Seriously… any excuse. Remove from oven and allow to cool until comfortable to handle. Then I just scooped out what I'd traced out. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. 3. Otherwise, leave it at 1/3 cup. Everyone at work flipped over them! You can also freeze finished potatoes wrapped well and stored in an airtight container for up to 2 months. It turns a simple baked potato into a full main course. Loaded Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes. Sprinkle the potato shells generously with salt and pepper. The twice baked sweet potatoes were the hit of Thanksgiving dinner – everyone wanted the recipe so I am turning them all onto Wyse Guide for more! Life is busy and we don’t all collect dishes – I see you rolling your eyes. I've tried a few myself, and while they're good, we prefer my original recipe (minus the oil step just because it really is time consuming to do that). As long as the food is good, everyone will be happy. Microwaving is fine, too, but check on them periodically so you don't over cook them. With a combination of kale, dried cherries (you could totally use cranberries as well if you’re feeling super festive) and a bit of tanginess from the Greek yogurt, a unique flavor palette emerges. These sweet potatoes have been on my Thanksgivin menu the last two years and if my family has any say, they will be this year as well. Removing too much flesh will leave you with a casserole in a dish! I. Don’t know how to calculate carbs but being diabetic it’s the first thing I check. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Bacon. How to make Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. The nuts and vanilla add such a wonderful touch it makes you wonder why you never tried that combo before! Your sweet potatoes … I really prefer fresh but if you're in a hurry and still want this recipe canned sweet potatoes (good brand) worked out ok! Wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until soft. Removing too much flesh will leave you with a casserole in a dish! 1) Cut back on the brown sugar a little bit. Twice baked sweet potatoes are best fresh out the oven, but you can save leftovers easily! Wrap them individually in aluminum foil and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I am not a huge sweet potatoes fan but this dish was a hit at the dinner and I even liked it. Time to Table. Congrats! If you like it sweet, at 1/2 cup. I am making it this year for Thanksgiving instead of the usual sweet potato … So what’s the perfect side dish to celebrate with this Thanksgiving? INGREDIENTS FOR OUR HOMEMADE BAKED SWEET POTATO BOATS RECIPE. My mother used to cook us twice-baked jackets as kids. No doubt you’ll get major kudos when you place these potatoes on your table.” —Cynthia Boberskyj, Rochester, NY . Lightly scrub the sweet potatoes under cold running water. Otherwise, leave it at 1/3 cup. Facebook; Twitter; email; Print; 167 shares; Submitted by Lilli Jennison. I found that tracing with the spoon an oval shape of the flesh to be removed was an easy way to do this. Spoon mixture into potato skins. I've found that the reason people are having problems with the oil step is that they're putting entirely too much oil on each potato. I was in a pinch this year and I wasn't going to have time to prepare this for tomorrow like I wanted so I used canned sweet potatoes. The basics are very simple: 1. Be sure to keep a rim of potato in the skin to keep it's shape. Also scoop out the top cut piece and set aside. This creamy sweet potato recipe is a huge hit with everyone. Preheat oven to 375°. I've tried a few myself, and while they're good, we prefer my original recipe (minus the oil step just because it really is time consuming to do that). Prep Time. Great and surprising recipe! Twice baked sweet potatoes are literally baked twice. Add vinegar and honey and stir to combine. Really rich and filling -- and really tasty. Scoop out their flesh and mix it with butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper. 2) IMPORTANT: When scooping out the flesh from the skins leave a little bit of the potatoe flesh there to retain the shape of the skin. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Instead of putting them back in their skins, we put them in a casserole that can be held easily before cooking at the last minute for a ridiculously easy but terrifically satisfying side dish. OK it's the day after Thanksgiving and you need to know these were the talk of the meal. I'm the submitter. Me again...the sumbitter. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Bacon. They're great with pork chops or steak, too! Rub sweet potato skins with salad oil. I’m Kaleb! Split potatoes and remove the flesh to a medium sized bowl, reserving skins. I did the same thing last year....yikes! One of our favorite Thanksgiving dishes is sweet potatoes with butter, brown sugar, and miniature marshmallows on top. I love these potatoes. This was great but I ended up putting the mashed filling into ramekins and toasting marshmallows under the broiler. Also, one more tip...leave enough flesh in the skins so they retain their shapes and are easier to work with. Reasons you’ll love twice baked sweet potato casserole . In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. I've found that the reason people are having problems with the oil step is that they're putting entirely too much oil on each potato. Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Bacon. But I know we don’t always have time to go all out and I understand that’s not some people’s cup of tea. If you like twice-baked potatoes, wait until you try this sweet potato version. Step 2 Prick sweet potatoes in 3 to 4 spots with a fork. We normally love marshmallows on our sweet potatoes, but we don't on this recipe because of all the other wonderful flavors. I have been asked to bring this again for Christmas. I made this recipe a few times before and everyone enjoys it. I tried entering another message about this recipe, but it didn't work. These Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are kind of a dream. Come join me on my journey and let’s learn together! So technically these are twice baked sweet potatoes, but I went with the flavors you typically find in a sweet potato casserole: cinnamon, a bit of sweetener, and a crumbly pecan topping. These twice baked sweet potatoes elevate the ordinary potato flavor and turn it extraordinary! I made twice-baked sweet potatoes a few weeks back and thought they would be a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving. The marshmallows were overkill for us. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Walnuts are a great addition. Scoop out the flesh of the potatoes leaving about ¼ of an inch around the edges to keep the shape of the potato. Also, the recipe should call for 1/3 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Anyway, thanks for all the great suggestions and tips. These can even be made in advance and just reheated so no problem making them two days before a big dinner is planned. I've tried a few myself, and while they're good, we prefer my original recipe (minus the oil step just because it really is time consuming to do that). Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cream cheese, brown sugar, margarine, vanilla, salt and pepper. Food and garden inspiration from an Iowa farmhouse. Your email address will not be published. I first saw this recipe in BHG magazine in 2006 and made them for Thanksgiving. Thanks Shannon great find:), Who are they kidding with the oiled skins?? You can even add marshmallows if you’d like! Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes are very do-ahead. They were MUCH too soft to stuff (as we thought they might be when the recipe said to oil and wrap with foil). No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Info. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes {With Cinnamon } - Life Made Simple I think using foil is a bit better as the skins don't risk burning at all. :) Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — November 15, 2010 @ 5:08 pm Reply. In another bowl, add brown sugar, butter and cream cheese and the all of the spices and mash with a fork or rubber spatu… Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with a light, fluffy filling topped with toasted pecans are the ultimate Thanksgiving side dish! My goal is always to create food that accomplishes two things: What’s so great about this sweet potato recipe is that it does both of these things. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place on a large piece of foil … Plus, can we talk about that little bit of feta on top – yum! 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened, I tried entering another message about this recipe, but it didn't work. I did the same thing last year....yikes! Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Add the mixture back to the shells, sprinkle with a little cinnamon, and bake until golden brown. You saved Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes to your. These Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes only require 5 ingredients, that’s it! If you like it sweet, at 1/2 cup. More than one person told me these were the best sweet potatoes they ever had! :-). Bake at 425 for 1 1/2 hours. Scoop out the flesh of the potatoes leaving about ¼ of an inch around the edges to keep the shape of the potato. Pretty much anything goes. https://www.simplystacie.net/2014/01/twice-baked-sweet-potatoes We love the taste of sweet potatoes and this version is simple and delicious. Mash until all ingredients are incorporated and mixture is mostly smooth. YOu can omit the oil and foil step, and just bake noramlly. Pierce sweet potatoes all around with a fork. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. I also added 2 TB of lemon juice 1 TB pumpkin pie spice changed the walnuts to pecans & topped with marshmallows. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. These healthy stuffed twice baked sweet potatoes are an easy weeknight dinner recipe or appetizer your whole family will love. :-). Required fields are marked *. Regarding foil or no foil I've tried both. I made this recipe last year and received rave reviews! A friend served a version of these at a luncheon, and I absolutely loved it. Microwave on High 5 minutes. By USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson; WATCH. I’ve never seen such a high carb number, 127g. Big disappointment! Mix well and fold in … My husband and I both liked it very much. Anyway, thanks for all the great suggestions and tips. What a surprise! Remove from the oven and allow the potatoes to cool slightly before cutting off the top third of the potatoes lengthwise. They are perfect for the holiday table! November 24, 2020, 5:12 pm 0 Edit. We normally love marshmallows on our sweet potatoes, but we don't on this recipe because of all the other wonderful flavors. