school the next day, so believe me, they’re also perfect as a snack to-go. https://violifefoods.com/us/product/just-like-feta-block/ We really loved these. You don’t need anything special to serve them with, but, we usually serve them with Cashew Dip or Vegan Aioli and Ketchup. This … 9. You mix yufkas with sauce and spread it into the baking dish without trying to give any shape as crunchy borek and spread the filling inbetween the yufka mixture. You can buy it in almost every supermarket (especially Turkish supermarkets) or order it online. Transfer to a baking tray lined with nonstick baking paper, brush with a little oil and bake for … Bake in a preheated oven at 360°F (180°C) for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Some popular fillings are ground beef or lamb, feta, spinach, and parsley. Soak cashews and sunflower seeds in hot water for about 15 minutes, then rinse and drain. Trying to figure out if I should use a high speed blender for it. Most people that visit Turkey leave loving Turkish cheese rolls. They are otherwise known as ‘cigarette’ rolls or Sigara Böreği but are far healthier than their name suggests. Take 1 sheet phyllo dough brush or spray with olive oil, place another sheet on top and brush or spray again. You can fill them with different fillings, such as spinach and feta or cashew and tomato. Instead of regular Feta, you can either use store-bought non-dairy Feta (“Feto“) or prepare your own cashew ricotta with the following recipe -> Homemade Cashew Ricotta. Unlike our Turkish Borek With Cheese and Herbs, which is layered and then baked, this one is rolled-up and fried in a pan on the stove. Byrek can be baked in large baking dishes or it can be shaped as rolls or triangles. Cooked by placing various ingredients between the spread dough. TURKISH SU BOREK WITH CHEESE Explore. 1-2 tablespoons of the filling at the widest part of each pastry sheet. Anyways, in my opinion, the Spinach and Feta Filling is the best for Vegan Borek, but I also like the cashew tomato filling, which is made of tomato puree, sunflower seeds, and cashews.