They are not a substitute for real colour samples, because our perception of colour is affected by the finish of the material, gloss, lighting conditions, and other factors. It was on land… Read more ». Hello. It can be finished to a high shine that emphasizes its warm golden brown hue. If the water sits on the surface as a bubble then your wood is healthy; this will then give you time to wipe up the spillage quickly before any seepage and staining. I find the wood color very nice looking. ... concept 5 - lava - iroko wood top. Grain: The grain is moderately interlocked. IROKO TIMBER BOAT DECK SLATS WOOD 10mm - MULTIPLE … centre of the tree trunk or outer area), the age of the tree and the specific area that the tree was gown. Iroko wood is variegated and, depending on its maturity, ranges in color from yellow to dark brown. If you are worried about how it works with other hardwood internally, it's worth considering that Iroko also works well with other hardwoods without clashing. Iroko timber is commonly used as an inexpensive alternative to Teak - they are very similar in density, grain structure and colour after ageing. It is lighter in color than Teak and finishes to a golden brown. Why Iroko? Caring for Iroko. Always choose the final colour using standard colour … Iroko has a strength that rivals that of teak with a decay and insect resistant composition. The material is commonly used in creation of exterior timber gates, benches and decking with or without treatment as it is very durable. Iroko is a brilliant alternative to teak and includes a rot resistant finish and a hardwearing structure that holds up well against insect attack. Iroko wood originates in Africa. NSW. It is one of the woods sometimes referred to as African teak, although it is unrelated to the teak family. Tip - Think of the wood like your skin - if you flick cold water on it and the wood absorbs it then it is crying out for moisture; any spillage will immediately be absorbed and create a stain. I don’t recommend you leave your exterior iroko bare without some sort of paint or topcoat. ASH. Iroko is more than appropriate for this application. Dining table - white - CQ 340. Botanical Name: Chlorophora excelsa. Back to Products. Are Rosewoods (and Bubinga) really banned by CITES? The timber machines moderately easily although it is hard on cutters due to its dense nature. concept 5 - white - wood top iroko. I read that some people kept furniture in the garden for almost 30 years without oiling it, made from iroko. Also always need to coat all the surfaces of the wood and needs to be screwed down from underneath because it is a very strong wood. The colours displayed on screen have been produced electronically. Sustainability: This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices, but is on the IUCN Red List. Iroko Cladding is yellow to golden brown in colour and its texture is coarse, often with an interlocked grain. IROKO HARDWOOD BOAT DECK BENCH SLATS - 17mm MULTIPLE LENGTHS (AFRICAN TEAK) £15.95 to £195.95. I had one terrific job extracting the blade, eventually it snapped, so it was a tough old hombre to cut. Handmade in the UK, limited availability so don’t delay! Collection: Orgins. Initially golden in colour, it will eventually, of course, weather to a silvery grey. Does anyone know if this wood would be suitable as kitchen bench tops, if adequately varnished? The governments allowing the cutting down of Iroko in west Africa are corrupt. Iroko wood is widely used for its durability and is highly resistant to decay making it a popular choice for all sorts of internal and external uses. I have constructed two mountain dulcimers from Iroko and they sound great. Botanical Name: Chlorophora excelsa, Chlorophora regia. BLACK ASH. Colour varies from light yellow to golden brown and texture is coarse, often with an interlocked grain. Iroko is one of the traditional djembe woods. Good luck with repair it. There is severe checking in the rubrail, and some in the coamings too (which were better maintained). While iroko is less flexible than teak, for most outdoor applications this quality can be overlooked. These are Iroko Worktops made from planks which run for the full length of the worktop unlike the finger jointed panels. Pale yellow sapwood is clearly demarcated from the heartwood. Iroko wood colours can vary depending on where the worktop stave has been cut from (i.e. In answer to your question I would say no. Iroko wood fine medium color texture seamless 04408 04408 Iroko fine wood medium color-PBR texture seamless DEMO Note: All the textures previews were loaded in low resolution. It is then necessary to use paints or varnishes without free siccative oil, it is to say, synthetic resin based paints or In addition to enhancing the natural colour of wood, this technique creates a distinctive organic look that preserves the raw wood look for a longer time. WOOD DESCRIPTION LOG DESCRIPTION Color: Sapwood: Texture: Grain: Interlocked grain: Diameter: Thickness of sapwood: Floats: Log durability: from to cm from to cm Yellow brown to more or less brown with golden glints. cw cimento 1. cw cimento 2. sd salty white 1. Drying. KOA. I’d certainly use it again. Works moderately easily with some dulling effect on tools and so a cutting angle of 150 is recommended. Iroko is approx 660kg/m3, moisture content is normally around 8-10%. Cross grain is as easy as pastry cutting, but I ended up cutting many crossgrain actions to ease the length cutting. Woodgrain Colors bgalway 2020-09-02T16:55:20+00:00. Iroko worktops in a Shaker kitchen with oak kitchen cabinets and stainless steel bar handles. Was informed by paint supplier that a