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Add the remaining When ready to serve, let warm to room temperature for one hour before baking. It browns just slightly when baked the second time. Made with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and just the right amount of sour cream, these potatoes … Also, the recipe should call for 1/3 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later! I was assigned "sweet potatoes" this Thanksgiving and chose this recipe. YOu can omit the oil and foil step, and just bake noramlly. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes can be served as a side dish or entree. Mix well and fold in walnuts. Pair them with an Instant Pot Whole Chicken, King Ranch Chicken, Crock Pot Pork Loin or even Chicken Kiev. Removing too much flesh will leave you with a casserole in a dish! The filling is yummy but NO oil and NO foil! Share: Sides Christmas & Hanukkah Thanksgiving Cottage Cheese Gluten-Free High Protein Low Calorie Low Fat Vegetarian. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Your email address will not be published. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cream cheese, cinnamon and pecans make ’em extra special. Remove from the heat and add the yogurt. But I did follow the advice of the other review and baked the potatoes at 425 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. 2hr. I have two suggestions. And whether it’s small or large, the menu doesn’t particularly matter when you’re surrounded by family and good friends. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Wash the potatoes and dry them. My changes: Cooked at 400 for 1 hour no oil no foil. I love to plan menus, use my best dishes (I collect numerous sets) and deck the house to the nines. Cool slightly. Also, one more tip...leave enough flesh in the skins so they retain their shapes and are easier to work with. They bake, then they get whipped, then they get baked some more. Remove from oven and cool. Spoon the filling into each empty potato, mounding the top. Add the onion and celery and sauté until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. They were such a hit that ive made them every year since. I love any excuse to celebrate. Scoop out the flesh using a large spoon (leave enough on the base so the skin holds its shape) and reserve bases. Since celebrating is in my nature, when there are actual holidays, I’m at my best. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Walnut Streusel The AJT's graphic designer Lilli Jennison contributes her favorite sweet potatoes recipe. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite Thanksgiving sweet potato recipes! If potatoes are not cooked through, turn potatoes over and continue microwaving 1 minute at a time until softened Cook sweet potatoes in the oven. If you like it sweet, at 1/2 cup. Bake for 5 minutes, or until heated through. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Omg I eat sweet potatoes all the time I just started eating kale put it in a soup BUT I’m going to try it this way ! A variation on twice-baked potatoes, these are an eye-catching takeoff on a sweet potato casserole. Add the kale and sauté until the kale wilts, approximately 2 minutes. Into the bowl with the potatoes, add milk, sour cream, and butter. Also, the recipe should call for 1/3 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I can't believe I admitted that. Once cool enough to handle, cut off the top quarter of the potatoes with a sharp knife. The skins were too soft to stuff but absolutely delicious one way or the other. Easy to make, not too sweet, … Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. When I simply make it through the work week, I pull out all the celebratory stops on my way towards the weekend! I did the same thing last year....yikes! The hazelnuts are just the piece de resistance… I was gifted with a huge container of local ones last month. We swapped regular potatoes for sweet potatoes to bring extra vitamins to the dinner table for these Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cheddar and Bacon. HOW DO YOU MAKE TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES. Microwaving is fine, too, but check on them periodically so you don't over cook them. The marshmallows were overkill for us. lol. Line a baking sheet with foil. It wasn't as good as fresh but it worked out just fine and still tastes pretty good. I'm the submitter. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Chef John's twice-baked sweet potatoes are loaded with bacon, scallions, jalapeno, and lime for the tastiest balance of sweet … Bake on a foil-lined baking sheet until tender, 45-60 minutes. 2. Learn how your comment data is processed. Also scoop out the top cut piece and set aside. With 300 calories a serving, they are a winning recipe! Looks delicious …. The first time is to soften the baked potatoes so you can scoop out the inside … We normally love marshmallows on our sweet potatoes, but we don't on this recipe because of all the other wonderful flavors. There’s no need to settle for regular potatoes at Thanksgiving! By Cynthia Boberskyj, tasteofhome.com “This side always takes my guests by surprise because of the smoky, creamy flavour. :-), I tried entering another message about this recipe, but it didn't work. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Serves. Wow! Even the 'non-sweet potato' folks enjoyed it. I had a small problem with the cooking time though. Prick each potato with a fork and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes. Every Thanksgiving meal needs an awesome sweet potato side dish, and this is the perfect one. I found some sweet potatoes in my fridge that I hadn't used and decided to try it. I love to pair these sweet potatoes with complementary recipes that are also perfect for Thanksgiving: my favorite Thanksgiving turkey, delicious biscuits sprinkled with herbs and cheese, and of course the best pecan pie. I've found that the reason people are having problems with the oil step is that they're putting entirely too much oil on each potato. Then loaded up with a dollop of sour cream and chives. Microwaving is fine, too, but check on them periodically so you don't over cook them. This is the perfect make-ahead side dish with great flavor! Top with some feta cheese and place back into the oven to warm through and brown the cheese, approximately 5-8 minutes. Anyway, thanks for all the great suggestions and tips. 200 calories; protein 3.3g 7% DV; carbohydrates 18.6g 6% DV; fat 12.8g 20% DV; cholesterol 20.5mg 7% DV; sodium 246mg 10% DV. There will be extra filling, which can be baked in a separate small dish. 15mins. Thanks a bunch to Shannon for this recipe you've made me the sweet potato queen in my family! YOu can omit the oil and foil step, and just bake noramlly. This recipe is very good. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. If you find yourself in a pre-feast frenzy, skip spooning them back into the sweet potato cups and just warm the puree and serve it as is. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are perfect any time of the year! Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. As is it's a bit too much like dessert to compliment other menu items. Cut off a thin slice this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. 4. shop now print recipe. Ingredients. I did cut back on the cream cheese and brown sugar just a little and found the flavor perfect. Rhonda and Jake. I love all the options here and can't pick just one I like the best so I make a little of all of them and let my company be the judge. Pierce potatoes … Cut potatoes in half and scoop flesh into the bowl with the other ingredients. The marshmallows were overkill for us. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. They’re so full of flavor, sweet, but not over the top. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Place the potatoes on a roasting tray and bake until tender, 1 hour 15 minutes. Cut potatoes in half and scoop flesh into the bowl with the other ingredients. When a knife inserted meets no resistance, the potatoes are ready. I do not use oil in either case. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork. I'm the submitter. I’m not a chef, professional baker, landscaper or designer, but I like to play each on The Gray Boxwood Farm. Prick them all over with a fork, then rub them lightly all over with olive oil. If doing so, cover with plastic wrap and chill after the potatoes are filled. An hour at 400 or 425 would have been perfect but at 350 degrees the skins were too soft to restuff properly and they weren't even close to being done after an hour (when the rest of my dinner was ready to be eaten). Bake until tender, approximately one hour. Even if you don’t plan your holiday festivities weeks in advance, Thanksgiving is the perfect time of year to appreciate good food. Also, one more tip...leave enough flesh in the skins so they retain their shapes and are easier to work with. The potatoes can be assembled a day before serving. Twice-baked sweet potatoes are a compliment to any meats especially for holidays like Thanksgiving along with turkey or an Easter ham. Add the onion and celery and sauté until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. These incredibly delicious twice baked sweet potatoes of course! Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are so easy they practically don’t need a recipe. Otherwise, leave it at 1/3 cup. Perfectly roasted sweet potatoes filled with hearty sausage, onion, and pepper filling and topped with shaved parmesan cheese. This year it's the dish that everyone has requested again! Stir until completely combined and taste for seasoning. Rub with oil and place on the prepared baking … Sweet Potatoes; Brown Sugar; Cinnamon; Butter; Marshmallows; HOW TO MAKE OUR TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES BOATS. Sweet savory and just plain delicious, it is no wonder they go fast. I used the same ingredients mixed with a blender folded in the nuts now all I have to do is heat it up for tomorrow.