product called Sikkens in whitch I am very familiar with… Read more ». It grows in equatorial forests and is inherently highly resistant to changes in temperature, humidity and weather conditions, thus making it perfect for use in outdoor settings. Iroko - Wood Design & More. It is one of the woods sometimes referred to as African teak, although it is unrelated to the teak family. Iroko is very durable. Colors with a gray box around the woodgrain name are Knotwood Standard Woodgrain colors. View the latest Resene Exterior timber stains colour range. The finish can't be matched exactly to other woods like vintage teak but the even grain and density mean that it is possible to approximate the colour of aged teak, mahogany or danish rosewood to coordinate with existing vintage mid century furniture. Our Planed All Round Iroko Timber originates from Tropical Africa and is light yellow in colour when freshly cut, turning to beautiful golden brown when exposed to light. Iroko wood originates in Africa. Fluorescence: A Secret Weapon in Wood Identification, Bow Woods (from a mathematical perspective), Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian, and Other Rosewoods, Genuine Lignum Vitae and Argentine Lignum Vitae, BOOK: WOOD! Iroko, when freshly cut, or when unexposed to light, the heartwood is a distinct yellow colour, but on exposure to light it quickly becomes golden-brown. Investigate a floor finish called Bona-really tough. Iroko wood also has a natural resistance to several acidic and alkaline substances and it does not get stained or spoiled easily. Forgot to mention: my boat has been in Seattle, USA, and British Columbia, Canada, so 9-10 months cool and drizzly each year, with 2-3 months of arid but not hot summer. Back to Products. Do not copy any content (including images) without our consent. Any comments would be most welcome. ROYAL OAK. A very versatile wood as it works with many different brick and render colours, Iroko deepens once exposed to light into a deep golden brown. Standard Colors . Simply pick from the collar colour options listed, Make your Reindeer a tree decoration or a standing ornament… why not add a red nose? It grows in equatorial forests and is inherently highly resistant to changes in temperature, humidity and weather conditions, thus making it perfect for use in outdoor settings. The grain is coarse, yet even, enhancing the natural beauty of the wood. I want to know should it behave good of shrinkage durabilty and termite resistant? Looking for your advise.. Scientific Name: Milicia excelsa, M. regia (syn. Its golden to medium brown color, course texture and interlocked grains give it an appearance very similar to that of Teak; although it is significantly less dense, it has been utilized in Africa in many of the same functions / duties that Teak has in other parts of the world. They are often enclosed by the wood and not visible until the time of sawing, though the wood around them may be darker in colour, thus giving an indication of their presence. Add to basket. Iroko worktops are warm in colour and darken over time - perfect for a solid wood kitchen. Identifying and Using Hundreds of Woods Worldwide, POSTER: Worldwide Woods: Ranked by Hardness. My experience of using Iroko outside is that it is not as rot resistant as, for example, Teak. The wooden hearts are cut in our workshops, usually from oak or iroko wood but can be from opepe which is an oily yellow wood. Also to the walls which will be Iroka veneer what coating should be used ? I was cutting a fairly short length on my bandsaw, the grain however, over the short length already cut, firmly closed up and trapped the blade. West African Iroko Timber is imported at FAS PHND (Pin hole no defect) grade, mainly kiln dried. Take a look and find out more. Good tonewoods do not need to be extremely dense; Koa is not and it is probably the best tonewood that you can get. Usually it is not recommended for horizontal surfaces ,says right on can. £39.00. And they are so grand and beautiful like home tree in Avatar. My boat has an iroko rub rail and cockpit coamings, which I think originally had Decks Olje applied but after 30 years without refinishing much of that has worn away. Iroko Interior Design’s extensive experience in contemporary interior design showcases striking interiors, supplemented by modern décor and furnishings that bring together homogeneous prints, colours, textures and environmental elements to create a balanced and sumptuously tailored residential and commercial interior solution. It has an oil which can also be toxic and the open pores make a nice home for bacteria. The timber is naturally quite lite and yanged from a light golden colour through to a mid brown as can be seen above. It is lighter in color than Teak and finishes to a golden brown. Iroko is a large hardwood tree from the west coast of tropical Africa. All Rights Reserved. We sell it to various destinations duly authorised by the Govt. Colour – Golden orange to brown Grain – The grain is interlocked and sometimes irregular. CHARCOAL ASH. The timber is naturally quite lite and yanged from a light golden colour through to a mid brown as can be seen above. Wood House Name Plates using Iroko (similar to teak) Iroko is similar to teak in appearance and is imported from West Africa. MERBAU WEATHERED. This wooden flooring has a passing resemblance to Teak and this is the reason it is often called African Teak. It has not been maintained well the last 30 years. ... IROKO. The wood is used for a variety of purposes including boat-building, domestic flooring, furniture and outdoor gates. Woodgrain Colors bgalway 2020-09-02T16:55:20+00:00. (This is a monthly update, and your email will be kept private.). Iroko Tassie Oak Light Oak Knotty Pine Royal Oak Spotted Gum Hickory Maple Blackbutt Chestnut Atlantic Cedar im basically re pebbledashing the front of our house as existing has had it, in the centre is what i think you would call a mock tudor frame decorative pattern that is presently made up of pine planks but these have rotted twisted and shrunk into oblivion. TIGER WOOD. Copyright © 2008-2020 Eric Meier | All Rights Reserved. Wood Properties. Colour notes: Resene Iroko is a dry nostalgic greyed brown. Iroko is a large hardwood tree from the west coast of tropical Africa that can live up to 500 years. TASSIE OAK. £30.00 postage. Iroko worktops appear almost iridescent when treated with a number of coats of Danish oil. Botanical Name: Chlorophora excelsa. Iroko wood is tan to golden brown, very durable in the outdoors, used in the boating industry, and … It is almost as durable as teak, but it doesn’t have the same stability. These tress are not sustained. Iroko. Iroko commonly grows to heights of up to 150 feet and diameters of 7 feet, providing a generous quantity of lumber for harvesting. Would like some advice on how to go about restoring an Iroko gate which I had installed approximately 3 yrs ago. Iroko Facts: Iroko is typically used for furniture, boat and ship building, laboratory benches, ply wood, wall paneling, decorative veneer, mouldings, carving, piles and other marine work. Density – 640 kg/m3 Durability – Not Available Hardness – Not Available. KNOTTY PINE. FREE USER - no maps LOGIN TO DOWNLOAD. IROKO EXOTIC WOOD Iroko, also known as "African Teak", is a dense African timber with the properties of genuine Teak. Murrumbateman. Available in air-dried dimension stock for external construction work. Janka Hardness: 1260. Thanks/Avner. I’m building my new home this year 2015. Its golden to medium brown color, course texture and interlocked grains give it an appearance very similar to that of Teak; although it is significantly less dense, it has been utilized in Africa in many of the same functions / duties that Teak has in other parts of the world. The wood colour is initially yellow but darkens to a richer reddish brown over time. So the texture is even but slightly coarse. We will take care of the rest! I know Ipe has a very resonant ring, but I’m reluctant to use it because of its endangered status. (8.5 … Compare. A wood stain finish that adds colour to the timber while allowing the natural grain to show through. When we built our house over ten years ago, we had iroko wood work surfaces in the kitchen. Possible presence of very hard white calcium carbonate deposits, sometimes surrounded by a darker colour. The heart wood is golden-orange to brown. Drying - The timber dries well and fairly rapidly, with only a slight tendency to distortion and splitting. Iroko is an African Hardwood. Iroko is also known as ‘African Teak’ because of its similar appearance and durability. Iroko – Chlorophora Excelsa. Iroko. African Iroko wood is a tough, dense, highly durable wood with a rich coloured grain. Iroko is a highly durable hardwood that is both insect and rot resistant, making it the ideal type of wood for street furniture products. This is the best reason why it is so durable. Color/Appearance: Heartwood is usually a yellow to golden or medium brown, with color tending to darken over time. Iroko. Woodgrain Colors Life like wood grain colors that are also textured to feel like real wood. Although it has yet to be used widely in marine applications, iroko’s cost – around one-third that of teak – makes it an appealing option to consider. Always choose the final colour using standard colour cards available from your retailer. £100.00 . Iroko is a very tough, durable wood that has been traditionally used in a multitude of applications in its native Africa. The wood is tough, dense, and very durable. Origin: West Africa When freshly cut or unexposed to light it has a distinct yellow colour which cures to a rich golden brown. Iroko is a hard wearing tropical West African hardwood, naturally resistant to decay and attack by insects making it suitable for exterior joinery. Dining table - lava - CQ 340. Pricing/Availability: Iroko is imported and available for a moderate price. Colour – Golden orange to brownGrain – The grain is interlocked and sometimes irregular, Density – 640 kg/m3Durability – Not AvailableHardness – Not Available, Sapwood – Not distinguishable from the heartwoodHeartwood – Golden orange to brownTexture – The texture can be rather coarse but even, Growth Rings – Not AvailableVessels – Not AvailableParenchyma – Not AvailableRays – Not Available. Iroko glues and finishes well. Colour varies from light yellow to golden brown and texture is coarse, often with an interlocked grain. Endgrain: Diffuse-porous; large to very large pores in no specific arrangement, very few to few; solitary and radial multiples of 2-3; tyloses common; growth rings indistinct; medium rays visible without lens, spacing wide to normal; parenchyma banded, paratracheal parenchyma vasicentric, aliform (winged and lozenge), and confluent. Iroko The wood itself is a golden/orange brown colour, the sapwood is a yellowish whitey colour. Other causes probably the wood not properly acclimated to site conditions, did you check it with a moisture meter ?. It didn’t make much difference to be fair. Common Uses: Veneer, flooring, furniture, cabinetry, boatbuilding, turned items, and other small specialty wood items. Iroko timber can initially be a fairly light yellow colour but it darkens by a few shades to a deeper brown / golden colour over the space of a few weeks.